DELL S2721DGF 4K Downscale Support PS5 "Solution"

Associate
Hi everyone,

I signed into this forum to spread some awareness (future google searches etc).

Last year I bought a Dell S2721DGF, a cheaper GL/GN850 so a fantastic monitor. One annoyance I had is that the PS5 (Sony) does not support 1440p, and the Dell does not accept a 4K signal and downscale (through the PS5) like some other monitors can do. However, I have found a way to mimic/ emulate this feature.

Yesterday, while looking into some other issue I came across a passing comment on the internet that mentioned something called an EDID emulator. I bought one for about £20 (Brand: Evanlak, the 4K one). I erased the retailer I bought it from as we are not allowed to mention other retailers? I got it from the guys named after a rainforest (where I could return hassle free should something go wrong).

My item arrived today, I plugged the device into the back of my monitor and connected the PS5 (I turned off HDCP beforehand). My PS5 now outputs 4K and the Dell picks it up and downscales for a much sharper image. The colour format is YUV420 (I don't know if this is a bad thing or not but games looked good to me). HDR is not supported (I personally don't use HDR on this monitor).

Initial round of testing (playing one match in cold war), I did not notice any input lag. If/ when I manage to get some more gaming done and if I notice that something is off I'll update, or if someone else notices please do let us know.

Ultimately, I am pretty happy with this simple device as it lets me use the Dell to its fullest in terms of resolution sharpness. It's a solution that works for me until sony patches in 1440p support or better more feature rich (HDR, HDMI 2.1 etc) monitors become readily available.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi everyone,

I signed into this forum to spread some awareness (future google searches etc).

Last year I bought a Dell S2721DGF, a cheaper GL/GN850 so a fantastic monitor. One annoyance I had is that the PS5 (Sony) does not support 1440p, and the Dell does not accept a 4K signal and downscale (through the PS5) like some other monitors can do. However, I have found a way to mimic/ emulate this feature.

Yesterday, while looking into some other issue I came across a passing comment on the internet that mentioned something called an EDID emulator. I bought one for about £20 (Brand: Evanlak, the 4K one). I erased the retailer I bought it from as we are not allowed to mention other retailers? I got it from the guys named after a rainforest (where I could return hassle free should something go wrong).

My item arrived today, I plugged the device into the back of my monitor and connected the PS5 (I turned off HDCP beforehand). My PS5 now outputs 4K and the Dell picks it up and downscales for a much sharper image. The colour format is YUV420 (I don't know if this is a bad thing or not but games looked good to me). HDR is not supported (I personally don't use HDR on this monitor).

Initial round of testing (playing one match in cold war), I did not notice any input lag. If/ when I manage to get some more gaming done and if I notice that something is off I'll update, or if someone else notices please do let us know.

Ultimately, I am pretty happy with this simple device as it lets me use the Dell to its fullest in terms of resolution sharpness. It's a solution that works for me until sony patches in 1440p support or better more feature rich (HDR, HDMI 2.1 etc) monitors become readily available.

Hope this helps someone.

Interesting, any update?

Associate
OP
Any luck running 120hz with this "emulator"?

Yeah I'm able to run 1080p at 120hz with or without the emulator. Not possible to do 1440p@120 (PS5 does not support 1440p) or 4K@120 (lack of HDMI 2.1).

I know some monitors have trouble getting a 120hz signal from the PS5, even though they support high refresh rates. According to some other videos or reviews, this edid emulator may help with that "compatibility" issue, but I can't/ don't speak from personal experience as the dell just works in that regard.

Associate
Weird, i have that dell monitor (but the "A" variant) and would get a black screen display last time i tried 120 fps (this was Devil may cry game), i ordered that adapter anyways, thanks!

Associate
Weird, i have that dell monitor (but the "A" variant) and would get a black screen display last time i tried 120 fps (this was Devil may cry game), i ordered that adapter anyways, thanks!
Fyi the A variant is just the europe model theres no difference at all

Back
Top Bottom