Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
Thought I would create a log on here, one so I don't clog up the gym ratz thread so often, and two, hopefully I will get more feedback on my workout and progress here.

Most updates in this thread will be copied from the blog, so I apologise for the crudeness of the updates.[/SPOILER]

I've been lifting continuously since August 2011 with a small gap in the middle due to an injury to my lower back or glute, this stopped a lot of progression and pretty much stopped me from squatting or dead lifting for a few months, needless to say I'm now doing both exercises and making progress! I did start to train in around 2009/10, but again, injury to my shoulder stopped progression.

My girlfriend thinks I have an obsession with the gym, and everything Arnold Schwarzenegger..She's probably right, but I really don't care :D

I'm wanting to finally make some progress now, look like I can lift for once, rather than the pathetic thing I look like right now. With help to various members on this forum, especially Steedie for helping me out with my diet this year, the rest of this and next year should be good.

I went on a cut around June/July this year (2012) - Lost just over 10kg in that time, which I was happy with, now it's time for a cleanish bulk, hopefully to put on some decent mass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Current all time PBs:
Squat: 120kg
Bench: 75kg
Deadlift: 175kg
OHP: 50kg

---------------------------------------------

2019 PBs etc.

Squats: 120kg
Deadlift:170kg
dB bench press: 36kg DBs

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Fridays session: here
Legs today, from blog: Tues 22nd Oct

-Mobility
-Squats:
WU: 10xBar, 4x40kg, 4x60kg
WS: 3x8x80kg - PB again
-Front Squats:
3x10x50kg
-BB-Calve Raise:
70kg: 20+30, 25+25, 20+30.
-RDL:
3x10x55kg

Felt shattered today, no idea why. Squats went okay, certainly on the limit of keeping form half decent now, which is annoying, may take the opportunity to up the reps somewhat.

Front squats I did with crossed arms, my wrist just can't handle the bent backwards thing.

BB-Calve raises were okay, still had the wrist issues, but better than last week.

RDL's felt good, no pain at the time. Currently got some general discomfort, but I think I need to attack my glute with a ball.

--------------------------------------------

From the blog: 23rd Oct

-Mobility
-DB Bench:
WU: 10x10's, 5x15's
WS: 3x10x20's
-Incline BB Bench:
50kg: 8, 8, 7 - Failed rep 8, one inch from the friggin catch
-Decline flyes:
3x10x12.5's
-CGBP:
40kg: 8, 6.
35kg: 8/9
30kg: 12
-Overhead tricep extension:
3x10x10kg
-Dips: legs elevated: 20kg plate on legs:
10, 14, 16.

Again, felt shoddy today, but the 20's went up again, I did attempt 25's (I couldn't safely put the 22.5's together as we only have loose weights on grip collars) and they just didn't go up.

Rep 8 on the incline bench was frustrating, I was literally one inch from locking, maybe next time. Either way, happy with the 50kg incline bench.

Overall it was decent, I just feel shattered this week. Tricep wise I felt weak for some reason, more so than usual.

Really feeling gash this week, theres a lot of bugs going around the school at the moment, so possibly that. Could just be needing a off week, been upping the weights on nearly all lifts past previous maxes, so I'm probably just tired.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Got some healthy chest doms today in all the right places. Shoulder is feeling relatively okay, just needs some loving I think to bring it back to health.

All in all, chest development is finally coming along, getting some nice shape to it now.

Training four days in a row this week without a break in the middle, end of the week is going to be bliss.

Man of Honour
Good lifting mate, I do find it odd however that while most of your lifts aren't anything special (I'm sure you won't take offence to that, mine aren't either), yet you're doing a decent amount of dips with a 20kg plate attached to you.

That's very decent lifting doing that, if I do triceps focused dips, I find it very hard to go above 10kg, if I tried 20kg, I'd struggle to get over 10, so fair play mate

PS - Not had your CV yet?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Good lifting mate, I do find it odd however that while most of your lifts aren't anything special (I'm sure you won't take offence to that, mine aren't either), yet you're doing a decent amount of dips with a 20kg plate attached to you.

That's very decent lifting doing that, if I do triceps focused dips, I find it very hard to go above 10kg, if I tried 20kg, I'd struggle to get over 10, so fair play mate

PS - Not had your CV yet?

No offense at all mate, I know I've slacked in the past for varying reasons, so I'm playing catch up mega time.

The dips are with my legs up on a bench, so they aren't full BW dips as I don't have a dipping station. And to be fair, the last few reps are probably cheated, but they get the job done. I was finding I'd be doing 20 reps without the extra plate on my lap which I presumed was a tad pointless? So figured I may as well, triceps are lacking somewhat anyway.

Resent the CV, check your junk folder :p

Caporegime
OP
Not updated the blog yet, so I'll add it here fresh and all that:

-Mobility:
-Planks supersetted with land mines + 5kg: -Planks: 1min 10s, 1min, 1min. Land mines +5kg: 14, 14, 14. (each side)
-Single arm OHP: 12.5kg: 10/10, 8+3/11, 9/10.
-Pallof press with band: 14, 14, 14.

Again, right arm/side SO much stronger than my left on the ohp. Annoys the hell out of me as the weight flys up in my right arm.

Caporegime
OP
Back and shoulders tonight:

Mobility

Deads:
-WU: 10x60kg, 3x80kg, 2x100kg
-WS: 110kg: 8, 7, 8. - Lost count on set 2.

BOR: 3x12x50kg

OHP: 3x12x25kg

Arnold Press: 10's: 10, 10, 9+4.

Had some insane lower back pump after my deadlifts....I almost stopped everything in fear of that I may have put my back out again. BOR's I wasn't so sure of either.

Ended up cutting out some exercises, really didn't feel amazing.

Watch this space for delvis being awol again :(

Caporegime
OP
@ice
It was a bit better this week, probably just needs time...?

@Syla5
When youve injured yourself like i have previously mate, you'd be a bit of the cautious side :) At the end of the day, i shouldnt be struggling to go from deadlifts to bor's really.

Shall see in the morning :p

Caporegime
OP
Back update:

Doesn't feel too bad today. No idea what happened yesterday, I'm presuming it was purely down to rep overload, as I'm used to doing 4 reps rather than 8 :o

Just a shame, as it put a downer on the rest of the workout. I'm off work all next week, so going to use the time to get some major pull up action in

Caporegime
OP
This.

Also, I'm pretty sure you've said previously you're conscious of poor form on OHP causing lower back pain; so why on Earth do you do OHP / DB OHP on the same day as Deads and BOR?

I agree, lower back pump isn't injury, but when it's hurting mate, it is to me.

I do BB OHP on back day as thats when I do shoulders due to me finishing work early and I can fit them in easier. I also remember you saying not to do random shoulder exercises elsewhere in the week ;)

Anyway, I'm aware of what I can lift without breaking form on the OHP, so I only do it if it's comfortable. The weight I lifted yesterday was comfortble to not extend my lower back :)

EDIT: To elaborate, the pump I was feeling was exactly the same type of thing I felt in February which is what put me out I believe. Hence the slight worry.

Soldato
Agree with the above in general, Pump != Injury. Ofcourse be cautious, but don't forget there's muscle mass around your lower back at the end of the day, It's there for a reason. It does sound like you could benefit from practising hip-hinges though, not sure if Icecold went through it with you when you've met.

Try this:
Take a breath in, and then exhale slightly, allowing the ribs to come down.

Now, while keeping the ribs down, take a fully breath into the belly. It may help to think about breathing into your back.

From here, brace your core and lower back for the best of both worlds.
And google hip hinge tony gentilcore. I can't remember the exact article now but he's done a couple good ones. The best cue I use for it is to imagine trying to pee (down into a toiler ;)) with a raging boner :p. Totally works.

EDIT: Sounds like you might be confusing 'pump' with pain/discomfort? I'm not advocating training through pain or even discomfort at all, pump is something else entirely however.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Agree with the above in general, Pump != Injury. Ofcourse be cautious, but don't forget there's muscle mass around your lower back at the end of the day, It's there for a reason. It does sound like you could benefit from practising hip-hinges though, not sure if Icecold went through it with you when you've met.

Try this:
And google hip hinge tony gentilcore. I can't remember the exact article now but he's done a couple good ones. The best cue I use for it is to imagine trying to pee (down into a toiler ;)) with a raging boner :p. Totally works.

EDIT: Sounds like you might be confusing 'pump' with pain/discomfort? I'm not advocating training through pain or even discomfort at all, pump is something else entirely however.

I class pump as my muscles being swelled with blood after a session for lack of a better description. It just felt extremely tight and full (oooooh :p)

But yeah read that article (was posted by Dom I think?) was an excellent read, I keep trying to make a mental note to do that on practically most of my lifts to keep my core tight.

In day to day situations (I've covered it before, but may as well here so I don't bore everyone in the ratz thread again :p) my back has it's issues, just feels like general discomfort. It's got better over the past few months, but somethings still niggling.

I'll upload my deadlift vid from yesterday anyway, and see what people think.

Back
Top Bottom