Declining attitude to law and order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Why wasn't his picture released in the early hours of yesterday morning? You are fixating on the fact I said radio. What about the TV news and also internet based news? The radio could interview a witness before his picture was released. Does it take so long to obtain CCTV? As the attack was random surely the public were still at risk yesterday? It was in the public's interest to have his image released. They didn't until late yesterday, why was this? Some might say it was political correctness

Commissario
Why wasn't his picture released in the early hours of yesterday morning? You are fixating on the fact I said radio. What about the TV news and also internet based news? The radio could interview a witness before his picture was released. Does it take so long to obtain CCTV? As the attack was random surely the public were still at risk yesterday? It was in the public's interest to have his image released. They didn't until late yesterday, why was this? Some might say it was political correctness
It takes time to release CCTV that you know is the person you're after...It really doesn't help if you release footage of the wrong person and the police these days tend to like to be reasonably sure they're asking for the public to ID the right person.

Depending on which CCTV system it was caught on it might take until the police have identified possible systems and contacted the operators of the CCTV to ask them to copy it so the police could then show it to witnesses.

So potentially several hours to find the CCTV systems that may have caught a picture and contact the people that run them (or the person that knows how to use them - not necessarily the owner), then get witnesses to look at pictures from it to give an id as to who they saw, which means you're unlikely to get anything useful for 6-12 hours if it happened over night, unless the attack was caught on police/council run CCTV in which case you only have to wait for them to find and review that footage.
CCTV unless it's from a central control room tends to take time for the police to get, as they don't have any magical way of getting the right footage instantly and even if they did have that, they'd still have a delay whilst they got witnesses to look through it (after asking them questions, so the initial statements were not tainted by what they then saw on the CCTV).

In short there is almost always going to be a delay in getting the picture out, nothing to do with being "politically correct".

I remember a time not too long ago when getting CCTV footage of a suspect out within 24 hours was pretty fast.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
Bigotry and a fear of people who are "different" has probably been a characteristic of humans since first they walked the Earth.

There have been instances throughout human history when people hated and persecuted Jews, Christians, Protestants, Muslims, Hindus, Homosexuals, foreigners in general, people with long hair, people with no hair, people who talked "funny", the disabled and many other examples of those who are "different".

It is not something of which you should feel proud, you should feel ashamed and perhaps learn not to discriminate against an entire group on the basis of one shared characteristic.

Permabanned
I am afraid simple statistics over rule fears of being called a bigot when I meet young black people in city centres late at night, it's commonly called self preservation in my book. The statistics clearly show apprehensiveness to be a good approach ;) I see a 15 year old school boy has been shot today, and a teenager arrested for the shooting in Suffolk, the streets are becoming more and more like the wild west.

Last edited:
Soldato

Nothing to do with political correctness, images of a suspect are almost never released immediately following an incident as there are other lines of enquiry that can and need to be completed before releasing a media appeal. There will have been a lot of work going on in order to ascertain his movements via CCTV review and other means, and various attempts made to identify him before the release of CCTV images would be permitted.

Caporegime
If we close our eyes and pretend it doesn't happen, maybe it will all go away?

Screenshot-20200907-172023-Chrome.jpg

Caporegime
Nothing to do with political correctness, images of a suspect are almost never released immediately following an incident as there are other lines of enquiry that can and need to be completed before releasing a media appeal. There will have been a lot of work going on in order to ascertain his movements via CCTV review and other means, and various attempts made to identify him before the release of CCTV images would be permitted.

Then why not release a description of the guy at least? He's a proven danger to the public.

Associate

In my experience they are released in a timely manner when a manhunt is currently on, especially when there are multiple eyewitness accounts and witnesses to collaborate what is on the CCTV. Even if they said he was wanted in connection with rather than he was the prime suspect. That's how it seems to work in other countries and has here when it's been a white suspect. Like others have said. Surely they should at least say a black male in his 30s and what he was last seen wearing etc. Because of the many eyewitness reports they would be able to release that within 30 minutes of the first attack surely?

Soldato
In my experience they are released in a timely manner when a manhunt is currently on, especially when there are multiple eyewitness accounts and witnesses to collaborate what is on the CCTV. Even if they said he was wanted in connection with rather than he was the prime suspect. That's how it seems to work in other countries and has here when it's been a white suspect. Like others have said. Surely they should at least say a black male in his 30s and what he was last seen wearing etc. Because of the many eyewitness reports they would be able to release that within 30 minutes of the first attack surely?

If you think it's all about race then I'm not going to change your mind, but what I've outlined is the normal procedure regardless of race, ethnicity or any other factor you wish to invent. Police in other countries are free to do as they see fit under their own legislation.

Associate
If you think it's all about race then I'm not going to change your mind, but what I've outlined is the normal procedure regardless of race, ethnicity or any other factor you wish to invent. Police in other countries are free to do as they see fit under their own legislation.

I don't know of it's all about race and I really hope it hasn't come to that. The procedures are not fit for purpose in my opinion if they are what you say they are. He could have killed more people all because the police are slow at releasing the identity.

Soldato
I don't know of it's all about race and I really hope it hasn't come to that. The procedures are not fit for purpose in my opinion if they are what you say they are. He could have killed more people all because the police are slow at releasing the identity.

You seem to be under the impression that if he was white, this would have somehow hurried things along. It wouldn't, the process is the same and the investigative work going on in the background takes priority over giving the public something to look at and someone to blame.

A line of enquiry was established (not clear if this came from the media release at this stage either) and the suspect was identified and arrested without further harm to anyone else, seems fit for purpose by any normal measure.

Caporegime
Why have no details of the guy been released other than his age? Normally we know their name and where they're from at least!

Also 4 more arrested on charges of aiding a criminal.

Associate
You seem to be under the impression that if he was white, this would have somehow hurried things along. It wouldn't, the process is the same and the investigative work going on in the background takes priority over giving the public something to look at and someone to blame.

A line of enquiry was established (not clear if this came from the media release at this stage either) and the suspect was identified and arrested without further harm to anyone else, seems fit for purpose by any normal measure.

Who was to say that he wouldn't harm anyone else? The police must be amazingly psychic that they knew the last victim would be his last and that they could take a day to release his image and not warn the public.

Soldato
Very odd, although questions are seemingly already being asked as the mayor has had to come out in their defence.

They're either inept or incredibly under resourced.
Or all the witnesses were so woke that they didn't feel reporting the suspects colour would be relevant.

I'm sure Gary Lineker will bail him out and welcome him into his home though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom