Custom Loop Guide - How to Watercool your PC

Associate
Very informative guide.

Perhaps some seasoned watercooling veterans could think back to when they were novices and give out some tips, things they wish they had known before they started on the WC path. Maybe little things that seem obvious to you now, but for a rookie may not be so apparant.

Soldato
After reading this guide to water cooling I thought it would be an idea to try my hand and get a self contained AIO unit , i know its not the same as the build shown in this thread....but as it was my first ever stab at a liquid cooled system i kinda went the easy rout and got myself an Antec Kuhler 920..although ive not been able to mount the exhaust fan as the screws that came with it are not quite long enough ie 2-3 mms too short and the screw heads are too small for the holes in the back of my case..my case is a Lancool k-62 , But I have to say that straight away i was surprised at the difference in temps my CPU now sits idle @around 25c, used to sit about 34c,..and even my GPU is showing lower temps too, it used to sit @ around 35c now sits at around 30c....so i guess it was a job worth doing

So thank you for the guide :)

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair you would struggle to set up custom that performs anywhere near as good as the rasa 240 kit for near that price ;)

The block is really good, the rad is one of the best you can get, and the pump isn't too shoddy either. I have the kit with an extra 360 rad and gpu block and the temps are phenomenal :)

Btw guys, I missed the delivery of my 2500k today, so will have to wait till Monday for updates :(

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-081-XS&groupid=962&catid=1532&subcat=

Is this the rasa 240 your referring to ?

Soldato
Thanks for the guide Shayper. You mention in the opening post about not mixing metal types - most of the blocks seem to be either Al or Cu (I'm presuming the warning is about having two types of block within the same loop), but the radiators I've been looking at tend to be brass pipework with copper fins.

Simply, my question is what is your warning on metal-mixing pertaining to, and what should I be checking?

Cheers!

Soldato
The most risky is nickle or copper mixing with aluminium.

Aluminium products aren't very common though.. we're talking some older aquacomputer reservoirs and the older phobya extreme radiators.

fittings are usually coated brass and rads have brass terminals usually too.

I mixed nickle/copper/ally with premix coolant that contain corrosion-inhibiting stuff and had no corrosion issues.

Permabanned
OP
The most risky is nickle or copper mixing with aluminium.

Aluminium products aren't very common though.. we're talking some older aquacomputer reservoirs and the older phobya extreme radiators.

fittings are usually coated brass and rads have brass terminals usually too.

I mixed nickle/copper/ally with premix coolant that contain corrosion-inhibiting stuff and had no corrosion issues.

This :)

Thanks for the kind words Mak :)

Associate
Great stuff. Nice and descriptive post with steps and images. Due to images one can get exact idea about water cool. Thanks.

Associate
Can you add a section about how to work in different fittings such as 90 degrees how to get bits together for a fill port and other such things as im hoping to do my second water loop build. my forst build was a OC v8 kit that just came with set fitting and looks ok but I know from build logs that my ne one which I hop to add in a gfx card also could look much better.

Back
Top Bottom