Declining attitude to law and order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The only thing to take away from the George Floyd case was crap policing by a few crap police officers. However George didnt help himself with his actions and didnt deserve to die in that way. Certainly not racist though. and by the by, racism does exist, just not in the George Floyd case.

Associate
Let's hope not, it would be terrible to see a murderer walk free because his victim was a lesser criminal.
Well hopefully the jury will assess the evidence rather than deny a man a fair trial, which, in light of recent events and mass media coverage, he's got little chance of having.

Soldato
I am sure that you will find racists and tribalists in any group - so far as I am concerned that bit of whataboutery doesn't make it right, you may find it inevitable and acceptable?

No I certainly do not, however when you mention people of colour as the only ones to suffer from racism then what do you expect.
Why not all people who suffer racism because whites,Chinese ,Indian etc get plenty of it as well off black communities and vice a versa.
It's all wrong.

Caporegime
Certainly looks like needless bureaucracy to me when they could easily push through a bill in parliament instead, especially since they've done so on numerous occasions. Oh well, guess it's on the backburner.

Soldato
Certainly looks like needless bureaucracy to me when they could easily push through a bill in parliament instead, especially since they've done so on numerous occasions. Oh well, guess it's on the backburner.
I don't understand what you are saying. To simplify things there are seperation of powers and parliament (if it was sitting) cannot extend a sentence by decree. Previously the terms of release were changed in a number of cases by parliament however these did not affect the length of the sentence provided by the court.

Caporegime
I don't understand what you are saying. To simplify things there are seperation of powers and parliament (if it was sitting) cannot extend a sentence by decree. Previously the terms of release were changed in a number of cases by parliament however these did not affect the length of the sentence provided by the court.

I guess i'm mostly talking about the sentencing guidelines, which the government does certainly control the limits of. I guess i just find it curious, suppose I'll wait for this review to finish to see what they do with it.

Soldato
I thought it was known that the knee restraint was part of the training. Yes hard to watch but still required in some circumstances. I expect restraining a 200lb+ bouncer resisting arrest, high on meth and fentanyl is one of those times. Its going to be a bumpy ride.

Caporegime
I thought it was known that the knee restraint was part of the training. Yes hard to watch but still required in some circumstances. I expect restraining a 200lb+ bouncer resisting arrest, high on meth and fentanyl is one of those times. Its going to be a bumpy ride.

Pointed it out back in May. Gonna be a pertinent part of the officers defence.

Soldato
From the link below in their own policy.

https://web.archive.org/web/2012011...lis.mn.us/police/policy/mpdpolicy_5-300_5-300

5-311 USE OF NECK RESTRAINTS AND CHOKE HOLDS - DEFINITIONS (10/16/02) (08/17/07) (10/01/10)

Neck Restraint: Defined as compressing one or both sides of a person’s neck with an arm or leg, without applying direct pressure to the trachea or airway (front of the neck). A neck restraint may be used as a non-deadly force option when reasonably necessary. Only those sworn employees who have received initial and ongoing training from the MPD Training Unit are authorized to use neck restraints and only those techniques authorized by the MPD Training Unit may be used in non-deadly force situations. Sworn employees shall verify that their training is up-to-date prior to using the techniques.

Choke Hold: Defined as applying direct pressure on a person’s trachea or airway (front of the neck), blocking or obstructing the airway. A choke hold shall only be used when deadly force is justified.

Whether it was part of their training doesn't seem up for debate. It's whether it was appropriate at the time and how it continued to be used after Floyd lost consciousness. Poor training? Psycho cop? Who knows that's for the courts to decide.

Soldato
While it was horrible optics, it seems like the cops did nothing wrong. The full video shows they were patient and professional. It also confirms GF resisted, asked to be placed on the ground, and was clearly on something. So the question is whether the cops will go under the bus to appease the mob. I’m of the opinion that the mob has so much momentum that it’s beyond appeasement and needs crushing. The leeway it has been shown has only emboldened it. That goes double for the UK version. If this country was half as terrible as they claim we wouldn't have to import outrage from the US.

Caporegime
@Zatoichi.uK

There's a bit of conflict as the police chief at the start of the saga threw the officers under the bus by claiming it wasn't part of their policy. Something that was swiftly refuted by his own police force. Slightly worrying!

Soldato
@Zatoichi.uK

There's a bit of conflict as the police chief at the start of the saga threw the officers under the bus by claiming it wasn't part of their policy. Something that was swiftly refuted by his own police force. Slightly worrying!
That section I linked is quite old so it's possible that its no longer accurate and doesn't reflect their current procedures, but again we need to wait and see what the facts are. Everyone seems to have made their mind up already on Chauvin. It's possible he is simply a racist pos, but I expect it's more likely to have been driven by his knowledge of Floyds past behaviour. Time will tell.

Caporegime
Looks like they identified a suspect for the Birmingham stabber

Screenshot-20200906-200435-Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom