Design a day (56k unfriendly)

Soldato
Ok been toying with this idea for a while, basically I plan to post a design everyday or however often I can knock one out, all comments etc. are very much welcome.

If anyone wants to add their own pieces then feel free, hopefully this will generate some more interest in this area of the forum :) Ok here are the first two to get things rolling:

designone.jpg

kiss.jpg

Soldato
Nice work. :)

Any particular theme to the design a day thing? Might have a go, sounds like a good way to do some more work.

Prefer the second one of the two designs as I there is a bit too much negative space on the first one in my opinon.

Boz

Boz

Associate
ooo, finally got things rolling eh? :)

hmm, i think im gonna have to go with the 2nd one as well - the colours work better and wave/smoke thing doesnt really go with the first design.

ive got exams for the next week so i wont be able to do anything but this is the last thing i did before going into revision mode :p

retro.jpg

Soldato
Thought I might show you guys some of my current work then. :)

The first is one of many photogram experiments with typography. It's not the best one but it's the only one I have scanned in on my PC. They look much better as a set.

300ac7fdb79d8ae702245d2b2a0ff244-f.jpg

I am also working on a calendar thing for my art course. Not going to get it finished though and it's mostly rushed so I don't really like much of what I have done. Here is one month from it, I think the compostion needs more work but I am unsure what to change, any suggestions would be great.

0f697e7b26efe76fd49497a37080d67b-f.jpg

Nice work Boz, a bit of type would look nice in the white space.

Associate
Boz, it's probably been said before but how do you create that cool looking texture you have on most of your work. Kind of hard to describe it :(

Last edited:

Boz

Boz

Associate
ooo intersting stuff there uni

as for the layout - im not too fond of the numbering for the months. it looks odd.

maybe space em out, so there is an equal number of characters per line and have the month name in a size that is as wide as the line of numbers? but i aint too good with typography.

kinneh - the texture thing is something ive been perfecting over the past few months. basically that image in photoshop is about 30 layers - about 10 are the background. its all a mixture of faded in things - like the sky image u can see in the lower half of it - an actual stock texture photo (the dark parts) and over the top i over a bitmap pattern of the stock photo.

to get that all u need to do is convert it to grayscale in photoshop and then set colour mode to bitmap and select the desired settings.

what i have done there involves a number of these bitmap patterns faded/burned and dodged into each other.

at some point i may do a tutorial on it but im a lousy teacher :(

hope that helps

Associate
Ok , this is nothing compared to the other stuff on here, but hey, i'm making you look good :)

Well over the last couple of hours i've been playing about with PS to join in the daily thread

daily.jpg

Soldato
OP
ahahaha, I started out attempting a really complicated 2d piece, then turned out a complete rip-off of Boz's work and a terribly square composition. Oh well, sorry mate :p

morbidbliss.jpg

Soldato
this stuff is superb!
im just experimenting now see if i can make a decent first real try at photoshoppry for the forums

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom