Daft Punk are no more

Associate
Sad...but happy memories for the music they leave behind...highlights for me are Homework, Alive 2007 (wonderfully mixed) and the Tron: Legacy Soundtrack (so epic that I have two copies on vinyl).

Thanks

Associate
Real shame but I have very fond memories (albeit a little blurry) of this night - this was the Alive / Pyramid set.

Bnj27Gc.jpg

ZY80VGR

Soldato
Yeah the soundtrack to the latest Tron film really made it. That moment they fight in the club with the home cinema blasting is amazing.

Agreed, i was never a massive fan just listened in passing but i absolutely love their work on Tron Legacy. I can just stick that on either the Home Theatre setup or the soundtrack on and it and enjoy it every single time.

Caporegime
Iconic.

Jesus to think how young i was when they first released Homework, Still at Uni....
THen jump forward to Tron which has probably the perfect soundtrack to a film.
One more time!, Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, Get lucky, all drove me insane lol
Guess ill be listening to them at work all day tomorrow.

Soldato
All these years I never realised I was a Daft Punk fan. As an oldish bloke I don't really pay attention to who does what music, other than my beloved 80's bands of course, but obviously heard all these tunes on various shows and radio bits. The only one I definitely knew was Daft Punk was the Faster Stronger song, but other than that it simply glossed over me who was doing what of these dance tracks I was hearing, and finding myself really quite liking. Only in recent months, spending hours tossing it off on youtube while on lockdown, I find that 90% of these tunes were Daft Punk. Funny old world.

Soldato
All these years I never realised I was a Daft Punk fan. As an oldish bloke I don't really pay attention to who does what music, other than my beloved 80's bands of course, but obviously heard all these tunes on various shows and radio bits. The only one I definitely knew was Daft Punk was the Faster Stronger song, but other than that it simply glossed over me who was doing what of these dance tracks I was hearing, and finding myself really quite liking. Only in recent months, spending hours tossing it off on youtube while on lockdown, I find that 90% of these tunes were Daft Punk. Funny old world.

That's what they wanted - the music to speak for itself.

Man of Honour

Good lord thanks for posting Planisphere, it delivers hard.

I only knew of them a little, initially from the Assassins Creed 2 trailer.

After a quick look on youtube I only recognise Cross, I believe it was the bulk of my gym playlist for quite some time.

:edit: Yeah Planisphere stands up to multiple runs. Very impressed. Enormous appreciation for the heads up on that broseph. Weirdly I'm getting links to the Doom 2016/Eternal soundtracks, I guess they're built on essentially the same ideas really.

Man of Honour
@Zefan ah very glad you enjoyed it. If you’re after more my personal selection of Justice favs (in addition to Planisphere) are:

Genesis
Phantom pt. II
DVNO
Stress
On’n’On
Parade
Audio Video Disco
Safe and Sound
Fire
Randy

Really though that list feels dismissive; the first album (Cross) has the most bombastic belters and a glitchy sound, but the second (Audio Video Disco) and third (Woman) are both really satisfying to listen to in entirety without too much regard for the individual songs - sort of ‘life soundtrack’ albums - which blend old school disco and modern dance like Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories... but more cohesively and just flat out better. Similar to how I mentioned it in the classical music thread, those latter two albums are almost better as background music albums until you become familiar with them as they aren’t as ‘instantly gratifying’ but you’re rewarded with repeated listens (which is how I wean my ear to some classical music).

Good music :cool:

Man of Honour
Really though that list feels dismissive; the first album (Cross) has the most bombastic belters and a glitchy sound, but the second (Audio Video Disco) and third (Woman) are both really satisfying to listen to in entirety without too much regard for the individual songs - sort of ‘life soundtrack’ albums - which blend old school disco and modern dance like Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories... but more cohesively and just flat out better. Similar to how I mentioned it in the classical music thread, those latter two albums are almost better as background music albums until you become familiar with them as they aren’t as ‘instantly gratifying’ but you’re rewarded with repeated listens (which is how I wean my ear to some classical music).

Actual footage of you dictating this post:

Man of Honour
Random self-important bump to say three things:

1) Discovery is such a fun album.

2) Random Access Memories is so ****ing boring. As in, surprisingly boring?

3) This was pointed out to me as being a song that daft punk sampled.... it’s quite subtle but if you try really hard you can hear it...

lol!

Man of Honour
Random Access Memories is incredible, second to Discovery for me out of their non live albums.
I seem to fail to connect with it at all. I really want to like it because of all the live instruments, but I just don’t. It’s mostly low tempo, plodding and even a bit sad / melancholic in places. Altogether MOR. A really long 1 hour 15 for me :(

The person on Touch must have one of the most annoying voices ever :confused: :p

Back
Top Bottom