Dell G5 5505 driver issue Windows 10 Home

Associate
Hi all,

After installing the latest AMD drivers from there website Windows update then tries to install an older version of the drivers is there a way to stop Windows update from doing this?

The windows drivers seem to have a problem using the 5600m card it just uses the onboard instead.

Soldato
Cool, you probably don't have as much granular control as with Pro or Enterprise, but you should search the registry for:
Key: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

The value:
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate should be present, set to 0. If it's not, right click, add DWORD value with the name and set to 1. This disables WU from downloading drivers during Windows Update

Either way 0 = download drivers, 1 = don't download drivers

Associate
OP
Hi Djanjo x2, the path you've put isn't on my registry, please bare with me I'm not great at these things.

0D0p41q.jpg
0D0p41q

Soldato
Are you definitely in hkey local machine? If you are, you can add the folder key too. Just add the windows update folder then the key into the folder.

Also, open regedit as admin to make sure it's not hiding keys you don't have access to.

Soldato
@holty
The path you navigated to was Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. The one you want is in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate.

Though I don't see the above WindowsUpdate folder shown above, so you might have to create it yourself.

Associate
OP
I had to run regedit as administrator for it to show HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but it still doesn't show WindowsUdate, this is getting a little bit above me now lol.

So I need to create it and how would I go about doing that? I'm really sorry to be a pain.

zLPsVZe.jpg

Soldato
I had to run regedit as administrator for it to show HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but it still doesn't show WindowsUdate, this is getting a little bit above me now lol.

So I need to create it and how would I go about doing that? I'm really sorry to be a pain.

zLPsVZe.jpg

Right click on the Windows folder in your screenshot, new folder then the rest as above

Associate
OP
Right I think I'm going to leave it I'm so confused, when I right click on the Windows folder there is no option to create a new folder.

kFncL3N.jpg

Soldato
Yep, now from an elevated CMD prompt run gpudate /force or restart whilst press and holding down shift

Once restarted, check the reg key still exists. Then do what you need to do to remove the driver, install the one you want on there, and then run a Windows update

Associate
OP
Oh yes it worked its put them in the optional update part where you have to tick the box to update, thanks again to everyone who helped me solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom