D7100 --> Fuji...? but which one...Travel...

Associate
So I currently have a D7100 and a number of lenses, macro, some primes, long zoom (70-300), 12-24. I'm off on some travels for Christmas long flights and weight limits.

So have been looking to take in my D7100 kits and move to something smaller/lighter but still wanting decent image quality, though I'm no pro.

I had considered A6000, great IQ but complete lack of lenses is a no no. M43 small and light, nice lens selection but unsure on IQ and decent primes cost as much as the fuji ones which have a decent rep for built and imagine quality except the 18mm. I have read that the new EM1 Mark 2 outperforms the X-T2 in terms of IQ, but thats out of budget!

So the 16mp fuji's have poor auto focus, certainly not similar to a DSLR, which would kind of be a step backwards so that leaves the bodies with the 24mp at the cost of additional lenses...

Is there much difference between the 16 vs 24 in terms of image quality? Are the 24mp bodies more DSLR like for auto focus, in real world situations (eg kids running around) ?

So my current thoughts are

X-E2S + 18-55 + 55-200 + 23mm (or another prime)

X-T20 + 18-55 + 23mm +(or another prime)

X-E3 + 18-55 + 23mm (or another prime) if enough budget left...

Funds available are about 1300-1500

thoughts would be greatly appreciated (have been looking on the fuji refurb store :) )

thanks

Soldato
X-T20 or XE3. The former being a cut down XT2 and the latter being an alternative to the XPro 2. I wouldn't have thought the XE2s wouldn' be good value compared to the XE3. Good luck. There's a used XPro 2 at MPB for just over the price of a XE3 and an XT20 for something like £664.00.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the 16mp fuji's have poor auto focus, certainly not similar to a DSLR, which would kind of be a step backwards so that leaves the bodies with the 24mp at the cost of additional lenses...

poor is a bit strong, the AF isn't 1Dx levels but depending on what your shooting it may well be more than enough I'd certainly go and try one out to see what you think as you could potentially save a packet on the older body second hand giving you more budget for some nice lenses.

Associate
OP
There's a used XPro 2 at MPB for just over the price of a XE3 and an XT20 for something like £664.00.
Fuji refurb store has the X-T20 body only for about £650 or £899 with the "kit lens" have used MPB before and have found them good. Think I'll stick to the newer bodies

Associate
OP
poor is a bit strong, the AF isn't 1Dx levels but depending on what your shooting it may well be more than enough I'd certainly go and try one out to see what you think as you could potentially save a packet on the older body second hand giving you more budget for some nice lenses.

Tried an X-E2s, focusing is well how can I put it, a little lethargic after a DSLR, not that I was expecting it to be as quick but not that slow. The newer bodies seem far better at focusing :) shame really as it's always nicer to buy more glass.

Soldato
Tried an X-E2s, focusing is well how can I put it, a little lethargic after a DSLR, not that I was expecting it to be as quick but not that slow. The newer bodies seem far better at focusing :) shame really as it's always nicer to buy more glass.
Focusing is a little lethargic compared to an XT20 and an Xe3. The XE2 is fine with the F2 35mm though. I use this combination as a walk around when not using the XT2. I'm half tempted to replace the XE2 with either the Xe3 or XPro2.

Soldato
Everyone's millage will differ I guess and we all have different requirements if I'd had the budget I would have gone XT20 everyday but the XT10 has been great for my needs so far and keeps up with my 3 year old which was the number on requirement!

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I used an X-T1 on Safari last year and had no problems with the autofocus and can’t imagine it being any noticeable difference from your D7100 with the latest firmware.

Back
Top Bottom