DCS:- Black Shark English Version Released!

Soldato
I'm not a big fan of trackIR, despite having bought two versions (3 & 4) while trying to find a version & settings which suited me... intellectually I'm sure it's wonderful, but my brain refuses to settle down and enjoy the experience.

Andrew McP

Thats a first,never read a bad comment about track ir hehe you must have a funney head :D

Soldato
remember ED promising to do AI flying with true AOA for "Flanker Attack"? It finally appeared.

From watching a few trk files, the AI aircraft may be using better flight dynamics, but they don't *look* like that's so, which is a bit of a shame. The same old 'jerky' direction changes are apparent. Smoother input on the AI control sticks would make a big difference... though under normal circumstances I don't suppose people will notice. I just tend to see everything with my movie making head on.

any1 here recomend and cheap n cheerfull lcd displays to do the job.

I spent ages trying to decide! In the end I got annoyed with my indecision, and just gave myself an hour to make a choice. I ended up with 3 x 20" Samsung 2032BW screens, which don't overpower the room too much. Good screens, but they do have one *really* annoying problem... the triplehead drives the screens at a non-optimal 57Hz, and a message comes up on each screen every time the mode changes. It goes away after about 30s, but that's too long, and having to clear that with a button press every time is a bit tedious.

FWIW, if I'd had an SLI motherboard I'd definitely have tried the softTH method first.

Andrew McP

Soldato
Thats a first,never read a bad comment of track ir hehe you must have a funney head :D

I just find it very hard to set it up so I feel comfortable using it. It's either too slow, too fast, too 'sticky', or too distracting when I look away and need to reset it... that kind of stuff. It breaks the immersion for me in some ways, just as it adds to it in others. It also adds another layer of complexity to running a sim. There's enough to tweak as it is without adding to the workload before a gaming session.

I can see exactly why people love it though; that's why I persevered and bought the updated version hoping for better luck. But while that's definitely an improvement, I think I prefer a fixed view... especially now I have the luxury of the triplehead. That is *much* more immersive. And expensive! :)

Andrew McP

Soldato
OP
It took me some time tweaking the TIR curves just right, when you get it the point where you find you self turning you head even when you watch TV, you know you have it set right :) Trust me persevre, it will click with you and feel natural, once it does you'll never look back.

Nate

Soldato
It took me some time tweaking the TIR curves just right, when you get it the point where you find you self turning you head even when you watch TV, you know you have it set right :) Trust me persevre, it will click with you and feel natural, once it does you'll never look back.

Nate

Curves are just wrong, linear all the way.

Soldato
I just find it very hard to set it up so I feel comfortable using it. It's either too slow, too fast, too 'sticky', or too distracting when I look away and need to reset it... that kind of stuff. It breaks the immersion for me in some ways, just as it adds to it in others. It also adds another layer of complexity to running a sim. There's enough to tweak as it is without adding to the workload before a gaming session.

I can see exactly why people love it though; that's why I persevered and bought the updated version hoping for better luck. But while that's definitely an improvement, I think I prefer a fixed view... especially now I have the luxury of the triplehead. That is *much* more immersive. And expensive! :)

Andrew McP

Must say the thought of Triple head sounds awesome for Sims.

Do you wish to sell your track ir version 4 ?

Soldato
Must say the thought of Triple head sounds awesome for Sims.

It isn't without its quirks & problems (it is, after all, hardly mainstream hardware!), and my introduction was spoiled by a faulty cable with one broken connection which caused all sorts of frustrating confusion. But after a year in which -- with some relief if I'm honest :) -- I felt I'd finally 'grown out of' gaming, trying out iRacing revived my interest in driving sims, and experimenting with dual screens (which anyone can try for free) made me realise that the multiple monitor world was an amazing development.

The triplehead (and a graphics card fast enough to push all those pixels) was a financial risk, but ultimately worthwhile. The peripheral vision just pulls you straight in, and sometimes it's simply breathtaking, especially in a darkened room. It's a truly cinematic experience.

Do you wish to sell your track ir version 4 ?

I think my love/hate relationship will continue now I've dusted it off again, so no. As I said above though, the 3D cockpit in BS is very impressive to see in action. It's almost enough to justify the cost of the TIR4 and sim all on is own.

Andrew McP

Associate
I flew Black Shark at a flight sim show this year and they had a triple TFT set up.
I must say that the experience was astounding not to mention the motion chair that I was sitting on.:eek:
If you have the cash yes its worth doing, if you dont then there is no real need to go triple TFT.

Associate
Not many servers for MP play :(. The most popular one is 159th, but theres no fun joining a server of 15 people, no tactics or stratagy, just have to gun for the targets or you wouldnt get any action.

In flaming cliffs I used to play on the =DFA= server, on average 4-6 players and nice teamwork over vent/TS and that was great fun :).

Glowing Amraams rotor sound mod, as heard in his black shark vids: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=34949

Such a nice sound.

Soldato
I wonder would it be better to get 2 more 22" screens and TH or 1 decent 42"?

A single 'wide'screen will never give you the kind of experience multiple monitors can. Normal widescreens are about 1.6:1 or 1.7:1. But even 3*(1280x1024) monitors gives you a ratio of 3.75:1. That's a whole heap of extra view and experience (and pixels to push).

With 3*(1680*1050) I'm looking at a ratio of 4.8:1... that's approximately wider than the Grand Canyon. ;) Ok, Crysis at that resolution destroys vid cards, but you can switch to single easily enough (once you get the hang of the setup). And even Crysis ran ok with my 320Mb 8800GTS on medium settings and no FSAA. Sims like iRacing and Black Shark are still mainly CPU limited, so vid card performance is less of an issue even at silly resolutions. (I seem to be getting a steady 30-ish fps with the GTX260 and E6600@3GHz).

What convinced me to go Triplehead was playing with a spare monitor. If you have an Nvidia card it's very simple to put two side by side and make a change in the drivers which forces games to 'see' the new resolution. It's not ideal (crosshair in the middle, etc), but it showed me the potential immediately.

I made the change in two stages to avoid wasting money. I bought the triplehead first, and used 3*(4:3) old monitors first... a 17|" LCD, 17" CRT, and 19"CRT. It was a messy setup, but it 'only cost' me the £200 for the triplehead unit. Once I'd convinced myself this had incredible potential I only then started to look for three cheap matched monitors.

At the end of the day it's an unnecessary luxury. But it's also the best thing, as a simmer, that I've ever spent my money on.

i still havent had the courage to buy this, but the more i read, the more screenshots i see, it just so makes me want to fire it all up and crash a lot (no idea about heli's more planes)

Today I spent some more time learning to fly. I doubt I'll ever do a start-up myself, or even fight in the thing. But mastering this very impressive flight modelling is very satisfying indeed. Well, I imagine it will be... one day. :)

Andrew McP

Permabanned
At the end of the day it's an unnecessary luxury. But it's also the best thing, as a simmer, that I've ever spent my money on.

As a dedicated FS9 PMDG virtual cockpit user for the last 5 or so years I've toyed with the idea of going triple too.

It's so much more immersive with dual monitors - I can't really imagine how much better three is.

Associate
Here is what BS looks like using a tripple head set up, this was taken at the show...after i got up. .......Well dragged from the chair:(

BS22.jpg

Soldato
Pics of your setup are required.

It's very hard to capture the full effect of 'wraparound' screens, because in order to get all the image in you have to move back, or widen the FOV of the camera. Sitting at the focus, with your peripheral vision pretty much filled, has to be experienced.

But FWIW here are a few I just took. They really don't capture the experience at all well though. You'll just have to take my word that it's worth the money... I'm as tight as the proverbial duck's backside, and agonise over frivolous spending like this. But even I don't regret this hardware!

Oh, and ignore the slight mismatches between screens. The three monitors only *just* squeeze onto this temporary setup on the end of my desk, and I've yet to settle on positions which suit me all of the time. I tend to mess about with the angles depending upon which sim and FOV I'm using, and keeping everything lined up exactly is tricky.

IMGP4337.JPG

IMGP4338.JPG

IMGP4339.JPG

IMGP4341.JPG

IMGP4343.JPG

Andrew McP

Back
Top Bottom