Custom Water Loop Part Advice Please

Associate
OP
I gather thicker rads will make it harder for fans to push/pull air through too. I'm thinking of getting these fans, what do you think?

Last edited:
Associate
Its the pushing of air across the surface of the radiator fins that takes away the heat.
The tradeoff is they have to have work harder in doing so.

Compare a 240mm thick radiator which has 2 fans, with a 360mm thin radiator with 3 fans.
The thick may have the same surface area as the thin but has 1 less fan, so the 2 it does have will need to move more air (faster / noisier) to move the same amount of heat out of the rad.
On the other hand, the 240mm will take up less room longways in your case and needs one less fan... basically its all a tradeoff of space, cost and noise.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK, thank you very much. I've gone and bought 4 Corsair CO-9050044-WW ML Series ML140 140 mm Fans, So i'm going to need a 560mm Radiator, room is not an issue as my case is a tower 900, any suggestions about which make, thickness?

I'm back) because my radiator is large, what fins per inch is correct?

Im back again) will the size of my radiator effect flow rate? will I need a beefier pump? jesus i suck at this lolol

Last edited:
Associate
look at barrow fittings, they are of great quality and cost about half of what EK and other people ask for their logo.
And the more rad you have the lower you can run your fans at, I run a 560 alphacool monsta ( 86mm thick ) and my fans are running @ 500 rpm regardless of load, thing is nice and quiet.
And when you are choosing a radiator, keep in mind performance is not the only factor, I know that alphacool doesnt perform like HWL for example, its a few degrees higher, but the reason I went for one of their rads was number of ports on it, the standard is 2, but mine has 7 ports, it might feel like it`s too much and well, you can definately get by with less.
I only have 2 ports free, rest are used by drain valves, tempetature sensors and so on, it`s very convenient using one of the free ones to add some nuke, or die to the loop, or bleed it and so on.
Sure HWL has their SR2 rad but it would have cost double what I paid for the alphacool.
If you need help deciding on a radiator check the reviews on watercooling stuff on xtremerigs and thermalbench, they have quite a lot of those.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks but my parts are already on the way :D

Here's my list, i'd love to know what you guys think.

Water Block = XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4

Radiator = EK-CoolStream CE 560 (Quad)

Fans = Corsair CO-9050044-WW ML Series ML140

Pump and Reservoir = Thermaltake CL-W082-PL00BL-A Pacific PR22-D5 Reservoir/Pump Combo (this is a bit of risk but it's fits the mounts in my case, fingers crossed)

Tubing = Primochill LRT Advanced Clear 13mm ID 19mm OD (1/2" ID 3/4" OD)

Fittings = PrimoChill 1/2in. x 3/4in. FlexSX Series Compression Fitting - Sky White X10

Associate
Thanks but my parts are already on the way :D

Here's my list, i'd love to know what you guys think.

Water Block = XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4
Radiator = EK-CoolStream CE 560 (Quad)
Fans = Corsair CO-9050044-WW ML Series ML140
Pump and Reservoir = Thermaltake CL-W082-PL00BL-A Pacific PR22-D5 Reservoir/Pump Combo (this is a bit of risk but it's fits the mounts in my case, fingers crossed)
Tubing = Primochill LRT Advanced Clear 13mm ID 19mm OD (1/2" ID 3/4" OD)
Fittings = PrimoChill 1/2in. x 3/4in. FlexSX Series Compression Fitting - Sky White X10

Decent list of parts. I assume you went for the EK CE radiator because the XE doesn't come in a 560? Not used Corsair fans much but they're the static pressure version so should be decent. Not a fan of Thermaltake due to previous experiences but they do "clone" well :cool:. The D5 is a solid pump. Probably a good thing you went with the Primochill fittings to go with the matching tubes. Primochill manufacture to imperial specifications so can be a bit tight (nothing dipping in hot water won't fix) on metric manufactured fittings.

Associate
OP
Decent list of parts. I assume you went for the EK CE radiator because the XE doesn't come in a 560? Not used Corsair fans much but they're the static pressure version so should be decent. Not a fan of Thermaltake due to previous experiences but they do "clone" well :cool:. The D5 is a solid pump. Probably a good thing you went with the Primochill fittings to go with the matching tubes. Primochill manufacture to imperial specifications so can be a bit tight (nothing dipping in hot water won't fix) on metric manufactured fittings.

Yes, I wanted the 560 rad because i figured if the rad is that big it doesn't need to be as thick and therefor my fans can run quieter. The reason i went with the Primochill fittings is because i read a lot of people were having problems with their tubing and other fittings, so i took the easy route.

Back
Top Bottom