Desktop Mic

Associate
Hey all, hopefully this is the best area but I guess it could also be peripherals. I'm after a decent desktop mic that doesn't break the bank.

Been making do on the many video calls with what I already had, which was a basic headset for work or the desktop controller of a Xonar Phoebus sound card when there are two of us on the call.

Thing is the Xonar mic doesn't seem great and we're constantly being told people can't hear us or that something is wrong. I think it's maybe designed to be used in tandem with an actual mic to filter background noise? Rather than a stand alone mic.

I know prices and stock levels are all a bit up in the air at the moment which is why I've been holding off but I think the time has come to do something about it. Ideally I'm looking for something that we can both use without shouting while also using desktop speakers for sound. So wide enough to pick up both people in the room but maybe directional to avoid the speakers behind. Is that asking too much?

Soldato
I use a Blue Yeti (well I have 2), it's an older mic but still very good. It gives a very clean professional signal.

I use desktop speakers myself, and no problems with this mic picking up. Echo cancellation works fine in Zoom, Skype and Discord.

Blue make some cheaper makes such as the Nano and the Ice, they are still good however in back to back tests the older Yeti is better.

Another advantage of choosing a popular mike such as this, is when Zoom / Skype etc develop / test their software, they test against mics such as a Blue Yeti.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the response, good point about the popular manufacturers. I remember seeing Blue become quite popular on here a few years ago but never knew anyone that actually had one to hear for myself.

Echo cancellation works fine in Zoom, Skype and Discord.

When you say echo cancellation do you mean some software from Blue that came with the mic? Haven't seen it in any of the video platforms you mentioned but I also haven't looked.

Soldato
Thanks for the response, good point about the popular manufacturers. I remember seeing Blue become quite popular on here a few years ago but never knew anyone that actually had one to hear for myself.

When you say echo cancellation do you mean some software from Blue that came with the mic? Haven't seen it in any of the video platforms you mentioned but I also haven't looked.

I'm referring to the echo cancellation that's inside the Zoom, Skype software. What I should have written is the echo cancellation that's inside the software (Zoom etc) works well with this mic.

Associate
OP
I'm referring to the echo cancellation that's inside the Zoom, Skype software. What I should have written is the echo cancellation that's inside the software (Zoom etc) works well with this mic.

Ah got it. Cheers I'll take a look around today and see what I can find. I'm guessing stock might be low at the moment especially if the older model is seen as the better option.

Back
Top Bottom