Day of Defeat: Source - Free This Weekend!

Associate
fozzybear said:
Great news. I've always wanted to give this a try.

Maybe we can organise an OcUK gaming session over the weekend.

I would like that!

I got a connection now and am preloading it. If I have fun with it on the weekend I will probably go ahead and buy it.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well the download doesn't take long at all. No excuses all.
Am well up for some Noobing Dod style at the weekend. All on together as noobs will be great fun.
I will be able to Die without worrying about my K/D. Woot to that. I will put my full on Rusha's hat on and let you kill me repeatedly. :D

Soldato
Brilliant game in my opinion, you guys shouldn't be disapointed, it looks nice too, specially maps like kalt. :) I've spent something like erm...59 hours playing so far. And am already good with a rifle. Garand or Kar.

Soldato
fullfat said:
the game looks fantastic imho, hdr is on the entire thing too.
iirc it was about 600mb to download.

True, but worth every byte. or bit, whatever.. it doesnt take long to become a pro with whichever class is your favorite too. I got really frustrated getting into this game, as i did die a lot. Best thing to do is stick in groups of people, which means less chance of dying :)

Associate
-Tauren- said:
True, but worth every byte. or bit, whatever.. it doesnt take long to become a pro with whichever class is your favorite too. I got really frustrated getting into this game, as i did die a lot. Best thing to do is stick in groups of people, which means less chance of dying :)

A rule me and my mate has sstuck by when playing FPS games, Cannon fodder first.

Let some lone ranger whos in a hurry go in front, that way hes the first the enemy sees and shoots, giving you his position (By tracers).

So remember kids! Cannon Fodder First!

Soldato
Nieldo said:
A rule me and my mate has sstuck by when playing FPS games, Cannon fodder first.

Let some lone ranger whos in a hurry go in front, that way hes the first the enemy sees and shoots, giving you his position (By tracers).

So remember kids! Cannon Fodder First!

Indeed...you may respawn all the time, but the key is NOT to rush and get yourself a bad score. Take your time and let the lone wolf idiots go first and get capped. The only people who need to go lone wolf are the snipers. :p

Man of Honour
OP
geiger said:
I used to play it on HL 1 and it was ok.

The entire game is HDR ? I would preload it but how big is the game, 1 gig?

If you have Half-Life 2, then it's only a 833MB download. But if you don't, then it'll have to download the Source Engine as well, so could be another 1GB to 2GB on top of all that.

Associate
DaveyD said:
If you have Half-Life 2, then it's only a 833MB download. But if you don't, then it'll have to download the Source Engine as well, so could be another 1GB to 2GB on top of all that.

good point there! i forgot about that bit

-Tauren- said:
Indeed...you may respawn all the time, but the key is NOT to rush and get yourself a bad score. Take your time and let the lone wolf idiots go first and get capped. The only people who need to go lone wolf are the snipers. :p

also, i think youve got go gung-ho at times as thats the only reason us 'idiots' get through and take up the time/aim of the other team to let you leet lot in for a chance to take them out. its just we're not as shy, thats all :p

Soldato
fullfat said:
good point there! i forgot about that bit

also, i think youve got go gung-ho at times as thats the only reason us 'idiots' get through and take up the time/aim of the other team to let you leet lot in for a chance to take them out. its just we're not as shy, thats all :p

Lol. Take no offence, i should have rephrased or thought of a better way to express myself. I know, there has to be stormers, as that IS the game, to storm ahead and get all the flag caps. So, ok they aren't idiots, i just hate getting sprayed to death i guess lol. :( I'm a rifleman myself so i tend to use long/mid/short ranges. Not just long or short for sniper and assault and support etc.

Soldato
It does feel very different. I had a brief try on it today (I forgot I could play it freely since I pre-ordered HL2 Silver ages ago :o), and it's similar, but it does have some distinctive differences.

It's more of an automatic, sprayers game now. The rifle classes feel a lot weaker than the original version. They don't seem as accurate standing up as they are in 1.3, there's no pistol for backup when you miss, you can't stab/smack them with the gun, the ironsights feel next to useless considering how quickly everyone moves, and the grenade-launcher doohickey makes your nades less effective really (since you can't prime + throw them like all the other classes can).

Of all the maps, I actually thought Argentan was the best of the lot. The remade maps just don't quite seem to suit the new way DoD:S plays, and they just end up as spray fests, but Argentan actually made you need a few riflemen on the team, and balanced the classes more. :)

Soldato
Weebull said:
It does feel very different. I had a brief try on it today (I forgot I could play it freely since I pre-ordered HL2 Silver ages ago :o), and it's similar, but it does have some distinctive differences.

It's more of an automatic, sprayers game now. The rifle classes feel a lot weaker than the original version. They don't seem as accurate standing up as they are in 1.3, there's no pistol for backup when you miss, you can't stab/smack them with the gun, the ironsights feel next to useless considering how quickly everyone moves, and the grenade-launcher doohickey makes your nades less effective really (since you can't prime + throw them like all the other classes can).

Of all the maps, I actually thought Argentan was the best of the lot. The remade maps just don't quite seem to suit the new way DoD:S plays, and they just end up as spray fests, but Argentan actually made you need a few riflemen on the team, and balanced the classes more. :)

I agree, its starting to become a sprayfest. Weaken the mg's and smg's, and even it out a bit. Add a couple more rifle classes etc. But thats just my opinion, i'm fed up of sprayers. And not being able to defend myself very well, being a rifleman. I wont rant or rave though, i just play to have fun.

Back
Top Bottom