1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell laptop and win xp home oem cd

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Faz, 18 Feb 2006.

1. Faz

Wise Guy

It's been asked before but

I have a dell laptop with xp home on it and lots of associated dell rubbish.

Will I be able to use my desktop xp home oem disk to install it on the laptop if I use the laptop product key, basically want xp home without all the dell crap

Cheers Faz

2. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

Didn't they ship you a CD with the laptop?

That's what they did when I bought mine and the work kitted up. I just used that CD to get rid of all of the rubbish that they load on it

If not I don't see why using another CD but the Dell key should cause any problems

3. Faz

Wise Guy

No it came with a hidden partion with win xp on :(

I'll give it a try later

Cheers

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

the dell key will not work on an oem instiliation, the keys are tied to dells windows cds only

5. vintage-x

Wise Guy

there should be a program somewhere among all the junk that you use to back up systemfiles onto a cd then when you need to reinstall windows you just boot up with the disk and volia crap free dell laptop. I cant remember where it is though just look through all the dell stuff.

6. Jonny69

Man of Honour

You will be able to use any XP Home OEM CD with the key on the laptop, sorry Blitz you're wrong on that one :)

I can't believe my eyes when I see that Dells come preinstalled with what looks like their own breed of spyware and all that other crap that slows it down. You would be best off getting rid of all it and start afresh if you can.

Edit: you'll have to download the drivers from their site and just check it's not Media Center installed like a lot are.

7. tom_e

Man of Honour

Ive tried the one that was stuck to the side of a dell pc once and it didnt work and i swear ive heard that before :confused: ah well learn something new :)

8. Jonny69

Man of Honour

I've reinstalled a couple of times and it's been fine. Same with Packard Bell, Compaq, Sony etc.

Sure you had the right version of XP ie an OEM and not a retail disk?