1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDR3 i7 ram compatable with i5 mobo

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Mr Kingston, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Mr Kingston

PermaBanned

im looking to buy an i5 mobo , probably the rampage 3 formula and an intel i7 860 quad cpu, the question is could i use an i7 x58 ram kit in duel chanel mode and have the remaining 2gb in the system as well without the ram becoming single chanel or will it not matter ?

Thanks for ure help

2. momo56

Wise Guy

I used corsair ddr3 in an i5 mobo, it worked fine, not sure about the channels though.

Check the asus site for the compatible RAM list ?

3. momo56

Wise Guy

triple channel drr3 corsair RAM* but not sure what the actual channels were on the i5 mobo.

4. Howitzer

Wise Guy

I'm sure I read somewhere that it would become single rather than adapt to be duel.

Why not just get some duel channel memory?

[EDIT] Oops, do you mean you already have the triple or are you looking to buy?

5. coupe69

Mobster

Dual channel for P55/H55/H57 mainboards.

I have some of the 1600MHz G-Skill Ripjaws, can be had for a good price, and just as good timings and speed as some of the more expensive stuff.

6. Mr Kingston

PermaBanned

thanks for ure help guys, just saw a cheap 6 gig kit i liked but have since found a 4 gig kit the same but not as cheap hence the question ,

Thanks again

7. oLysmoLy

Gangster

am qiute sure it is.

8. CAPTAINBUMFLUFF

Hitman

Shame MR Kingston just sold my ram it turned out that It should have worked as the voltage was 1.65. Sorry bout that never knew ddr3 was universal if the volts were right

However I think it would have run in single channel due to the third memory

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010