1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Server Multimedia?? Help Please!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by chez, 4 Feb 2006.

1. chez

Hitman

I have a Dell Poweredge 1800 server (dual 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB HT Xeon, 1.5GB RAM).

Before people start telling me I don't need a server for multimedia, I am well aware of this, I use it to run VMWare GSX, which runs my domain and Media Center PCs/Servers, along with other business apps.

That said, I would like to utilise the 2 physical (plus 2 virtual) CPUs to encode videos a bit quicker!

I believe I will need a dedicated VGA and sound card for this (whenever I try to encode using Windows Media Encoder or CuCuSoft AVI->VCD, I get errors saying that I do not have the right codec installed (even though I have installed all codecs under the sun). Oddly, Videora Xbox 360 Video Convertor works, but I think this transcodes rather than converts (is there a difference?).

According to Dell, I have the following expansion slots available -

Six total: two PCI Express slots (1 x 8 lane and 1 x 4 lane);
    two PCI-X® slots (64-bit/100MHz); one PCI (32-bit/33MHz, 5v)
    and one PCI (64-bit/66MHz).

Now, I can obviously get a PCI graphics card and stick that in the PCI (32-Bit) slot, but can I put a sound card in the 64-Bit slot (or even one of the PCI-X ones? - I seem to recall my M-Audio Delta 2496 saying it was PCI-X compatible on the box, but I'd rather fiund out it's safe before I risk killing the card by trying it!).

Thanks in advance
    Chez