1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dowie, 8 Mar 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.R.A.Z.Y

Soldato

Not all 'Brexiteers' are racist but most racists are 'Brexiteers'!

The first comment nails it tbh:

[​IMG]

2. FoxEye

Caporegime

If the manner of the restraint wasn't known to impede breathing then yes, absolutely, it is helpful to the defence.

It would mean he had a breathing impediment not related to the restraint. If that unrelated impediment could be the cause of his death, then of course that's helpful to the defence.

Let's not forget the context here. We're not talking about medical professionals tending to a patient in a hospital setting.

We're talking about cops dealing with a guy who is actively resisting arrest, and who has a previous criminal record, and is high on who knows what..

3. pallys

Wise Guy

ITV at 10pm played a video showing fg on the floor kneeled on saying he cannot breath, posters in this thread inferred that never happened and it was only in the car.

4. dowie

Capo Crimine

It isn't an opinion, they were fired pretty much instantly.

As for "did nothing to save his life", Lane performed CPR on him and directly questioned Chauvin's actions.

Two of the cops were rookies, Chuavin was mentoring them. How can you conclude that they did nothing to save his life when they called for an Ambulance, escalated that call, challenged Chuavin's actions and one of them performed CPR.

5. rare

Sgarrista

None of those points are specifically racist though. Unless you are suggesting they are lies, as far as I can make out they are based on some level of fact.

The fact that politicians (the President!) were calling for specific outcomes before the end of the trial is pretty remarkable in itself.

6. FoxEye

Caporegime

Lolwut? I haven't even mentioned looting in any of my posts.

You have a strained relationship with facts, I can see that.

7. Yas786

Caporegime

Excellent verdict and the correct decision.

Thank god these racist jumped up rent a cops in America are finally being held accountable. Hopefully this paves the way for more punishments to be handed out for these supposedly “bad” apples in the American police force.

8. dowie

Capo Crimine

What does that have to do with racism?

9. pallys

Wise Guy

Not at all, people in this thread were continually lead to believe gf never said he could not breath while under compression.

That is unfortunate.

10. Caracus2k

Soldato

'Check out our new side project @TheFoxholeNews'

They are using their channel to promote their news site

They comment on a wide range of current affairs matters

The Foxhole (@thefoxholenews) / Twitter

Here's the same Leave.EU page retweeting another Foxhole news story earlier today not connected to GF or US/ UK racial politics.

Your spam posting remains as stupid as its always been

11. chef-borjan

Wise Guy

Absolutely not true, things can be done about it right now and there are teams of people dedicated to researching this issue to make proper suggestions (not just random internet posters).

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1180655701271732224?s=21

this is an older thread but still worth reading. I’ll copy and paste some of it below.

1. Lesson 1. Everything you’ve probably heard is a lie. Specifically, the most discussed “solutions” to police violence have no evidence of effectiveness. For example, Body cams don’t reduce police violence:
    2. There is no evidence that better police training programs or “implicit bias” training changes police behavior. The trainings vary in quality and rarely result in any accountability/changes in decision-making. Don’t put this at the top of your agenda. Next, what works...
    3. More restrictive state and local policies governing police use of force are associated with significantly lower rates of police shootings/killings by police. This is backed by 30+ years of research. We identified specific policies that work here:
    4. Demilitarization. Police depts that get more military weapons from the federal govt kill more people. You can stop that from happening through local and state policy. Montana (Red state) has gone the furthest on this. Your state can and should follow.
    5. Police Union Contracts. Every 4-6 years your police dept’s accountability system is re-negotiated. Purging misconduct records, reinstating fired officers, dept funding- it’s in the contract. Cities with worse contracts have higher police violence rates.
    6. Predictive policing on the police. Yes, use the technology against them. Data on use of force, complaints & lawsuits can be used to identify officers who most likely to shoot someone next and prevent it from happening. Use the methodology to save lives.
    7. Invest in alternatives to police as crime prevention strategies. Every 10 additional organizations in a city: Reduces the murder rate by 9%, Reduces violent crime rate by 6%, Reduces property crime rate by 4%
    8. Establish non-police alternatives to 911 calls involving people with mental illness. For example, 1 in 5 of the 911 calls in Eugene, OR are diverted to mental health first responders instead of police to respond. A success being scaled in Portland.
    9. Resource the Department of Justice (after the current president is voted out) to initiate more investigations of police departments. Departments that receive federal intervention have 25-30% fewer police shootings than those that do not.

12. pallys

Wise Guy

We are talking about a cop dealing with a guy who is in a vegetables state and continue nto compress him.

I believe that is why the jury voted how they did, plus some key statements from experts showing classic gf body movements to a trained eye of how the human body was fighting for air.

13. rare

Sgarrista

I’m not saying Police reform isn’t possible - I’m just suggesting that the rhetoric has been whipped up to such an extent that the entire atmosphere is toxic. It’s like a powder keg. And it’s made worse by politicians on both sides are seen to be making it worse not toning it down. That it’s so bad that even if genuine police reforms take place, I’m not certain it will make much difference to the perspective of a lot of people.

14. Resident

Mobster

This is OC not an airport lounge. There's no need to annouce departures.

15. uber soldat

Mobster

To the trained eye of a doctor yes, the guy was a cop trying to restrain a violent career criminal who was not cooperating and resisting arrest, slight difference.

16. Malevolence

Capodecina

But they won't get the attention if they don't announce the flounce.

17. pallys

Wise Guy

I said you inferred it with your sarky comments around defund the police.

18. chef-borjan

Wise Guy

The key actions addressed above would absolutely be received well by the country as a whole, especially if/when the associated outcomes match the expected reductions.

19. shadow_boxer

Sgarrista

Absolutely. As an outsider it appears the jury reached the correct decision.

20. Caracus2k

Soldato

I agree that unions should be restricted from leveraging the people that pay their members wages in these sort of ways.

Any chance the usual suspects will show consistency and agree to it across the board though, at least for all public employees and their unions , and not just the ones they want to defund?

21. pallys

Wise Guy

You see this is where I think the jury sees it differently. A vegetable body is not someone who is resisting, by making a choice to continue to compress a dead corpse makes it murder.

Why didn't chauvin just listen to the younger copper to put him in recovery instead of refusal? Only he will know why he said no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.