Dedicated sound card or onboard question

Associate
Hi all,

Quick question here, I am upgrading my rig for the first time in many many moons.

I have in my current system a creative X-fi platinum dedicated sound card - this is now obviously old tech but wondering if there are any benefits keeping it in the new system over the dedicated onboard sound. New motherboard is a Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X.

Mainly just used for playing music/movies and gaming. Attached to a creative gigaworks 2.1 set of speakers and senheiser wireless headphones.

many thanks in advance.

Soldato
I would expect a sound card such as the one you have to be an improvement over any onboard audio, but there are several factors to take into consideration.

How good onboard audio does vary. Some are better than others, plus any possible EMI may have an impact on that. Then you've got the listener's own experience to factor in. By that I mean you may get someone who notices differences more than someone else.

Seeing as you have the sound card, then it would be best to give it a try and decide for yourself if you notice much difference.

Associate
OP
I would expect a sound card such as the one you have to be an improvement over any onboard audio, but there are several factors to take into consideration.

How good onboard audio does vary. Some are better than others, plus any possible EMI may have an impact on that. Then you've got the listener's own experience to factor in. By that I mean you may get someone who notices differences more than someone else.

Seeing as you have the sound card, then it would be best to give it a try and decide for yourself if you notice much difference.

Thanks very much, I will put it in and see!

Back
Top Bottom