Dead hard drive - Please help...

Associate
Hello,

Im in desperate need for help. I have lost one of my data/files hard drives, and naturally, its my most important one. It contains all my photos from the past few years, and a lot of other data thats important to me.

~The fault basically is that the drive has 'no' filesystem. It appears as 'Local Disk (L:)' and does not show any information, i.e. NTFS, size, free space etc. - When clicked, it announces that 'L:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.'

~I have tried to use the Hirens boot CD which uses DOS based programs to retrieve data. Didn't work... Im still looking into this mind you.

~The drive is a WD2500 ATA hard drive, bought last year.

Thanks for your help, and i really hope someone can!
John

Soldato
Try programs like Get Data Back and any other recovery program. DO NOT write anything to the disk at all, do not try to do anything which will write to the disk either. No formatting of any kind etc. Search through these forums for different recovery programs - most of which work if the drive has simply lost its filesystem.

img

img

Associate
take it you tried a chkdsk /f on it?

always found that a program called Ontrack easy recovery worked well

Associate
OP
Just an update:

Im pleased to announce that 'GetDataBack (NTFS)' has my full support and admiration.

It recovered 100% of my files from my 'dead' drive. Also, the drive is back to fully working status. Woohoo!

Best. Software. Ever.

Associate
I just tried test disk to try and recover my lacie d2 which died after a power cut half way through formatting. Fixed it in seconds, shame I only just found out about it after having spent fruitless days trying to fix it lol

Back
Top Bottom