1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDR2 4x1GB

Discussion in 'Memory' started by nheather, 11 Sep 2009.

1. nheather

Hitman

Is it okay to use 4 sticks of 1GB on an overclocked system.

I currently have 2 sticks of Crucial Ballistix 1066 and would like to go to 4GB.

Would it be okay to buy another two 1GB sticks or would I be better buying 2x2GB and trying to sell my 1GB sticks.

My question isn't whether it will work, but whether it would have any adverse effects on overclocking and stability.

BTW - It's the CPU being overclocked (an E6750 on 3 or 3.2GHz) rather than the RAM. The RAM is actually running under the 1066.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. SlugForAButt

Mobster

I need that answer too. :D

3. El Jimben

Mobster

There's no problem with using 4 sticks in a system whether it's overclocked or not though using 4 sticks instead of 2 puts a little extra strain on the memory controller and so you might need to up the MCH voltage a touch. I personally would sell what you've got and get a 2x 2Gb kit but it's up to you :)

4. Kennysevenfold

Sgarrista

This.

It will work fine, however you wont get as high an overclock as you would with just 2 ram slots occupied :)

5. SlugForAButt

Mobster

Yeah, when Windows7 hits the mat I suppose I'll do that then.
    Thanks.
    If I'm going to do that, what 1066 memory do you guys recommend then with o'c in mind?