1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent Power Supply for GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by eeebzzz, 9 Sep 2017.

1. eeebzzz

Associate

I am in the UK and have the below PC specs:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (Haswell)
    RAM: 8GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600
    PSU: ATX 500B (500W)
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I recently purchased a Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming graphics card and eventually made space for this beast to be seated onto my motherboard. Now I have an issue with PSU. It doesn't seem to have the cable to power the card. I see a 4 pin and a L Shaped SATA II cable, neither are compatible with the 8-pin socket the card requires. If I try to power on the PC, it says "Please Power Down and Connect the PCIe Power Cable(s) for this Graphics Card".

Can anyone recommend a suitable Power Supply unit to use for this setup? I am also looking to install another hard drive so a suitable supply for this would also be nice to have.

2. Plec

Capodecina

3. mistersprinkles

Wise Guy

Is that an EVGA 500B? If it is it definitely has the correct cable. Two of them, actually.
    Regardless, it's a terrible PSU IMO and an upgrade is not a bad idea. Both the PSUs Plec suggested are both decent and affordable.

4. freddie64

Mobster

Got a feeling it's not that PSU.

Just had a look on Google and found one on the bay matching the description in the op. Looks to be a £17.50 firecracker. :eek:
    • Connectors: 1 x 20+4 pin ; 1 x 4-Pin 12V; 3 x SATA; 2 x 4-Pin molex; 1 x Floppy

5. lee32uk

Underboss

The 500B definitely has 2 x pcie connectors on one cable.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=351

6. freddie64

Mobster

If you Google "ATX 500B", first link should be for a PSU on the bay. Going by the description in the OP, it seems to match his PSU.

7. lee32uk

Underboss

It could be that unit, but I assumed he was referring to the EVGA 500B. If it is the one you mentioned then he needs to throw it straight in the bin :D

8. ExoMale

Mobster

i have this

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £94.49
    (includes shipping: £10.50)

[​IMG]

only fitted it yesterday, but working great even if my system isnt as powerful, it was a brand new sealed unit i got for half the price as it was a RMA replacement which is registered to the seller meaning i cant return, so if you can find ones similar about in private listings snap them up.