Cycling accessories advice

Associate
First off, happy new year to everyone! :D

I'm after a few shiney toys for my new bike, I've done some reading up on bits and pieces but figured before I hit buy I'd ask on here to see if there any alternatives I should check out.

First, I need some new pedals as they're far too small for my feet, looked at 'clipless' (why are they clipless when they clip in?!) pedals, specifically the Shimano M520s. Is it possible to do short cycles without clip shoes on these? If I get on with these I'm thinking of adding some clipless to a roadbike too, I've been looking at the R540s, however I can't make out if they use the same cleats?

Next question is cycling shoes, the only ones I've tried on were supposedly recessed cleats, but they still seemed to be in contact with the ground. If I spent more money on shoes would these completely remove the cleat from the ground or is this how they're designed?

Bike GPS, looking at the Garmin Edge 200, however the lack of ANT+ compatibility is slightly off putting and the Edge 500 is quite expensive when I have other more important things to buy. Is there a cheaper ANT+ compatible GPS worth looking at or should I just put off until I can comfortably afford the 500?

Finally, high power lights that are completely toolless? I'm really struggling to tell which are and which aren't so any recommendations would be great here.

Soldato
looked at 'clipless' (why are they clipless when they clip in?!) pedals
Before 'clipless' pedals with cleats were invented, everybody used pedals with toe clips and straps. So the new style of pedals with cleats removed the need for toe clips, so they are called 'clipless'.

Shimano M520s. Is it possible to do short cycles without clip shoes on these?
You can get double sided pedals with a cleat on one side and a flat pedal on the other side so you can ride in trainers or something.

If I get on with these I'm thinking of adding some clipless to a roadbike too, I've been looking at the R540s, however I can't make out if they use the same cleats?
The M520s use an "SPD" cleat (intended for MTBs)
The R540s use an "SPD-SL" cleat (intended for road bikes).
The cleats are not compatible with each other, however you can fit either pedals on any bike. So you could have a road bike with M520 pedals on it as well (many people on here have this setup)

Next question is cycling shoes, the only ones I've tried on were supposedly recessed cleats, but they still seemed to be in contact with the ground. If I spent more money on shoes would these completely remove the cleat from the ground or is this how they're designed?
Most MTB shoes have recessed cleats, which shouldnt touch the ground when you're walking. Road cleats (SPD-SL) dont work with recessed sole shoes.

Soldato
My advice would be to get some M520 pedals and some MTb shoes. Something like DHB ones from wiggle.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/

For a beginner you get the following.

Double sided pedal which is easy to clip in and out of. Tension is adjustable to suit your confidence level and desired degree of float.

MTB shoes you can walk in when off the bike. I have been using them for 18 months and the above is a cost effective entry into road or mtb cycling. Get you confidence up, be prepared for the odd "moment" in them but you wont go back to flats ever once you are used to it.

Man of Honour
You can get double sided pedals with a cleat on one side and a flat pedal on the other side so you can ride in trainers or something.

The only problem with this is if your journey is stop/start and you have to keep taking off one foot only then to prat about with the pedal to get it round the right way when you start off again.

So you could have a road bike with M520 pedals on it as well (many people on here have this setup)
Most MTB shoes have recessed cleats, which shouldnt touch the ground when you're walking.

This is what I and many people use.
My Shimano M064's have recessed cleats which mean I can walk around as normal and both sides of the M520s are cleated so you don't have to mess about finding the correct side.
A workmate has got road cleat pedals where only one side is cleated and his shoes have an 'outside' cleat which means he uncomfortably walks into work.

Another tip if you're going the cleat route : practise and practise some more removing your feet off the pedal quickly. I became a right foot remover and leaning to the right when coming to junctions but even after 6 months of daily riding I still sometimes make the mistake of leaning my bike to the left at a junction while removing my right foot - disaster or at the very least comedy gold for drivers.

Soldato
You can certainly ride a bike with clipless pedals without wearing proper cleat shoes to clip you in.... however, it depends on the size of the pedals. If they are small spd pedals, then chances are your feet will just slip. If you have large pedals, such as some of the MTB type ones which have cages like a traditional pedal, then its quite easy.

As for ANT+ compatibility on the Garmin... is that something you need?
The main reason I thought ANT+ was required was for powertap hubs which obviously require you to buy one and fit it. I've also seen many say that power readouts are largely useless for anyone but professional bike racers.

I use an Edge 800 and its great for having all the data about speed, heart rate, gps log, height, temperature etc. I'm not sure having the power readings, which would cost more to buy a compatible hub benefits me much as an amateur cyclist.

Soldato
Good question about the garmin, I have just purchased the Garmin 500 from a taiwanese seller on eBay (apparently a grey market import!) yes, its a slight risk, but it seems legit, I will let you know when it arrives if you ask nicely via trust. I did not bother with the full kit, as I will buy the rest as required. I wanted the GPS so I can keep a record of routes, a record of times per route etc. I like gadgets!

Soldato
The main reason I thought ANT+ was required was for powertap hubs which obviously require you to buy one and fit it.
The garmin cadence sensors and heart rate monitors also connect through ANT+
I have a garmin 500 and i dont know much about what other computers are available with ANT+ so i cant help much with that. A few people in the road bike thread have Bryton computers, might be worth a look?

I've also seen many say that power readouts are largely useless for anyone but professional bike racers.
Not exactly. Training to specific power output levels is supposed to be the most effective way to train. It's only really pros that use power meters though because heart rate monitors are a fraction of the cost and only slightly less effective.

Soldato
To answer your question about lights. I've just ordered some Knog 'O' Blinders which are meant to be great as commuter lights (for being seen, not to see).

They are waterproof and tool-less as you recharge them by USB. 50h run time on flashing mode and reportedly 80 lumens from the front and 44 lumens on the back.

They are currently on offer at Tredz.

Associate
OP
Before 'clipless' pedals with cleats were invented, everybody used pedals with toe clips and straps. So the new style of pedals with cleats removed the need for toe clips, so they are called 'clipless'.

Ah, that explains a lot, makes sense too!

The cleats are not compatible with each other, however you can fit either pedals on any bike.

I noticed one was SPD and the other SPD-SL, but wasn't sure if they were compatible. Ah well, I'll have to go with one or the other.

Most MTB shoes have recessed cleats, which shouldnt touch the ground when you're walking. Road cleats (SPD-SL) dont work with recessed sole shoes.

The pair I tried on, albeit cheap, felt like the cleat screws were touching the ground which I imagine would make things awkward. Not having recessed cleats on road shoes makes the pedal choice easier though.

My advice would be to get some M520 pedals and some MTb shoes. Something like DHB ones from wiggle.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/

I'll check the shoes out.

The only problem with this is if your journey is stop/start and you have to keep taking off one foot only then to prat about with the pedal to get it round the right way when you start off again.

This seems sensible and was something I hadn't thought of.

Not need, but I do like the idea of having the heart rate monitor from a fitness (and a geeky) point of view.

Good question about the garmin, I have just purchased the Garmin 500 from a taiwanese seller on eBay (apparently a grey market import!) yes, its a slight risk, but it seems legit, I will let you know when it arrives if you ask nicely via trust.

That would be awesome if you could, thanks.

To answer your question about lights. I've just ordered some Knog 'O' Blinders which are meant to be great as commuter lights (for being seen, not to see).

I've had some Frog Knogs' in the past and they were good... shame I forgot to take them off the bike and you can guess the rest! I might just buy the rear light and try and find something really strong for the front so if I do get caught out at night I can see still.

So it seems that the M520s are the pedal of choice, anything else I should look at shoe wise? I don't want to stump up the Shimano price incase I don't get on with the clipless way, so something of around this price would be great.

Looking into the Bryton, it gets some good and not so good reviews... I use Sportypal as my tracker, is the Bryton able to export GPX files for me to use here? (Only thing I can find is via their software which I'd rather skip if I can).

Many thanks everyone!

Caporegime
The shimano a530 pedals have spd clips on one side and a fairly decently sized platform for riding with trainers. They're more expensive than m520s or a520s but they'll do the job.

Caporegime
Looking into the Bryton, it gets some good and not so good reviews... I use Sportypal as my tracker, is the Bryton able to export GPX files for me to use here? (Only thing I can find is via their software which I'd rather skip if I can).

GPSBabel can pull GPS data off most GPS loggers, and can export to practically any format you can think of, GPX included. It might be a bit fiddly, but you can probably work something out.

Soldato
I have a Bryton and it can output a few file types gpx included but via the website, how do you want to be able to get the files - straight from your pc when hooked up by USB??? I will have a look and see if i can do that later on (will be a mac)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't want to stump up the Shimano price incase I don't get on with the clipless way, so something of around this price would be great.

It will be strange at first and like I said above you will need to practise and at least fall over once to get it to sink in however after a few days you will wonder how you could ever use anything else.

Caporegime
The fun part is trying to ride in trainers on flats after using clipless, and trying to pull up the pedal with your foot when it's not bolted to your pedals like you think it is.

Man of Honour
Just for the OP I decided to ride for 3 miles this morning with my recessed cleats not connected to the 520s and I didn't have any bother at all until I got to steep hill. I still endured but missed the uplift.

Oh and OP, you haven't mentioned whether you've got a toolkit, spare tubes or pump which are mandatory.

Associate
OP
GPSBabel can pull GPS data off most GPS loggers, and can export to practically any format you can think of, GPX included.

how do you want to be able to get the files - straight from your pc when hooked up by USB???

I did find a thread on another forum after asking here, and it appears to be very difficult to access anything via a Bryton. They use their own format which GPSBabel won't recognise, which means they've lost a sale unfortunately.

It will be strange at first and like I said above you will need to practise and at least fall over once to get it to sink in however after a few days you will wonder how you could ever use anything else.

I completely expect to fall over a few times, what worries me though is I've read a few people who've had foot pains riding clipless due to position, and my bike is slightly flared at the back and I occasionally clip my heels on the frame when sprinting, I don't know if to get comfortable I'll be angled to hit the frame.

Just for the OP I decided to ride for 3 miles this morning with my recessed cleats not connected to the 520s and I didn't have any bother at all until I got to steep hill. I still endured but missed the uplift.

Oh and OP, you haven't mentioned whether you've got a toolkit, spare tubes or pump which are mandatory.

That's promising, at least I know I can get by without if I want to nip up the road.

I do have a toolkit, but no tubes, pump or repair kit; something I've been meaning to pick up and the main reason I haven't cycled to some of the far off villages yet, I've been sticking close to civilisation until I pick those up :p

Associate
OP
Pedals ordered this morning and were sent out within a couple of hours, so hopefully will arrive by the weekend. Will nip to a cycling shop tomorrow and try some shoes on, I know I didn't want to throw money at something I might not get on with, but I'd rather know I'm getting the right fit.

Decided to save a bit longer and get the Edge 500 and play it safe.

I've started coming home an alternative route as it's an actual cycle route, only issue is it's not very well lit at all so could really do with a good front light (again one that's toolless). I'll no doubt grab the Knog backlight unless there is a good pair going?

Soldato
Pedals ordered this morning and were sent out within a couple of hours, so hopefully will arrive by the weekend. Will nip to a cycling shop tomorrow and try some shoes on, I know I didn't want to throw money at something I might not get on with, but I'd rather know I'm getting the right fit.

Decided to save a bit longer and get the Edge 500 and play it safe.

I've started coming home an alternative route as it's an actual cycle route, only issue is it's not very well lit at all so could really do with a good front light (again one that's toolless). I'll no doubt grab the Knog backlight unless there is a good pair going?

This model of light is very popular http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140744146377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 the only flaw with it though really is the battery pack is not water proof, i put mine in a water bottle the light itself is very bright and a bargain for the power they put out. And i also use the wide angle lens http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261119985356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Back
Top Bottom