Dairy/gluten/sugar free snack help

Associate
My 4yo daughter has had trouble pooing in the past and has a really distended tummy. She has a dairy allergy and recently we are seeing positive results from removing gluten from her diet. She's just back from the docs and now they want to try removing fruit and sugar for a week to see if it makes a difference. Does anyone on here, with similar allergies, have any suggestions of what treats and snacks she could have? Crisps are the obvious one but I'm looking for more options.

Associate
My 4yo daughter has had trouble pooing in the past and has a really distended tummy. She has a dairy allergy and recently we are seeing positive results from removing gluten from her diet. She's just back from the docs and now they want to try removing fruit and sugar for a week to see if it makes a difference. Does anyone on here, with similar allergies, have any suggestions of what treats and snacks she could have? Crisps are the obvious one but I'm looking for more options.
Just as an FYI most crisps are not gluten free. They should be, but a lot of the flavourings contain gluten, or they are made alongside gluten containing products so cross contamination is possible.

Associate
OP
Just as an FYI most crisps are not gluten free. They should be, but a lot of the flavourings contain gluten, or they are made alongside gluten containing products so cross contamination is possible.
She's been gluten free for a while so we know which crisps to buy and what to avoid. But thanks for the heads up anyway.
I've read that some fruits like strawberries and bananas are actually low in fructose so, after this week trial, and of we have to continue with it, at least she can have them.
It's really quite sad when you tell your 4yo kid that she can't eat anything that she likes. Shes been brilliant with it all up until now but she went to bed last night in the huff.

Associate
Apparently carrot contains gluten :(
Carrots are gluten free. There may be problems arising from pre prepared things like carrot sticks or glazed carrots as they may have additives that contain gluten, the carrots themselves don't, so you can make your own carrot sticks.

Associate
OP
Carrots are gluten free. There may be problems arising from pre prepared things like carrot sticks or glazed carrots as they may have additives that contain gluten, the carrots themselves don't, so you can make your own carrot sticks.
Sorry, I'm confusing myself, I meant to say carrots contain fructose.

Caporegime

If I remmber then nay fructose intolerence is actually soemthing more related to the ratio of fructose to glucose? whiuch makes sugar and some fruits perfectly fine, but a few fruits have a much higher fructose ratio

Caporegime

They contain a mid to low amount provided they're not baby carrots but you wouldn't be usually aiming to completely eliminate fructose. I don't know why the requirement for sugar free either?

Strawberries/blackberries and carrots (not baby ones) are all in the mid/low fructose area looking at the Mayo clinic info. They mention banana as low fructose which doesn't appear to be true however.

Nectarines are mid/low fructose and apricots are low.

Nice guide sheet here:

http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/services/az/other/nutrition/documents/Low_fructose_diet_for_children.pdf

So apricots, cucumber, celery, sweetcorn would all be a good starting point for a 4 year old.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm talking about fruit. My kids eat punnets of fruit every day. It seems like gluten free cereals may be what we have to give her during the day.

Has she actually been diagnosed with coeliac? Atleast a third of the kids at our daughters pre school are gluten free but none of them have a diagnosis, it seems to be a bit of a fad.

Associate
OP
The test came back negative for ceoliac. It sounds weird but when we removed gluten it seemed to help her go to the toilet. By that i mean not spending as long doing a poo and not leaving the inside of the toilet covered in poo.

Associate
OP
They contain a mid to low amount provided they're not baby carrots but you wouldn't be usually aiming to completely eliminate fructose. I don't know why the requirement for sugar free either?

Strawberries/blackberries and carrots (not baby ones) are all in the mid/low fructose area looking at the Mayo clinic info. They mention banana as low fructose which doesn't appear to be true however.

Nectarines are mid/low fructose and apricots are low.

Nice guide sheet here:

http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/services/az/other/nutrition/documents/Low_fructose_diet_for_children.pdf

So apricots, cucumber, celery, sweetcorn would all be a good starting point for a 4 year old.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom