Dell 24 incher (NO RULE BREAKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ok its interesting to find out just what will give the best results for fullscreen video on these monitors.

Im still holding off on someone testing a DVD at native res fullscreen to the other screen resolutions I mentiond earlier, gees like isnt anyone going to give it a try and still nothing of a OcUK member review in sight :eek:

[SIZE=-1]Personally if I had one of these a thread would have been littered with pics and piled with info on tests from general windows usage to entertainment quality on movies with comparisons on various screen resolutions as one of the important evaulations. External sources would have been compared with just about every console tested in 480i 480p 720p 1080i for the review. Maybe its just me but Im thinking its about time somebody gave this unit such a proper going over. [/SIZE]

Hopefully soon one will appear, come on whos up for it?
(impatience or frustration, its one or the other I rekon)

Soldato
Mr Latte said:
Ok its interesting to find out just what will give the best results for fullscreen video on these monitors.

Im still holding off on someone testing a DVD at native res fullscreen to the other screen resolutions I mentiond earlier, gees like isnt anyone going to give it a try and still nothing of a OcUK member review in sight :eek:

[SIZE=-1]Personally if I had one of these a thread would have been littered with pics and piled with info on tests from general windows usage to entertainment quality on movies with comparisons on various screen resolutions as one of the important evaulations. External sources would have been compared with just about every console tested in 480i 480p 720p 1080i for the review. Maybe its just me but Im thinking its about time somebody gave this unit such a proper going over. [/SIZE]

Hopefully soon one will appear, come on whos up for it?
(impatience or frustration, its one or the other I rekon)

i can do the testing for it at diff resulutions. . cept i think mine came without the driver cd. as for doing a big review you must realise how poor my grammar is by now.

Associate
Go to Dell website and you can download the driver. You will need the driver as most games really on driver telling them the resolutions your monitor will support.

Before I installed driver WOW didnt display 1920x1200 as an option.

Associate
Wish I had the knowledge to assist you Latte; but I can promise that I will follow this thread with interest to see the results. BIg of me I know :)

I had the option tonight to watch Das Boot on my 24" PC screen sitting at my desk or go and snuggle up on the couch a watch it on my WS CRT TV...The couch/CRT wins every time :)
IMHO, 24" just is to small for a DVD "theatre" and makes it harder to employ a true 5.1 surround speaker setup. On the other hand, if you’re in a small box room and cramped for space, I can see this monitor making a good job of both worlds.

For me, watching DVD's on a relatively small LCD panel, even though it does allows you to be closer without going blind, does not beat watching from a distance on a bigger screen; it also as the added advantage of increasing ones fitness levels (getting from desk and walking to the TV) :D

I think we are slowly getting there on the tft front, and sooner than latter, we will have really large high res fast response tft’s that will eventually do both very well...Might need to buy a larger desk or build a solid brick supporting wall though...

I bet ya most of the 24" owners here are all off playing there fav sim/game and enjoying there new beasts; the selfish swines! :)

It might be an idea to start a seperate more specific thread to get the answers Latte; when you look at this one and see it's 20 pages long(!), those selfish swines ;) might miss your valid and important/questions.

Cheers

Soldato
I wouldnt intend watching movies on one neither, its more to be assured the quality is good for Trailers and Tv shows all of which can be rather limited in quality or resolution to begin with, that why Im concerned regarding various resolutions.

Having a nice 24" high res panel for games etc might be great but hey If the fullscreen quality sucks for the general amount of videos isnt this then a drawback for others reading or considering also? Scaling is very important cause all these swines (you call em) will one day have a problem playing something like Unreal 3 on their current hardware at this babies native.

Ive decided I wont be buying one anyways, its just general interst...

Associate
Stuff the trailers and TV shows, but I get your point :)
I would say that the high native res really means upgrade time for many(myself included); there shoud be a "Upgrade Imminent warning" on the box. I've only gone down to 1600x1200 on one of my taxing flight sims and at that res it seems to scale very well(so it should I suppose, not far of 1920x1200 native).

My sons Dell 2001FP works fine at it's native res(1600x1200) for general browsing and scales ok for some of his sims(poor kid's only got a Gforce 2 Ultra, but like a vulture flying overhead looking for left-overs, he will soon get my 9800pro which will eanble him to go back to native and crank up a few graphic settings).

Are you sure your not tempted to buy one Latte?
Go on, you know you want one really, be a devil ;)

BTW, what screen are you using at the moment ?

Cheers

Associate
Good write up daddyorchips and you make good sense in what you say m8.
I'm off to download some of those HDTV sample movies and see for myself.

Ta

Associate
Good morning gentlemen.

Ran some of those HDTV samples (1080P) and it was quite an amazing picture. My card was struggling to keep up though.

Soldato
Gents today is a new day... :D

Daddy you mention no difference with PDVD with various resolutions at fullscreen. Can you please confirm that the settings within PDVD is where you set the new screen res and not just on Desktop as PDVD will revert to the set res in its own options when fullscreen.

Look forward to more pics, besides we all love pics here dont we? Trust me Ill repay you all for my liitle annoyances soon with a nice interesting thread based on my long overdue room project.

Once again thanks and enjoy the coffee..

Associate
Mine has now arrived.

Too late to get much done on it today, but I can confirm that it has zero pixel faults and no sign of the 'droop' problem.

Soldato
Slap said:
Are you sure your not tempted to buy one Latte?
Go on, you know you want one really, be a devil ;)

BTW, what screen are you using at the moment ?
Cheers

Well Slap at this moment in time do you think I really need one?

Data On Screen.JPG

Welcome to "lounge mode" @ Latte's Loft
New 3 Way configuration 80" 19" 19" all from the comfort of italian leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom