1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dental Phobia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Combat squirrel, 13 Jul 2006.

1. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Hey all, NOT a medical advice thread but more of a - never had a dental injection before for a filling. Everyones told me its fine, but im still abit nervous ! :(. Where abouts do they inject you ? I assume not in the bright pink area immediatly above or below the tooth, but the soft tissue above/below that? Are all the injections on the outer side of your teeth (the roof of your mouth and under the tounge seem to hard a tissue to inject into ? :confused: ) anyone whos had the dreaded injections before let me know ! lol

2. Sic

Capodecina

to be honest, i know they don't hurt, but it's kinda hard to remember exactly where they were in my mouth. if memory serves, in the gum, outside below the teeth (i had mine in the bottom row of teeth).

it doesn't hurt at all, but it feels well funny for the rest of the day after...makes you talk like a bit of a mong

3. TaKeN

Capodecina

Ask for some anesthetic gel on your gum before they put the needle in. You won't feel a thing :)

4. Borris

Caporegime

You might feel a small *****.

</.............>

5. Fantom

Wise Guy

I think your thinking about it to much, the pain is hardly pain its just a little twinge.

You need to take your mind of the fact that the dentist is actually sticking a needle into a specific part, if i were you i would try to think about something different when it actually happens ;)

6. McDaniel

Capodecina

Its in the harder area where the roots of the teeth would be i think, doesnt really hurt - you feel a sharp pinch that lasts all of a second, then the numbness begins, sorted.

You'll be fine.

I had a root canal done recently, that was a bit wierd :o

7. iCraig

PermaBanned

Aye, when I had it done I stopped sounding retarded after 6 hours or so.

However, looking retarded hasn't worn off yet. :(

8. TaKeN

Capodecina

I had a wisdom tooth pulled out yesterday. It had these weird L shaped roots and it felt like the dentist was trying to rip my face off :(

9. _dogma_

Wise Guy

I don't get injections to get fillings out. I have a fear of needles and refuse to get anything done when a needle is involved. Fillings aren't incredibly painfull without injections so if you're worried about getting the injection ask them not to use it like I do. It doesn't hurt as much as you would think.

10. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

It pinches for a second but then it's all over. It's really quite minor. Heck, most folks can endure a ton of pain just so long as its short lived.

Most of your worries will seem silly and unnecessary after the procedure's over.

11. Scott Salisbury

Wise Guy

Last time I had a filling, they injected me at the back of my gum. Run your tongue along the bottom row of teeth, where that row stops is where they injected me. It's fairly tough gum but it doesn't have very sensitive nerves there so you barely feel it.

Not to scare you though, but what you should be more worried about is the injections not actually working very well.

I had to have 5 injections because it wouldn't numb my mouth properly. At the finish I just told my dentist to get on with it and put up with the pain. My face was almost completely numb but I could still feel my gums and her drill, and it hurt :confused:

Last edited: 13 Jul 2006
  12. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Remember that no matter how numb they make your mouth you'll still be able to feel pressure. Pressure won't cause a pain sensation but it can feel a bit uncomfortable. Just relax a bit and recognize that it'll all be over soon.