Dads new ride

Associate
the VW PD engines are very good indeed, I certainly wouldnt say BMW's diesels were "leagues ahead". Prehaps slightly better, comparing them isn't really fair (as you said, for a start 6 cylinders vs 4, price etc), I would expect the BMW diesels to be better, but i dont necessarily think thats the case.

Although my extensives drives in a VW PD 130 may have clouded my vision - i loved it.

Man of Honour
megakid said:
the VW PD engines are very good indeed, I certainly wouldnt say BMW's diesels were "leagues ahead". Prehaps slightly better, comparing them isn't really fair (as you said, for a start 6 cylinders vs 4, price etc), I would expect the BMW diesels to be better, but i dont necessarily think thats the case.

Oh I'm not saying its a fair comparison and I'm certainly not knocking the VW diesels - yes, the BMW 6 cylinder is IMHO a much better engine but this isn't a negative thing against VW - after all the BMW 6 cylinder was found in a car costing £30,000 whereas the VW TDI PD engines were found in cars costing as little as £14,000, but Scuzi said he found them better, which is what I was questioning.

Man of Honour
Both examples had over 100k, IIRC one was 120k and the other about 150k. That probably doesn't sound like high miles to you, but remember that Ireland doesn't have thousands of miles of motorway like Britain. On an Irish car, 100k is a lot of miles.

I'd need to drive a lower mileage example to be positive though.

Permabanned
In all fariness, and independently of Fox, I too struggle to understand how a PD engine can be compared to a 6 cyl BMW unit. x20d yes, but not x30d!

The only thing I can think of is the common vibration dampner issue that plagues the 330d and 530d units. This can develop a knowing noise and common diesel 'chatter', but is an easy fix (replacement unit in sever cases). These occur around 80k in the 3d units, but some last longer before developing symptoms.

IMO VAG diesels have a distinctive Diesel sound about them, thats the sound I was expecting when I turned the key in a 330d, but I didnt get it, and I was well pleased!

Man of Honour
Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great engine. It had plenty of power and was a pleasure to drive. It just wasn't as quiet and as refined as I had expected. Again, I stress, that there is a high chance the examples I drove were probably not in the best condition and as a result my opinion may be tainted by this. I'll reserve my final judgement for when I drive a newer model with less miles.

Associate
Gibbo said:
Shame to hear about the death of the GTO, what happened?

I am sure he's missing the performance and sheer torque from the turbo's from the GTO?

Still its a nice BMW! :)

Icy conditions + dodgy road = dead GTO

Permabanned
Heh, sorry to hear about the GTO, your guna have to tell your dad to stop saying it was Lmtd eidtion if it is just a body kitt hats been fitted.

OT: L0rdMike, whats your sig about?

Soldato
nice car indeed, although it needs dechroming ;)

As for the old diesel petrol debate, I am affraid in a sporty car you need it to sound good when you first turn it over, even a modern diesel still sounds like a diesel. I want to have my windows down and soak up the engine sound as I thunder along, not get used to and not notice that I have an oil burner under the hood.

Its like getting a 3k LCD HDTV and running it through an alba stereo, your losing a huge chunk of the experience.

Even with slightly better performance I would always go for a petrol in an identical car

Diesel = Penny pinchers / caravan pullers ;)

Caporegime
Steve said:
Diesel = Penny pinchers / caravan pullers ;)

I like diesel, I am neither of the above. ;)

Got to admit, had the european 740d have been available (in RHD) when I was looking for my 728i, I would have gone for the diesel engined car every time.

Associate
330Ci SE: 0-60 = 6.3 seconds, 155mph, 231 bhp, 1505kg,
330Cd SE: 0-60 = 7.0 seconds, 150mph, 201 bhp, 1540kg,

^^ those are the stats ive come across and so regardless of how much low rpm torque the diesel's got the petrol wins for me as IT IS FASTER. :D

Anyway beautiful car, jst hope he dont crash this one.

Caporegime
melymel2789 said:

^^ those are the stats ive come across and so regardless of how much low rpm torque the diesel's got the petrol wins for me as IT IS FASTER. :D

Anyway beautiful car, jst hope he dont crash this one.

Fuel consumption & sheer torque would swing it in the diesels favour for me. ;)

Man of Honour
melymel2789 said:

You mean its faster 0-60, which is hardly suprising given it can do it 2nd whereas the 330d requires a change to third.

Back
Top Bottom