Dashcams!

Soldato
Sorry if this has been asked before but the search term is too short, and 170 pages is a lot to plough through!

I've just fitted a Nextbase 522 with rear camera into the wife's Tiguan. At the same time I picked up a small Nextbase branded SD card to bang in it until I could get something bigger. The card formatted fine, but now the system is fitted & running, I get a warning on start up that I need to use a U3 rated card.

Basically, does anyone know if the system will still record until I can get my hands on a better card?

I probably didn't research as much as I should have beforehand as it was a bit of a rush job. It seems that post-lockdown, most people seem to have forgotten how to drive and she's had several near misses lately that could have been deemed her fault without camera evidence, had she not been so on the ball and taken evasive action.

TIA.

Underboss
Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the link. I'd been looking at similar cards elsewhere but that seems to fit the bill perfectly.

After pulling my finger out and trying for myself it seems the unit will work just fine using just the main camera, but won't even start to record with the rear plugged in too. I'm guessing the lesser cards just can't cope with the writes from both.

Soldato
Thanks for the link. I'd been looking at similar cards elsewhere but that seems to fit the bill perfectly.

After pulling my finger out and trying for myself it seems the unit will work just fine using just the main camera, but won't even start to record with the rear plugged in too. I'm guessing the lesser cards just can't cope with the writes from both.
Make sure it’s set up properly to record from both cameras and that they both have power, I’d at least expect the second camera to make a file even if it can’t write to it fast enough.

Soldato
Make sure it’s set up properly to record from both cameras and that they both have power, I’d at least expect the second camera to make a file even if it can’t write to it fast enough.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. With the rear camera plugged in the device won't even attempt to record, from either camera, it just comes up with the warning about needing a U3 card. It does seem to produce a "picture" file from the front camera, but no video. It's as if it knows it won't work properly so just says no! :D

Rear camera shows up fine on the screen so I know that's working.

For now I've just disconnected the rear one until the new card arrives. At least she'll have a record of the idiots cutting across her at the last second when they've forgotten which exit they should take! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yes, it's a U1 card.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/nextbase-16gb-sd-967775151

And having gone back to the Nextbase site I found this:

PLEASE NOTE – For this product, a high endurance U3 class microSD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam use is required.

Completely my mistake for not paying enough attention!

I've ordered one of the cards you linked to, hopefully it'll be plain sailing when that gets here.

Thanks for your time on this, much appreciated.

Associate
Nextbase not recommended then?

Looking for 1440 / 4k ideally. Not fussed about stabilisation as from what I've read, dashcam's with stabilisation aren't great....

Interested to see which cameras people have and any footage to see how good they are? Want to be able to pick out number-plates if needed

Soldato
Recommendations for around the £100-£150 mark?

I've an ancient iTronics ITB100HD in my car which is still running fine *touch wood*.

The Mrs wants something for hers, she has a bit of an itch for something rear facing too but personally I'd rather have WiFi and a Mobile App for downloading footage.

Something like the Thinkware F200? or worth the stretch to the F220?

Underboss
Cant see the 220 listed on the official site

i had a F770, the F200 does seem good (no idea how much these are now)
no super night vision, so if she does a lot of night driving, its worth getting one with this, as it makes a huge difference, really brings out the number plates at night

Back
Top Bottom