Decided I would start SL 5x5

Soldato
Hey all,

So a bit of my background.

I am 31 (32 in July) and around 90Kg in weight. Im 6ft 1 and have always (before kids) been fairly active. although never really been a "gym goer" or "lifter" by any means.

Used to play a bit of football, squash and biked a lot in the past. Now since having kids I have had to sacrifice a bit of that (willingly) to be more of a present and available father to them whilst they are young.

I have found myself in a situation where we have a work gym to use.

Not much just a treadmill, few rowing machines and bikes, dumbbells (up to 25kg sets) a power rack and an Olympic bar. I started Strong lifts 5x5 on May 19th, because i can do this during my lunch hours and currently on the below:

Squat: 85KG
Bench: 55Kg
OHP: 47.5KG
BBRow:55KG
Deadlift: 85KG.

Using this as a method to check in now and then and put my thoughts down on form, and feelings.

Any tips and hints would be welcomed.

*Updated with starting weights as promised:

Squat: 50KG
Bench: 40Kg
OHP: 40.0KG
BBRow: 40KG
Deadlift: 40KG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks sir!

Its been quite enjoyable so far. I am not sure when certain lifts (mainly bench and DL) are going to start to feel "heavy".

Squats are getting there at 5x5 @ 85KG in terms of feeling heavy, and also OHP is now starting to prove a challenge.

Ive been supplementing this program with some isolated stuff for arms mainly:

Dumbbell hammer curls
Barbell arm curls
Triceps extensions
Dumbbell Shoulder raises etc.

And on occasion Olympic bar calf raises etc when I'm feeling fruity!

Not really sure if there is anything I should add or change though in terms of that stuff, I do want to get bigger stronger biceps but want to work from a good stable foundation for those.

Soldato
I would just take it easy and slowly build up the weights. If you want to be trim and well defined then I found more reps is better then just piling on the weight. My lats and traps are a bit prone to injury nowadays and I believe this is due to just hammering then too much too quick.

After you get into it you will also need to start mixing it up a bit. I found that after 6 months or so of training my body seemed to almost get used to the reps and excercises that I was doing. If I changed things up and did something completely different, in a different order I would feel the burn again the next day.

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
I would just take it easy and slowly build up the weights. If you want to be trim and well defined then I found more reps is better then just piling on the weight. My lats and traps are a bit prone to injury nowadays and I believe this is due to just hammering then too much too quick.

After you get into it you will also need to start mixing it up a bit. I found that after 6 months or so of training my body seemed to almost get used to the reps and excercises that I was doing. If I changed things up and did something completely different, in a different order I would feel the burn again the next day.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, yes ive been quite keen to stick to the program I am not too worried about the numbers that I'm lifting at the moment just keen to get into a bit of a better shape body wise and increase my strength so it seemed like a good foundation to build off.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, yes ive been quite keen to stick to the program I am not too worried about the numbers that I'm lifting at the moment just keen to get into a bit of a better shape body wise and increase my strength so it seemed like a good foundation to build off.
Yea it sounds like you are doing it right to me. Another thing to remember is that everyone's body reacts differently to different excercises and weight. What works for one person may not work for you.

Mix it up and bit and try to see what you respond to mind and body wise. This to me is the secret to going the gym and staying in the gym. Many people get bored and mainly is due to not seeing gains due to them sticking to what they have been told and not experimenting. Stay safe but keep it fresh.

Also convince yourself that the days that you go when you are not feeling up for it are the days where you make the most gains and the most difference ;).

Eat a balanced diet and add a couple of eggs in in the morning or evening and you won't need to worry about protein shakes and all that as I personally think that they don't help much and just turning the proteins in your everyday food into tight well built muscle is the best way to do it. I'm sure people will disagree with me on that one but ive lived it and it worked for me.

Soldato
OP
Yea it sounds like you are doing it right to me. Another thing to remember is that everyone's body reacts differently to different excercises and weight. What works for one person may not work for you.

Mix it up and bit and try to see what you respond to mind and body wise. This to me is the secret to going the gym and staying in the gym. Many people get bored and mainly is due to not seeing gains due to them sticking to what they have been told and not experimenting. Stay safe but keep it fresh.

Also convince yourself that the days that you go when you are not feeling up for it are the days where you make the most gains and the most difference ;).

Eat a balanced diet and add a couple of eggs in in the morning or evening and you won't need to worry about protein shakes and all that as I personally think that they don't help much and just turning the proteins in your everyday food into tight well built muscle is the best way to do it. I'm sure people will disagree with me on that one but ive lived it and it worked for me.

Thanks, I am on Whey (my protein) because for me its a nice treat to look forward to at the end of a workout.

Your right about the days where you are not feeling it. But im very good at forcing myself to go when I have a plan to stick to. If anything im probably worse at ensuring I get enough rest days or time between workouts.

Soldato
Thanks, I am on Whey (my protein) because for me its a nice treat to look forward to at the end of a workout.

Your right about the days where you are not feeling it. But im very good at forcing myself to go when I have a plan to stick to. If anything im probably worse at ensuring I get enough rest days or time between workouts.
The body can put up with hell of a lot and rest times are always exaggerated. Its the fuel that gets hard to keep up with.

Enjoy yourself and don't take it too seriously. Some of the guys that I used to train with were so ott with diet and form it took the fun out of it.

There is of course a right way to do it but form still has a little bit of varying to it much like people's body types. Its important to feel comfortable.

Soldato
OP
OK so today was a tough one:

Squat: 87.5kg - 5x5 Completed! Still feels OK form wise.
OHP: 50KG - 4/5/4/0/0 - FAILED - gutted. I know i hate this lift, but after finishing 47.5 last week I thought I would manage this - Same weight again next time.
DL: 90KG - 3x5 Completed instead of the 1x5 - Ive heard this is OK to do?

I also did:

3x8 of 50KG Benchpress
5x5 of 17.5KG DB Hammer Curls
3x5 25kg DB single arm rows
3x5 25KG DB Tricep extension (both arms) might swap these to single arms and lower the weight.
30kg Bicep curl bar to failure.

Because I wanted to

Soldato
OP
Today was:

SL Program:
Squat: 5x5 of 90KG - Completed
Bench: 5x5 of 57.5KG - Completed
BB ROW: 5x5 of 57.5KG - Completed

Freestyle:
DB Hammer Curls: 5x5 of 17.5KG (Each Arm)
Bicep Curls (Curl bar): 3x8 30kg
DB Front Raises: 3x8 9kg (Each Arm) Started light with these - never done them before so just wanted to try them out.
DB Row (front laid on incline bench): 15KG (Each arm) 3x8
DB calf raises: 50KG 3x8

500M run + 500M fast pace incline walk (11.5) for warm down.

cant wait to tackle OHP again on Wednesday ..... Wish me luck

Soldato
DL: 90KG - 3x5 Completed instead of the 1x5 - Ive heard this is OK to do?
Yes it is perfectly fine to do, and in fact 1x5 for beginners is just not enough, especially as you only deadlift 3 times per 2 weeks compared to squatting 6 times in the same period. Progression on deadlifts should also be considered to be +5kg per DL session until you stall the first time, then only progress at +2.5kg once you've cleared the weight you stall on.

Soldato
OP
Thanks bud! Ive been upping it as per the program suggests @5KG each time and have not failed yet.

Ill ensure I also for 3x5 DL's now until it starts to push me to failure then.

I can start to feel this program working now, all be it slowly. So im glad I started it.

I went to my parents house the other week to fit a new carpet in their living room and my mum told me my shoulders had really increased in size! so it must be starting to get a bit noticeable. Made me laugh though - first compliment from my mum of all people .... :o

Soldato
OP
7am start in the gym, no breakfast and no workout.

Warm up: 500M incline walk @ 11.5inc 4.5 speed

Squat: 92.5kg - 5x5 Completed!
OHP: 50KG - 3/0/0/0/0 - FAILED, so dropped back to 47.5kg: 5/4/5/5/4 - So same weight again next time. I might take some time out of a day to try work on form on this one, as clearly this is going to be my one to beat.
DL: 95KG - 3x5 Completed!

DB Hammer Curls: 3x5 of 17.5KG (Each Arm)
Bicep Curls (Curl bar): 3x5 35kg
DB Triceps extensions (1xDB) 25KG: 3x8

Feeling it today, I think thanks to the Deadlifts and squats!

I have 5 aside this evening, so that's going to be interesting.

Soldato
OP
Today:

SL Program:
Squat: 5x5 of 95KG - Completed
Bench: 5x5 of 60KG - Completed
BB ROW: 5x5 of 60KG - Completed

DB Hammer Curls: 3x5 of 17.5KG (Each Arm)
Bicep Curls (Curl bar): 3x5 40kg - ouch
Calf raises (Barbell) 3x8 60KG

Not a long one in there today.

Soldato
OP
Today:

Actually warmed up today a bit:

Stretches - Mainly hips and quads. Then SQ: Bar x5 and then SQ: 60KG x5

SL Program:

Squat: 5x5 of 97.5KG - 5/5/5/3/5 - Took a 3 mins break between sets 4 and 5 and completed it. So might do longer rest next time. Same weight :(
OHP: 5x5 of 47.5KG - Completed! WOOO
DL: 3x5 of 100KG - Completed!

DB Triceps extensions (1xDB) 20KG: 3x8
DB Single Arm Row: 25 KG single arm 3x5 (Each Arm)

I am off on Holiday on Friday for a week in cornwall so will have to try get some BW stuff in each evening to make up for it.

Soldato
OP
OK so took a week off eating cream tea etc in Cornwall..... However back on it now:

Monday:

Squat: 5x5 of 87.5.5KG - 5/5/5/3/5 - App suggested 10% deload due to week off, which i did.
OHP: 5x5 of 42.5KG - App suggested 10% deload due to week off, which i did.
DL: 3x5 of 105KG - App suggested 10% deload due to week off, which i didnt - because ... well deadlift!

DB Hammer Curls: 5x5 of 15KG (Each Arm)
Arm Curls: 35KG - till failure but cant remember reps.

Wednesday:

Squat: 5x5 of 90KG - Completed based on deload from Monday.
Bench: 5x5 of 62.5KG - Completed the app also suggested deload on this but felt ok to stay as normal
BB ROW: 5x5 of 62.5KG - Completed the app also suggested deload on this but felt ok to stay as normal

DB Triceps extensions (1xDB) 25KG: 3x5

500 Meter run to cool down- not much but was tired after a bad nights sleep.

Soldato
OP
I wouldnt say its wide OR narrow?

Shoulder width for legs and feetm and arms just outside of the chest.

Ill try get a video when i can get someone to film

Today:

Squat: 5x5 of 92.5KG (because of de load week) - Completed
OHP: 5x5 of 45KG - Completed!
DL: 3x5 of 107.5KG - Completed! And they felt really good today

DB Triceps extensions (1xDB) 20KG: 3x8

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok so I've not had time to update this in a few weeks, but the good news is i have still been going and i have also managed to push past some of my plats current lifts below:

Squat: 5x5 of 117.5KG
Bench: 5x5 of 80KG
BB ROW: 5x5 of 77.5KG
OHP: 5x5 of 55KG
DL: 1x5 of 120KG

The workouts are now taking a lot longer as I am having to ensure some good warm up sets before doing things like squats and OHP just to ensure i dont pull something (usually start with 5x60KG 3x90 KG then to lifting weight on squats, and similar method for OHP).

Ive not weighed myself in a while and I dont plan on it either. Although i think im going to stick it out a few more weeks, then look to drop the weights a little and up the reps a fair bit.

Soldato
Interested in this also. I've been meaning to start the same. I am 6ft 2 but only 11.5 stone skinny. I've always found diet the hardest part to bulk up. So what is your diet?
This is the program where you start off really light then build up every workout right?

Back
Top Bottom