Current fastest 7.2k SATA drive?

Associate
My wdigi 200gb single drive is feeling very alone in my system which constantly seems to hit the roof of its file storing abilities, so it needs a few friends...

I'm sure I read on here that the sammy SATA's were the fastest, as well as being the quietest, is this still the case?

250GB is the absolute minimum that I'd want per drive, although 300-500 would be better.

Thanks all :)

Associate
OP
Price isn't really an issue, as there isn't much between the cheapest 300gb and the most expensive.

500GB would keep me going for a while, 2.5 more times the storage of this drive!

Are Deskstars still really unreliable (deathstars)?

Soldato
The new hitachi drives far as im aware are VERY reliable (at least as much so as the other mainstream drive manufacturers). The deathstar was only one particular model of IBM.
Have a read around some reviews though - I think most go to a point of debunking the deathstar label :)

Soldato
LadFromWales85 said:
Price isn't really an issue, as there isn't much between the cheapest 300gb and the most expensive.

500GB would keep me going for a while, 2.5 more times the storage of this drive!

Are Deskstars still really unreliable (deathstars)?
Hitachi are very good drives, they seem reliable, as Mercutio says, the same as any other manufacturer (except Maxtor :D :p) and are very fast. :)

Associate
OP
Might go for the 500GB Hitachi then...I knew Maxtor were unreliable, although some people see it the other way.

I've always had Seagates and Western Digitals, and have never had one die on me *touches wood!* But I may give one of these a try, because everyone in this thread seems to agree that they are quite reliable, and are the fastest 7.2k around at the moment...

Looking on storage review, the 7K500 is apparently slow on the insides of the platters compared to the Seagate 500 and WDigi 400, and the WDigi is quicker on the outside too.

Last edited:
Soldato
LadFromWales85 said:
Might go for the 500GB Hitachi then...I knew Maxtor were unreliable, although some people see it the other way.

I've always had Seagates and Western Digitals, and have never had one die on me *touches wood!* But I may give one of these a try, because everyone in this thread seems to agree that they are quite reliable, and are the fastest 7.2k around at the moment...

Looking on storage review, the 7K500 is apparently slow on the insides of the platters compared to the Seagate 500 and WDigi 400, and the WDigi is quicker on the outside too.
Go for the Seagate then! In all fairness, all three drives and companies you mention are excellent in my view so either way you don't lose.

Back
Top Bottom