Deep Fat Fryer... never had one, am I missing out?

Soldato
If you've got the space to store it, a cheap one is worth having stashed away somewhere.

I love making croquettes, mashed potato and chuck in a few tasty bits, breadcrumb and fry them up.

Stuff like chorizo and sweetcorn with a smoky dip.

Prawn with a sweet chilli.

Plus you can make loads up and freeze them.

Soldato
Other than chips, would love to make some scotch eggs :D

Other than that, a useful addition to the kitchen?

I keep telling the wife all the things I would make with a deep fat fryer, but ending the conversation with "but we can't ever buy one, because I would deep fry everything. Literally everything."

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I keep telling the wife al the things I would make with a deep fat fryer, but ending the conversation with "but we can't ever buy one, because I would deep fry everything. Literally everything."

That is the best thing isn't it?

Deep fried chicken with homemade chips and some breaded mushrooms?

And hash browns and sausages for breakfast - lol

This is the same person who has not owned a freezer for over 10 years as I believe it makes me eat healthier... No idea if true.

Soldato
I just use a sauce pan and some veg oil, seems to work fine. Just be sensible and don't whack it up at the hottest setting and go to the pub. I then sieve the oil and keep it in it's own bottle for up to 3 uses and then bin the bottle.

Soldato
I just use a sauce pan and some veg oil, seems to work fine. Just be sensible and don't whack it up at the hottest setting and go to the pub. I then sieve the oil and keep it in it's own bottle for up to 3 uses and then bin the bottle.
3 uses, that it. I use lard for about 6 months, use it at least twice a week.

Soldato
I've just thrown mine away. Apart from deep fried chicken there isn't much where I can't find acceptable alternatives. I did like making chips but prefer the air fryer these days even if they're not quite as good. Crocquettes can be shallow fried. The question you have to ask is are you going to use it enough to justify the storage space. If you are doing lots of relatively cooking from cook books then go for it but otherwise not sure it's worth the effort. Saucepan and basket sounds like a better call for the occasional use, just be careful.

Soldato
We have one, but rarely use it. However, for the things we use it for it's great. My father in law was a fireman so my other half has heard so many stories of chip pan fires that she doesn't want to deep fry in a sauce pan. I'm fine with that as I don't much like them either.

- Falafel. Oven baked just doesn't taste right.
- Triple cooked chips. We usually do chips in the air fryer but as a treat we'll do triple cooked.
- Samosas. My other half makes great samosas and they're best part cooked in the fryer until crispy and then we freeze them and bake them in the oven when we want to eat one.
- Fried chicken.

We're lucky enough to have a big kitchen so when the fryer isn't being used it lives in a cupboard.

Associate
They're great as long as you have space under/near your extraction, and look after the oil/fat (i.e. let it cool, strain it into sealed container), then clean it down frequently. That way you avoid the kitchen stinking of grease, and extend the life of the oil.

Definitely worthwhile just to make fresh buttermilk, deep-fried chicken. Mmmm.

Soldato
They're great as long as you have space under/near your extraction, and look after the oil/fat (i.e. let it cool, strain it into sealed container), then clean it down frequently. That way you avoid the kitchen stinking of grease, and extend the life of the oil.

Definitely worthwhile just to make fresh buttermilk, deep-fried chicken. Mmmm.
I must be doing something wrong then, just use it as it is, when finished just let it cool and put it away when solid. Good 6 months use.

Permabanned
I miss when i lived at home my parents had one. Everything went into it chips, Then the beef aausages and then the bacon. :D

But the smell OMG, Today i refuse to touch one the smells revolting and actually annoys me as my neighbours ar always using thiers and if you sit outside at 5pm that is all you smell, And thats why i wont sit outside until the chav Gordon Ramsey has cooked the kids dinner in the fryer.

Soldato
I miss when i lived at home my parents had one. Everything went into it chips, Then the beef aausages and then the bacon. :D

But the smell OMG, Today i refuse to touch one the smells revolting and actually annoys me as my neighbours ar always using thiers and if you sit outside at 5pm that is all you smell, And thats why i wont sit outside until the chav Gordon Ramsey has cooked the kids dinner in the fryer.
He's a chav for using a deep fat fryer?

Permabanned
He's a chav for using a deep fat fryer?

Literally every day so yes, He pollutes the entire streets air quality you can smell it in my garden. He has zero cooking skills, Zero parenting skills so they live off the fryer. I know his kind there are others like him but they rotate it between the fryer and Mc Donalds.

Its meant to be a treat not a daily cooking method, Its unhealthy and extemely smelly. A good Air Fryer is actually sadly more suited to me because of the cleanliness and smells.

Soldato
Literally every day so yes, He pollutes the entire streets air quality you can smell it in my garden. He has zero cooking skills, Zero parenting skills so they live off the fryer. I know his kind there are others like him but they rotate it between the fryer and Mc Donalds.

Its meant to be a treat not a daily cooking method, Its unhealthy and extemely smelly. A good Air Fryer is actually sadly more suited to me because of the cleanliness and smells.
Why is it unhealthy, depends what he's cooking and what fat he's using. Deep frying it's self is not unhealthy. Our are you one of the brain washed that buys into the fats are bad.
Air fryer is just a glorified tiny convection oven not even comparable to deep frying.

Although not everyday, id say I deep fry at least 3 times a week. I fry every day though.

Permabanned
Why is it unhealthy, depends what he's cooking and what fat he's using. Deep frying it's self is not unhealthy. Our are you one of the brain washed that buys into the fats are bad.
Air fryer is just a glorified tiny convection oven not even comparable to deep frying.

At a guess, I suspect they deepfry chips and fish fingers i am no expert but they always mantained it is a cause of heart disease. I mean do not get me wrong you can not beat it for chips and yes the air fryer is a convection oven but it isnt half bad.

The glass bowl models work well if you lightly toss them in say rapeseed oil and keep turning them you get into the realms of decent chips compared to the metal or ceramic versions. I cant deal with the buckets of fat and cleaning it though it makes me feel like i need two showers back to back.

Back
Top Bottom