Dark circles under eyes

Soldato
I often have this problem... but nobody has actually commented... I find it doesn't go away even when I get loads of sleep in holidays... quite annoying, but really cba with make up - that's for girls :p

Same for me, I tan really well so after a holiday im OK for a few months but then they come back, doesnt bother me too much though :p

Associate
Do you smoke?

I've smoked for the last 12 years but finally managed to kick the habit a few months ago. I always had the dark circles but since i quit they don't seem half as bad.

Permabanned
It could be :

Genetic - some people just do have them.

Lack of sleep.

Lack of water. Aim for one and a half litres per day. (Doesn't include juice / tea / coffee)

An overgrowth of yeasts in the body (Candida).

Underfunctioning liver.

Food sensitivity or allergy.

Remember the skin around the eye is approimately one quarter the thickness than compared to other areas of the face or body. It could also point to a circulatory or lymphatic related problem.

All the best. :)

That's very helpful, thanks for that.

Soldato
i read somewhere (sure it was at the doctors) that tea and coffee does count towards your daily water intake.

Could also be Anaemia.

Apparently you need products that say "immediate effect" otherwise they're just not strong enough to work well.

I use L'oreal Collagen Eye Filler. Doesn't do a fantastic job but it's quite a thick cream that's slightly shiny so it helps brighten them up a bit.

I spent about £30 on eyliplex because the reviews said it was great....it wasn't. :(

I think mine must be genetic as my sisters and mum have it although not as bad as me so it's probably also anaemia and lack of sleep :p

oh..another tip I read was cold tea bags but I'm yet to try this theory lol

You want No 7 protect and perfect from Boots;).

Soldato
funny you say that I did think about trying their cream but is it any good ? my dark circles are really bad :(

It clears the dark circles around my girlfriends eyes no problems, she also tried it out on me once and I have dark circles like a panda lol and they pretty much faded them!

Soldato
The water thing is a myth, except alcohol, tea and coffee will hydrate you too. That original research was done in the 50's. I mean think about it, will you die of dehydration if you replace the water you drink with tea?

I've been pondering this since reading that. I drink loads of tea but had recently considered this might not count as drinking >2 litres of water a day. Some research as to why would be awesome...

Edit: I vaguely remember reading something about tea inhibiting nutrient uptake actually...

Last edited:
Soldato
u need a solid, regular sleeping plan. its no good staying up til 4 one night then making up for it by going to bed early the next night... you need consistency. I cant see it being anything other than a sleep issue.

Soldato
I've got pretty bad dark circles, I think mostly due to lack of sleep and staring at monitors 24/7.

iv had mine since i was about 10 always get a good amount of sleep, only recently got a dodgey pattern
they just showed up one day and at school people always used to ask me if i had been in a fight also. always wondered why they wer there its improving now though

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never really slept well on a consistent basis, even when young, but I didn't really suffer too badly with dark circles until I started working nights. 15 years later I could scare Nosferatu on a bad day, and win Panda impersonation contests on a good one.:)

I've never experimented with make-up, at least partly because I'm sure I'd just smear it about and end up looking like an idiot after an hour or two, but there are definitely days when I'd try anything to disguise them. People do notice, especially at this time of year when my anglo-saxon skin is terrified of the sun and seems to go even paler after a bit of time outside, making me look even worse.

For me a regular period of settled sleep does help calm things down, but there is a genetic element to it, I believe, and I know one of my grandparents always had a similar problem... though it's more likely that she "just" slept badly too. It's hard to be sure with these things, so there's not much point in worrying about it.

The best thing to do is, as others suggest, make sure your sleep is as settled as you think it is (you may not be sleeping as soundly as you believe) and sacrifice a few wrinkles to the sun god. Even a bit of a tan does help a lot, though at first -- as you say -- it just seems to make things worse. :)

The sun's shining this morning where I am and I shall be getting an hour or so of "medicinal" exposure as soon as it warms up a little.

Good luck, and thanks for starting an interesting thread... interesting to those of us on the Dark Side anyway. :)

Andrew McP

Back
Top Bottom