1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dehumidifier

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iBot, 24 Jul 2006.

1. iBot

PermaBanned

In the winter months cardboard seems to absorb water in my room, Will a Dehumidifier fix this?

Is there anything wrong with the cheap ones on ebay?

Is this an all year round appliance or a winter months only one?

2. robbiemc

Wise Guy

I had a similar problem in my bedroom and whereas a dehumidifer did fix the problem, it's a temporary fix.
    I found the problem was condensation from the bathroom/kitchen that would go into my room and have no where to go, so in the end I got a builder to install an extraction fan in the bathroom and an air-brick in the bedroom which has cured the problem.

I wouldn't go with a temporary fix on this as it's just going to cause problems in the long term.

3. SiriusB

Capodecina

Aren't extraction fans in bathrooms compulsory these days?

Dehumidifier's aren't terribly expensive nor high-tech so a cheapo one on ebay will probably be fine. Before we built our new kitchen the old dining room used to get alot of condensation due to the dryer and the cookers.

Wasnt a big problem but we noticed the wallpaper go a bit funny so we got a dehumidifier and it did the trick.

SiriusB

4. iBot

PermaBanned

5. robbiemc

Wise Guy

Yeah thats right..I had a damp expert come in to identify the problem, and this was his solution.

If the air-brick is in the bedroom them a fan for it wouldn't be terribly practical..it'll be devilishly noisy for a start which means you're unlikely to use it enough to make a difference.

In my case I had two installed at the top of the exterior walls, but of course your situation may be different.

Although a dehumdifier will do the trick (it worked for me), it simply doesn't cure the problem, and having a noisy big box that sucks electricity is a poor temporary fix.

It won't cost anything for an expert to give a quote (get a couple of them to be sure) and at least you'll know what the problem is.

6. iBot

PermaBanned

i have one of those airbrick things in my room and the bathroom, no fans though

7. robbiemc

Wise Guy

A fan in the bathroom is a very good idea. Mine is set to come on when the light is turned on, and stays on for five mins afterwards to help with the vapour. I would say this would be a good place to start, but of course you'll need an electrician/builder to safely integrate it in this manner.

Call up a couple of places tomorrow and take their advice, after all we're just anonymous internet users here ;)

Last edited: 24 Jul 2006