Curiosity Inspired Long Range Remote Vehicle - a project I want to get OCUK started on.

Man of Honour
I'm willing to offer my CAD skills with this.

Can do both 2d and 3d in solid works for parts that need milling laser cutting etc.

Pinter_75 would be very helpful to have on board as this is his area of expertise.

Soldato
maybe using a arduino controlled via bluetooth from a android phone may be the best solution for control.
Video streaming/ audio could probably be done by using the phone as a mobile wifi point and using i.p. cameras??

Would have to actually spend some time researching this, maybe a project for a free day at work

Soldato
maybe using a arduino controlled via bluetooth from a android phone may be the best solution for control.
Video streaming/ audio could probably be done by using the phone as a mobile wifi point and using i.p. cameras??

Would have to actually spend some time researching this, maybe a project for a free day at work

Bluetooth has a tiny range and using i.p cameras is going to rocket your power usage.

Soldato
Bluetooth has a tiny range and using i.p cameras is going to rocket your power usage.

Bluetooth to the phone mounted on it, app to communicate with phone, similar to remote desktop.

You can Pick Up a Wifi Camera which run off a 5vdc supply and draw <12W. Just use a d.c. to d.c. converter and have them run of a seperate lipo Battery.

The main issue I can think of is the phones signal strength and quality will have a massive impact on overall quality of control and pictures, plus wifi, gps and remote control + bluetooth will kill the battery...

DcD

DcD

Associate
I know absolutely nothing about electronics but I'd love to get involved.

How much would this all cost? If it's a fair amount, why not open it to kickstarter and try and get a wider community input? I think you'd be suprised how many people would get involved.

I also imagine if you got this going quite well, local papers and radios could lap it up.

If this got off the ground and was a serious project, I'd be more than up for following it along as a videod documentary and help/handle any online promotion. I know it's just a bit of fun, but people would be interested!

Soldato
OP
Great responses guys, really chuffed with the enthusiasm.

To whoever wrote above that I under estimated it, not at all, but I am a person who strongly believes anything can be done if anyone puts there mind to it, like J Lovell said, it's not a miracle we went to the moon, we just decided to go.

Anyways tomorrow I shall draw up a table of names, and expertise, also welcome are people who cant contribute much accept bags of enthusiasm - this is an awesome trait that's the 1st thing I always look for :)

Just so everyone knows I'm willing to donate a fairly large chunk of money to this, few hundred at least. My expertise are general tech know how (can pretty much build anything without sounding to dodgy :eek: ), degrees in ocean science and masters in I.T. with AI. (finished 4 Years ago worked in medical since and now IT systems analyst)

In my free time I'm an utter space addict, photographer and tech nerd, often found dreaming up new and interesting ways to throw kerbonauts about their virtual universe, taking many photos or messing around on my in home tech project (full home automation) , for example just finished a 3 month über computer network in my house with a main home server on redundant and primary raid 5 arrays all backed up to a zfs duel redundancy main system as well as full home CCTV systems and weather monitoring solutions (maybe sounds crazy but I love putting tech together and making it work ! :) )

So yeah thats a little about me so I am reasonably ok with concept and engineering tech stuff but hardcore programmers, techs, electrical, design and dreamers most welcome for sure!

If anyone is interested this is the 1st of many projects I have planned, this seems a reasonable starting point to me, achievable but not easy.

On the side to this I am also designing up rocket systems, and take great interest in other model rocketers around the world.

Anyways bit of background there, will make the list of people available tomorrow, all Sound good people ? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
May I suggest that when this gets going you ask the mods to set up a sub-forum for us to collaborate and have it set to invite only ie. only those working on the project may view it (and the mods of course so that they can ensure we're not trying to take over the world).

Soldato
This sounds like brilliant fun!!
I have absolutely zero to offer in the way of knowledge or skills :(

I'll keep an eye on it, looks like you'll need donations to make this realistic, so once it looks like it's actually going ahead and not just a pipe dream I'll be happy to chuck £20 at it :)

Soldato
OP
May I suggest that when this gets going you ask the mods to set up a sub-forum for us to collaborate and have it set to invite only ie. only those working on the project may view it (and the mods of course so that they can ensure we're not trying to take over the world).

Awesome idea, I will think about drawing up a plan that maybe OCUK could donate a small amount so the car can carry OCUK's logo's and plans

Chris [BEANS];22526884 said:
This sounds like brilliant fun!!
I have absolutely zero to offer in the way of knowledge or skills :(

I'll keep an eye on it, looks like you'll need donations to make this realistic, so once it looks like it's actually going ahead and not just a pipe dream I'll be happy to chuck £20 at it :)

Awesome stuff :D

Awww, we're not taking over the world? :(

*Unsubscribed

Maybe a field, somewhere in the middle of no where :eek: :cool: :D

OK, so mental day at work, but im working on the table now !!

Also taking on board peoples comments and the fact I live in a pretty good place in the UK for all terrain challenges , do we want to:

(My ideas are all based around activities related to or are analogous to space travel / exploration stuff)

1) Go ahead with the remote rover as originally planned (AKA Mars rover)

2) Build a remote submarine with similar ability to the rover, i.e. explore and report back (AKA really is 'another world' and much more 'alien' than an outdoor environment - a water rover that will fly over the seabed exploring the sea floor and water column - also for this due to my history I can get it launched from an ocean going vessel a couple miles out at sea - the challenge of course with this is signal degradation - its dammed hard to maintain a good signal but also much harder to think of a power source that will last)

3) Build an atmospheric research balloon - amazing near space for real stuff here, however, its been done a million times - still awesome however

4) Build a long range sub orbital rocket, similar to the balloon idea but more awesome and much higher altitudes - only issues here are arranging air space to launch it and fly it above 100km - i believe however if we can launch it from open water, we don't need to seek permission from anyone.

And maybe for project 2 ......... I want to build a very very very long range remote rover, and put it in the arctic ice cap - now that really is another planet.

Your thoughts ? :)

Soldato
OP
all sound interesting, amphibious arctic rover :D i wonder how much power satellite comms will take?.

Only really need that for the 2nd project, lets get this one done 1st :D

UHF should cover a reasonable distance, im thinking of using long range CB radios, when i were a kid we could talk to people in other countries on them so plenty range.

Chris [BEANS];22528379 said:
Dude, are you sitting in a large secret lair surrounded by minions, with a fluffy white cat on your lap?!?

HOW YOU KNOWS, come out now, ill find u :p

Associate
I have a mathematics degree, let me know when you've got problems to solve :)

I design radio antennas for a living, mostly in the UHF and microwave frequencies. I reckon you'll end up in the 2.4 GHz band. You'll want a nice high-gain directional antenna for the base station and a fairly simple omnidirectional antenna on the car.

Soldato
I cant believe I'm saying this....
But can we make a project brief/specification, outlining the requirements of the project, such as requirements.

Congratulations I now feel Dirty...

From Your OP, I can Gather That you want the following:
Vehicle:
* Off Road Capable,
* Able to a carry Both electronics and charging equipment (solar)

Control Systems;
Full Motor Control? Independent steering? or 2wd front steering?
Cameras able to stream live video and audio
*Most likely easiest to do with WiFi and I.P. Cameras.
* Remote control Over Long rang will have to be via 3g technology as rf, Would require rediculus amounts of power and the bands needed will either cost money or be illegal to use.

Pretty sure a arduino could handle the control of the rover, all we would need is a bluetooth enabled android phone and a custom app.

Maybe Something Like this:
http://www.robotshop.com/productinfo.aspx?pc=rb-rbo-33

With a mobile phone attached. Could probably cover the top in solar panels and have it trickle charge the battery system.

Couple of my own ideas
  • Have a non-static camera mounted on a armature controlled by a step motor.
  • Have Rover GPS Enabled, Which Can be overlaid Onto google maps or similar.
  • Temperature, altitude, etc logger available on line.
  • buoyancy and water proofing as it will be operating in north wales...
If this actually goes ahead, I'm in. Background in electronics, pic/plc programming, instrumentation and frigging.

Back
Top Bottom