Custom Loop Guide - How to Watercool your PC

Associate
No worries :) one last question though and I will leave you alone! How easy was it to mount your gpu block? And did you just follow the instructions that came with it?

Last edited:
Soldato
No worries :) one last question though and I will leave you alone! How easy was it to mount your gpu block? And did you just follow the instructions that came with it?

When you put the standoffs on the block, I found it easier to put the card onto the block. That way you don't waste thermal paste and the card is much lighter than the block so it is easier.

Make sure you have a decent set of screwdrivers aswell :D

Soldato
I think because I've never really used or even seen a watercooling system outside of pictures. I'd prefer to get a kit. Just so I can build it up and watch it running and working as it should.

Maybe then, I can look into customizing the kit. But for my first attempt, I'd like a paint by numbers kit :p

my first attempt was also fully custom :D Go for it!

Permabanned
OP
I have indeed :) got a new one for free, basically just walked in there with my friend Erika, we both complained about it, they said 140 quid, we went off on one, and then they said as a one off they could give me a new one for free :D

Result :)

Associate
Thanks for the guide - just what I was looking for.

I'm looking to go WC at the end of Aug. Currently have a Corsair H70 cooling the CPU which *seems* to be doing a decent job. It's the 480gtx which is causing me problems.

My PC is stuck on the floor in a corner (missus' decree) so I don't think it's getting enough cool air into it. With our odd spat of hot weather recently in the south, the gpu fan went nuts - rpm'd its nuts off. So i want to go WC.

My question is - given the guide posted in the OP, it means only specific gpu blocks or a cover plate. But what about the 580 'hydro' cards with the plate already built into it? Is that sufficient or should I not even consider them? (Complete WC noob here).

Soldato
Thanks for the guide - just what I was looking for.

I'm looking to go WC at the end of Aug. Currently have a Corsair H70 cooling the CPU which *seems* to be doing a decent job. It's the 480gtx which is causing me problems.

My PC is stuck on the floor in a corner (missus' decree) so I don't think it's getting enough cool air into it. With our odd spat of hot weather recently in the south, the gpu fan went nuts - rpm'd its nuts off. So i want to go WC.

My question is - given the guide posted in the OP, it means only specific gpu blocks or a cover plate. But what about the 580 'hydro' cards with the plate already built into it? Is that sufficient or should I not even consider them? (Complete WC noob here).

Firstly, make sure you do loads and loads of reading :p

by plate, I assume you mean block? Some cards have blocks already fitted to them but they cost a LOT so it's much cheaper doing it yourself. you need to make sure your graphics card is a reference design card. If it is, then you can buy a full cover GTX 480 block.

Associate
@Cleeecooo

Yeah - i noticed the cost of the pre-fitted wc blocks were substantially higher. Thing is, I'd very much like to get a new card in prep for BF3 :D *and* WC it. So not sure whether to wait to see what cards come out in September, if any, or spend the time and WC my current 480.

Something tells me it'd be wiser to WC a 580.... :D

Back
Top Bottom