• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead Asus 5850, possibly my fault, and can't RMA, what can I do?

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately not similar at all - much bigger on the 5850 (it's a longer card for starters).

Cesar67 has sent me the bit of the stock cooler that I modified, so hopefully I'll sneak it through an RMA... (It's not with OCUK)

Last edited:
Soldato
Pop into the wanted section and put in a request for a stock cooler - bound to be plenty of people with spare ones having upgraded theirs - could even offer to return it after the warranty job ;)

Soldato
OP
Update:

I sent it back with a new VRM plate. Waited (pacing, thinking that I had no chance) 5 days (including a weekend, which only added to the agony...), then on the Tuesday morning, they emailed me, saying the RMA was successful, and that they've set up a store credit (as I'd requested) for me.

So now I've got a nice new POV GTX470, which certainly powers through Metro 2033 nicely (bought whilst I was waiting on that Steam 50% deal).

So thanks for all the support and suggestions people!

Soldato
OP
I think the 470. Seems smoother than the 5850, even though I'm running with a reduced CPU overclock, and no GPU overclock yet. But it's early days yet.

The main reasons I decided to change were:
1. Something different - and I like to play with new hardware
2. The overclocking potential is meant to be brilliant with these cards with good cooling, and I'll be watercooling.
3. I'm intending to get another later on, and SLI scaling is really good.
4. I want 3D Vision. I know (and did a good amount of research on) that ATI can do 3D too, but with nVidia's drivers you have support for DX11 and they are generally more up to date, and less hassle (updated automatically with new GPU drivers, rather than separate GPU/3D drivers).

Soldato
Update:

I sent it back with a new VRM plate. Waited (pacing, thinking that I had no chance) 5 days (including a weekend, which only added to the agony...), then on the Tuesday morning, they emailed me, saying the RMA was successful, and that they've set up a store credit (as I'd requested) for me.

So now I've got a nice new POV GTX470, which certainly powers through Metro 2033 nicely (bought whilst I was waiting on that Steam 50% deal).

So thanks for all the support and suggestions people!

Good result... :cool:

Soldato
OP
To be fair, at the moment I have the motherboard on my desk all open, while I wait for my new case.

5850 ran cool to be honest, never really heard it. The GTX470 runs quite warm, and I never really hear it. (approx 80°C maximum after a couple of hour's gaming).

To be honest though, I game with a pair of headphones, so noise doesn't bother me at all.

Soldato
To be fair, at the moment I have the motherboard on my desk all open, while I wait for my new case.

5850 ran cool to be honest, never really heard it. The GTX470 runs quite warm, and I never really hear it. (approx 80°C maximum after a couple of hour's gaming).

To be honest though, I game with a pair of headphones, so noise doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the info m8. I was just looking to find out your opinion as there are too many people bashing one card over another without actually using them.

Do you find them performing the same or is it some games better/some worse?

Soldato
OP
The GTX470 is definitely smoother, and the FPS is a little higher. I would suggest that the frame rate doesn't vary so much with the 470. Time will tell though.

Wait until I've got the thing watercooled and overclocked...

Back
Top Bottom