Death Stranding

Soldato
I'm really on the fence about this too, I think I'll like it & CDKeys has it for £38 instead of £55. Hmmm

Do what i've done, buy on steam for a 2 hour trial...then if it's good i'll refund and buy from a key site. Also top tip, watch the cut scenes on youtube so you don't waste that 2 hour 'trial' time.

Do what i've done, buy on steam for a 2 hour trial...then if it's good i'll refund and buy from a key site. Also top tip, watch the cut scenes on youtube so you don't waste that 2 hour 'trial' time.

I found the first two hours densely packed with FMV. Not much game play to be had yet.

Soldato
The first two hours are indeed story packed and after that it gets into the delivery part of the game where you’ll be spending most of your time. Honestly the maps are very detailed it’s quite nice to walk around and between. Plus I got the soundtrack with the game often have that in the background

Caporegime
It's funny, when I was about 15 I remember watching this trailer over and over, and remember showing it to friends and we were blown away by how good it all looked...

Looks like a fuzzy bag of ***** now!

This was when Kojima first came to my attention, even though I was a huge fan of Snatcher on the Mega CD (late 1994) - I didn't really care as a 12 year old who made video games.

In hindsight, Snatcher was clearly just a rip-off of Blade Runner with a smidgen of Terminator thrown in for good measure.

Soldato
Started playing this morning...promptly refunded after an hour.
then bought the DLC edition off Cd keys for £20 cheaper than steam. If you go the Cdkeys route, don't forget to use TCB for another 8% off for new customers.

Did a couple more hours last night and have only completed 2 more deliveries. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do when those things appear and your thingy twitches and points towards it. Is this where you hold your breath and walk away? I seemed to get swept up in this oil stuff a couple of times.

Soldato
Started playing this morning...promptly refunded after an hour.
then bought the DLC edition off Cd keys for £20 cheaper than steam. If you go the Cdkeys route, don't forget to use TCB for another 8% off for new customers.

this sort of attitude will force valve to remove the refund option on steam.

Associate
I've got the breaking strain of a kit kat so I purchased this last night and although I am still quite early in the game, I'm enjoying it and playing with a controller is a must for this game IMHO. The feedback through the vibration of your chosen pad really adds to this for me and feels somewhat of a trademark of a Kojima game.

Associate
Just to add, the performance really surprised me. Running a 980Ti Hybrid at 3440x1440 and I have everything maxed out with 60fps (or so close I can't tell thanks to G-Sync). Obviously I'm missing some options (DSS?) that might cripple my card but seem to perform well in this engine fro mwatching the video I posted earlier.

Impressed and unexpected.

Caporegime
Judging by the screenshots & graphical options this seems like a straight port with almost nothing in the way of image enhancements. At least performance will be high. Here's to hoping the ini is wide open for tweaking.
  • Aspect ratio (16:9, 21:9)
  • Maximum frame rate (as low as 30fps, as high as 240fps)
  • Model detail (low, medium, "default," very high)
  • Memory for streaming (low, "default," high)
  • Shadow resolution (low, medium, high)
  • Ambient occlusion (on, off)
  • Screen space reflections (on, off)
  • Nvidia DLSS (off, "performance," "quality")*
  • AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening and Upsampling (CAS) (on, off)
  • Anti-aliasing (off, FXAA, TAA)
  • Depth of field (on, off)
  • Motion blur (on, off)
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...of-death-stranding-is-the-definitive-version/

Look at those low-res 8kb jpegs that masquerade as ground textures in the distance. They've haunted me in Assassin's Creed and they're back angrier than ever! At least then you had vegetation to sometimes hide them. Uffff.

DeathStranding_Screenshot_02.jpg

That looks utter **** :p

Quite amusing as the graphics in motion are really quite excellent if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom