Degree Completion

Associate
Hi,

I have a training agreement at work that requires me to reimburse university course costs if I leave within one year of completing my course. However it does not state when a course is considered complete so my question is when does a university course complete?

1. End of lectures/teaching?
2. When you finish exams?
3. End of academic year?
4. When you receive results?
5. Graduation?

Thanks

Caporegime
Presumably 4 or 5... at a guess I'd say 4 - the graduation ceremony is just a ceremony and you don't have to attend it... it is when you receive your results that you've got the qualification.

Then again I guess technically the course ends at the official end dat of the course - which may well be after exams but before you get the results...

Don
And as for alerting his employer that he's thinking of leaving ? So what ? What are they going to do ? Cut his head off ? lol. You can't sack someone for asking a question.
You know most employers like employees who are committed to the company and the better ones (like ones that offer to pay for degree courses) reward them as such. Marking himself out as a mercenary who was only there to get a degree and then leave at the first oppurtunity could potentially mean that if he stays he might not get the same rewards (pay increases, promotion, first choice of work).

Play the game, keep your options open.

Soldato
potentially

And potentially nothing will happen. In fact probably, most likely, nothing will happen. Asking a question doesn't automatically make you a dissident/pariah/bad apple/subversive element. That's just drama talk.

Basically the company he works for knows the answer to his question because they have their own policies regarding it. So they are the best people to ask. Coming on GD and asking, not so good.

Don
And potentially nothing will happen. In fact probably, most likely, nothing will happen. Asking a question doesn't automatically make you a dissident/pariah/bad apple/subversive element. That's just drama talk.

Basically the company he works for knows the answer to his question because they have their own policies regarding it. So they are the best people to ask. Coming on GD and asking, not so good.
Yes, nothing might happen, but there's a chance something might happen as a result, versus not asking directly meaning definitely nothing happens.

Would you tell your employer you were taking some time off to go to a job interview?

Don
Probably not. But if I did what could they do ? Not pay me for a day ? Big deal. They couldn't legally sack me.
Yes, but they might then preferentially treat other employees over you thinking, well he's leaving anyway! Might not be a big deal if you do leave, but if you don't you could impact your career in the short term.

OP, you should really have asked this question at the start of your contract, as I'm assuming you're in the position now you're looking to move elsewhere and want to know when you can safely do it. For the sake of a couple of months, just wait until you're definitely clear of the 1 year.

Soldato
Indeed. Plus assuming it's a big company that sponsored you through Uni, it will probably be well known in the sector that you're working in that they do sponsor applicants through university in exchange for the job at the end of it. So any company you apply to will see that you're fresh out of uni with the bare 1 year minimum under your belt, put two and two together and come to the assumption that you freeloaded a degree out of them then jumped ship as soon as you could.

Of course, there's reasons for doing this, if the company you got sponsored by turned out to be awful, there's nothing wrong with doing that. Just keep in mind how it will look for potential employers in the future.

That said, I left my first company after less than a year from leaving uni, but they didn't sponsor me through it, and I didn't have a problem finding a better job.

Caporegime
Yeah. Being logical is a no no on these forums, I keep forgetting that. ;)

And as for alerting his employer that he's thinking of leaving ? So what ? What are they going to do ? Cut his head off ? lol. You can't sack someone for asking a question.

your job doesn't pay any significant form of discretionary bonus I presume?

Soldato
I would think 4 as at that point you have gained your qualification

I'd say on the Graduation is when it is issued, either in person if you attend, or otherwise if you do not, until that step I would say the course isn't complete, as you have not received the qualification, even if you know it is coming.

Soldato
Id say 4.. You've completed the course as you no longer have any work or exams to do. Waiting for the results usually takes a month or two.

Does seem like a bit of a **** move though, I'm not starting an argument or anything as I don't know the situation but certainly wouldn't look good to the next employer!

Back
Top Bottom