Cutting a door hole bigger…

Soldato
Hi,

Ive got a 40mm walled log cabin office. Yesterday, I bought some upvc sliding doors to replace the wooden door.

I need to cut the hole bigger and was wondering what saw would be best to cut a nice clean cut?

Would a reciprocating saw work?

I’ll need to cut 1800cm x 2600

Thanks

Soldato
I'd probably go with a circular saw and then just finish off the corners with a hand saw.

My Dewalt DCS391 has a max cut depth of 55mm so i assume most 165mm saws would be the same. I'd go corded though if you don't already have one as cutting at that depth would destroy the batteries from my experience.

You can also get some long jigsaw blades which would do it and would just need some holes drilling initially.

Associate
Make sure you can just widen the gap, don't cut through any load bearing timbers that could be present around the existing door.

Absolutely this! Track saw would be the best tool to use, although getting a long track might be pricey even if the saw isn't, but you could make two cuts. Are you familiar with fitting uPVC door or windows at all? Upvc can expand and contract like crazy "According to engineeringtoolbox.com, at 40ºC your UPVC can expand by up to 2.4cm, which is likely to affect normal use." you have to leave expansion gaps to compensate for the movement which on a large sliding door can be significant, or if you install it on a hot Summers day for the contraction which is going to inevitably occur.

Log cabins are all load bearing, ie the whole cabin itself bears the weight

The issue is less the cutting and more the fact the door should be floating in the gap and not actually attached to the timbers, this is done with trim outside and inside
This allows the door and the cabin to contract/expand

I would probably use a multi tool to cut out a plank near the top of the door, either the very top or one below and then cut downwards with a good sharp saw. Removing plank by plank. Then finish off the top
Rinse repeat for other side, assuming you want to remove from both sides

The quality of the cut wouldn't matter as you would be covering with trim anyway to allow it to float.

If the door depth is different to the cabin wall thickness yoru going to need to pad one to match the other. Remember you shouldn't "join" wall timbers together.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for all the advice. :)

I have a circular saw that can cut 54mm, wasn’t sure if a Circular was the way to go.

do upvc doors really expand that much?? I’m fine chopping the hole wider, upwards is pretty tight though

Back
Top Bottom