Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Similar thoughts here.
It's just more entertaining to hit the refresh button and see what wild takes are being discussed.

Not sure why people are still bothering. Usually a discussion involves a bit of give and take to progress but both sides already have their mind made up and I'd bet my house on it that they'd never see it from the other point of view

Soldato
Dodgy in a lot of people's opinions, thus there will likely be an appeal. Pretty clear that the original prosecutor thought this would be a difficult case too.

Nope, I'm referring to them losing their jobs instantly at the whim of the Mayor, without due process.... that is separate to charges being brought. Do you not understand that?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/28/us-police-officers-fired-rehired-why

Yeah but what makes their opinions right any more than yours?

America has a massive problem with police unions being way too powerful and getting officers reinstated when they have no business being police. These cops were fired because everyone saw the videos. Videos that showed GF being killed and they did nothing to stop DC. They did nothing to try and save his life. I've got zero sympathy for any of them, they failed to protect GF life and they had no business being cops. They are no loss to the police force, so good riddance. Any police officer that acts in such a way should be fired and never hired as a police officer again.

Soldato
Soldato
That's because he was obviously as guilty as sin, even to the most abject white supremacist grovelers on here; but of course they can never admit that: there's always *some* excuse for racist police brutality in their fetid, poisonous view...

What they did wrong is not simply closing the door on him, the back of those cars is re-enforced.

Taking him out and putting him on the floor is a simple waste of time, and the reason he died was due to poor health and drugs in his system.

The fact he is black is completely irrelevant, yet it keeps being brought up, but it has nothing to do with racism, he is a criminal and a drug user. Force was used which is justified due to resisting, unlucky for him his heart could not handle it.

What is obvious is that he would be found guilty of course, but certainly his not guilty.

Another lie unfortunately, he said it while compressed on the floor, it's on video evidence.

You have not seen the video then, and claim something to be a lie, what a joke.

Man of Honour
The problem is that many of us disagree on the line that a post has to cross to be "racist".

Interpreting disagreement with the verdict as racism, for example.

To be frank, people are triggered by everything and anything these days. The moderation here is pretty balanced.
There is always theoretical scope to doubt any verdict but some of the comments along the lines of “it’s difficult to arrest a black person now” are a bit hysterical.

If the ‘training manual’ need to be rewritten so that nobody is now needlessly restraining anyone in an overkill manner for a gruelling amount of time that could foreseeably result in death, sounds like a good plan.

Separately, are people now inferring that GF claiming he couldn’t breathe before the restraint is materially helpful to the defence case? Arguably it makes it even worse :o

“Help I’m dying”
“DIIIEEE”

I’m being silly of course in making the point but you get what I mean.

Associate
Erm, nope. Even the prosecution in their case acknowledge that Floyd said "he couldn't breathe" long before being put on the floor.

So, check your facts.
He said it while compressed on the floor also which people in here denied. ITV played the same clip I had seen.

Also may I add I don't think you understand what defund the police requests means so please stop inferring it's to allow black people to loot,.it's not a nice look.

UTT

UTT

Associate
4 officers present against one man.
Derek didn’t need to use that method of and level of restraint for 9 minutes.
Whilst the suspect complained over 30 times they couldn’t breathe, only to be pretty much ignored.

Most of those 30 complaints about being unable to breath were while he was stood up or flailing around in the back of the squad car!

Derek didn’t give a flying **** good riddance.

Some of the reactions to this verdict are very telling.

Most of those 30 complaints about being unable to breath were while he was stood up or flailing around in the back of the squad car!

Sgarrista
Commissario
He said it while compressed on the floor also which people in here denied. ITV played the same clip I had seen.

Also may I add I don't think you understand what refund the police request means so please stop infrring it's to allow black people to loot.

Dont change what you said. You claimed it was a lie that he said it BEFORE he was on the floor. When in fact, he did. He also said it on the floor.

Caporegime
Separately, are people now inferring that GF claiming he couldn’t breathe before the restraint is materially helpful to the defence case? Arguably it makes it even worse :o

“Help I’m dying”
“DIIIEEE”

I’m being silly of course in making the point but you get what I mean.
If the manner of the restraint wasn't known to impede breathing then yes, absolutely, it is helpful to the defence.

It would mean he had a breathing impediment not related to the restraint. If that unrelated impediment could be the cause of his death, then of course that's helpful to the defence.

Let's not forget the context here. We're not talking about medical professionals tending to a patient in a hospital setting.

We're talking about cops dealing with a guy who is actively resisting arrest, and who has a previous criminal record, and is high on who knows what..

Associate
What they did wrong is not simply closing the door on him, the back of those cars is re-enforced.

Taking him out and putting him on the floor is a simple waste of time, and the reason he died was due to poor health and drugs in his system.

The fact he is black is completely irrelevant, yet it keeps being brought up, but it has nothing to do with racism, he is a criminal and a drug user. Force was used which is justified due to resisting, unlucky for him his heart could not handle it.

What is obvious is that he would be found guilty of course, but certainly his not guilty.

You have not seen the video then, and claim something to be a lie, what a joke.
ITV at 10pm played a video showing fg on the floor kneeled on saying he cannot breath, posters in this thread inferred that never happened and it was only in the car.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah but what makes their opinions right any more than yours?

America has a massive problem with police unions being way too powerful and getting officers reinstated when they have no business being police. These cops were fired because everyone saw the videos. Videos that showed GF being killed and they did nothing to stop DC. They did nothing to try and save his life. I've got zero sympathy for any of them, they failed to protect GF life and they had no business being cops. They are no loss to the police force, so good riddance. Any police officer that acts in such a way should be fired and never hired as a police officer again.

It isn't an opinion, they were fired pretty much instantly.

As for "did nothing to save his life", Lane performed CPR on him and directly questioned Chauvin's actions.

Two of the cops were rookies, Chuavin was mentoring them. How can you conclude that they did nothing to save his life when they called for an Ambulance, escalated that call, challenged Chuavin's actions and one of them performed CPR.

Soldato
Not all 'Brexiteers' are racist but most racists are 'Brexiteers'!

The first comment nails it tbh:

4UCcdg8.png

None of those points are specifically racist though. Unless you are suggesting they are lies, as far as I can make out they are based on some level of fact.

The fact that politicians (the President!) were calling for specific outcomes before the end of the trial is pretty remarkable in itself.

Caporegime

Also may I add I don't think you understand what defund the police requests means so please stop inferring it's to allow black people to loot,.it's not a nice look.
Lolwut? I haven't even mentioned looting in any of my posts.

You have a strained relationship with facts, I can see that.

Caporegime
Excellent verdict and the correct decision.

Thank god these racist jumped up rent a cops in America are finally being held accountable. Hopefully this paves the way for more punishments to be handed out for these supposedly “bad” apples in the American police force.

Associate
Dont change what you said. You claimed it was a lie that he said it BEFORE he was on the floor. When in fact, he did. He also said it on the floor.
Not at all, people in this thread were continually lead to believe gf never said he could not breath while under compression.

That is unfortunate.

Soldato
Not all 'Brexiteers' are racist but most racists are 'Brexiteers'!

The first comment nails it tbh:

'Check out our new side project @TheFoxholeNews'

They are using their channel to promote their news site

They comment on a wide range of current affairs matters

The Foxhole (@thefoxholenews) / Twitter

Here's the same Leave.EU page retweeting another Foxhole news story earlier today not connected to GF or US/ UK racial politics.

Your spam posting remains as stupid as its always been

Associate
I agree it needs to happen, but it’s almost too toxic now. Anytime a white officer shoots a black person, even under genuine circumstances, or heaven forbid by mistake, it’s a whole world of pain. And you can’t legislate or reform these things. It’s just human interaction. Something needs to happen to ‘tone’ down the rhetoric though. And politicians on both sides are frankly doing the complete opposite.

Absolutely not true, things can be done about it right now and there are teams of people dedicated to researching this issue to make proper suggestions (not just random internet posters).

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1180655701271732224?s=21

this is an older thread but still worth reading. I’ll copy and paste some of it below.

1. Lesson 1. Everything you’ve probably heard is a lie. Specifically, the most discussed “solutions” to police violence have no evidence of effectiveness. For example, Body cams don’t reduce police violence:
  2. There is no evidence that better police training programs or “implicit bias” training changes police behavior. The trainings vary in quality and rarely result in any accountability/changes in decision-making. Don’t put this at the top of your agenda. Next, what works...
  3. More restrictive state and local policies governing police use of force are associated with significantly lower rates of police shootings/killings by police. This is backed by 30+ years of research. We identified specific policies that work here:
  4. Demilitarization. Police depts that get more military weapons from the federal govt kill more people. You can stop that from happening through local and state policy. Montana (Red state) has gone the furthest on this. Your state can and should follow.
  5. Police Union Contracts. Every 4-6 years your police dept’s accountability system is re-negotiated. Purging misconduct records, reinstating fired officers, dept funding- it’s in the contract. Cities with worse contracts have higher police violence rates.
  6. Predictive policing on the police. Yes, use the technology against them. Data on use of force, complaints & lawsuits can be used to identify officers who most likely to shoot someone next and prevent it from happening. Use the methodology to save lives.
  7. Invest in alternatives to police as crime prevention strategies. Every 10 additional organizations in a city: Reduces the murder rate by 9%, Reduces violent crime rate by 6%, Reduces property crime rate by 4%
  8. Establish non-police alternatives to 911 calls involving people with mental illness. For example, 1 in 5 of the 911 calls in Eugene, OR are diverted to mental health first responders instead of police to respond. A success being scaled in Portland.
  9. Resource the Department of Justice (after the current president is voted out) to initiate more investigations of police departments. Departments that receive federal intervention have 25-30% fewer police shootings than those that do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom