1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defeat for Tony in the commons

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dolph, 31 Jan 2006.

1. Dolph

Man of Honour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4664398.stm

Nice to see the commons standing up for common sense for a change. The bill as originally drafted was a shockingly bad piece of legislation. Open ended, imprecise and generally very poorly written.

2. AJUK

Man of Honour

Good, this was an afront to free speech.

3. memphisto

Man of Honour

thank god.

4. Saberu

Mobster

Does that mean TB could have voted but didn't?

If it does I bet hes kicking himself right now because that one vote would have changed the result.

5. tbz_ck

Mobster

I'm glad the Lords amendments stand. Imagine someone getting jailed for throwing around an idle word coz some muppet decided to take offense......

The amendments ensure that there has to be a cast iron motive for stirring up religious and racial hatred, so freedom of speech now still stands.

Thank God....

6. anarchist

PermaBanned

Yes, funny isn't it :D

I can't think why he wouldn't vote really, given that he was so keen for the bill to go through. I can't believe he was that complacent about winning that he didn't think his vote mattered?

7. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Would this legislation have applied in Scotland? Did Scottish MP’s vote in the division?

8. anarchist

PermaBanned

9. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Yep read it, Scots MP's did vote but of those that did vote most were against. The majority of Scottish Labour MP's abstained as they were campaigning in a by-election.

Still don't know if it would have applied in Scotland though, must check, although I believe the devolution of powers would preclude it.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

11. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

No, it wouldn't have applied in Scotland. We already have religious hatred laws.