Desktop speakers with some punch

Associate
I've been using a Logitech Z506 5.1 speaker system connected to the pc for some years now, but the more I'm listening to music the more I realise that they aren't what I need anymore.

The problem is that although the sub can chuck out some serious low frequency rumble I'd prefer something that can deliver a proper punch to the abdomen and the little diddy speakers just don't have the bass kick I want.

My music tastes are predominantly drum & bass, industrial techno, etc, so what recommendations are there for decent speakers under £100?

Associate
If you can stretch the budget a little more (say £45), I'd definitely recommend the PreSonus Eris E4.5 4.5-inch, 2-way, High-Definition Active Studio Monitors (Pair),Black. These give out some serious punch for such a small driver and don't need an amp as it's built in.

Soldato
There’s quite a difference between £100 or under and £150 :D

Does anyone have the iLoud micro monitors? I’m tempted by them as they are small but supposed to kick out quite a big sound - 50W RMS down to 55hz.
Seen a number of good reviews

Associate
OP
Close to £100 I think these will be best best you can get

HiVi Swans D1010-IVB

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10000001063647.html

M Audio AV42 are also well regarded

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/M-Audio-AV42-Active-Desktop-Monitor-Speakers-Pair
The Swans look like they have a £56.65 delivery charge - are they delievered from Mars! :eek:
A friend had some M-Audio speakers in his home studio setup some years ago and seemed quite good.

If you can stretch the budget a little more (say £45), I'd definitely recommend the PreSonus Eris E4.5 4.5-inch, 2-way, High-Definition Active Studio Monitors (Pair),Black. These give out some serious punch for such a small driver and don't need an amp as it's built in.
Upping the budget isn't fair!! :p

I take it these all speakers with phono connectors just need a single 3.5mm jack to 2 x male RCA cable?

Soldato
The Swans look like they have a £56.65 delivery charge - are they delievered from Mars! :eek:
A friend had some M-Audio speakers in his home studio setup some years ago and seemed quite good.

Upping the budget isn't fair!! :p

I take it these all speakers with phono connectors just need a single 3.5mm jack to 2 x male RCA cable?
Depends what you are connecting to. If it’s 3.5mm female then yes. I have RCA on my soundcard but many will be 3.5mm i expect. £56 delivery, oh yeh it is aliexpress

Edit. Problem solved. £84.12 delivered

Presonus Eris E3.5

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/presonus-eris-e3-5-active-media-reference/666506-01/

Last edited:
Soldato
Speakers with 4" woofers can only do so much. Certainly can't compete with a subwoofer when it comes to bass quantity. You'd need much larger speakers to get the kind of bass you'd get from a subwoofer. Of course, such speakers are going to cost a lot more...

If you've listened to M-Audio speakers before, then you have an idea of what to expect from that size of speaker. Quite a few people who have only ever had 2.1 speaker, sometimes rather optimistically expect that kind of bass from something much smaller. :p

Edifier R1280T, R1600T and similar models are good speakers for around £100.

Presonus Eris (mentioned above) are very good.

Associate
OP
Speakers with 4" woofers can only do so much. Certainly can't compete with a subwoofer when it comes to bass quantity. You'd need much larger speakers to get the kind of bass you'd get from a subwoofer. Of course, such speakers are going to cost a lot more...

If you've listened to M-Audio speakers before, then you have an idea of what to expect from that size of speaker. Quite a few people who have only ever had 2.1 speaker, sometimes rather optimistically expect that kind of bass from something much smaller. :p

I used to run a pair of Cerwin-Vega LS bookshelf speakers in conjunction with some AT-40s through a Kenwood KA-5020 amp - sweet Jesus, the low frequency response from tracks by LFO and Unique 3 was incredible, I miss those days....

Depends what you are connecting to. If it’s 3.5mm female then yes. I have RCA on my soundcard but many will be 3.5mm i expect. £56 delivery, oh yeh it is aliexpress

Edit. Problem solved. £84.12 delivered

Presonus Eris E3.5

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/presonus-eris-e3-5-active-media-reference/666506-01/
Ooooh, that looks tempting, I'll keep that in mind ;)

Soldato

Quite. Big speakers needed to push big air to create big sound...not always.

Headphone sound sounds huge and do not require 8” drivers.

Yes, 3” or 4” drivers won’t fill a huge room with sound but will be fine for smaller rooms where floorstandings speakers or a giant sub is not possible (or wanted)

The first time I listened to a Bose wave radio at my aunties house in the late 90s I was blown away by how ‘big’ it sounded in her kitchen.

I certainly wouldnt have been a houseparty speaker like some B&W and Cerein Vega floorstanders I had heard but was perfect for a small/medium sized kitchen with a capacity of ~10 people.

Some iLoud micro monitors arrive today to go under my monitor ( :p:rolleyes: ) I’ll report back as they look tiny.
Unfortunately I can’t fit floorstanding speakers on my desk

Soldato
My desktop speaker history, and notes for each speaker.

1) Edifier R1600T - They were good for £50, probably the best £50 setup you could have, lacked low end frequencies below around 50Hz, tweeters a little harsh.

2) Edifier s530 2.1 - The satellite speakers were to small, mid range washed out. Cost me below £80 in an OCUK clearance, not good for music due to poor mid range

3) Edifier S530 sub (as above) with Yamaha NX-E300 speakers - Better quality tweeters and less vibration in cabinet then Edifiers. Mid range restored. Cost £80 for the S530 + £50 for New Old Stock Yamaha's - this was a pretty good setup if i'm honest, most would be happy with this.

4) Prodide Pro 5 v3 2.0 - Better quality amp then Edifiers, good construction, better speakers then all of above. Can be picked up new today for £86 per speaker.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been using the iLoud micro monitors for a few days now. They sound fantastic, especially for the size.
Certainly sound like much larger speakers although don’t sound like full floorstanders, more like an average size bookshelf / monitor.
Ideally they need raising to ear level instead of being at desk height but I cant do this unfortunately. Maybe i’ll think up a way of wall mounting them / building a shelf for them to go on. Will get a pic later

Soldato
Ideally they need raising to ear level instead of being at desk height but I cant do this unfortunately.

The most important thing for speakers is set-up and placement, also isolation foam is so important. A budget speaker setup correct will always outperform a more expensive speaker with poor setup.

Soldato
The most important thing for speakers is set-up and placement, also isolation foam is so important. A budget speaker setup correct will always outperform a more expensive speaker with poor setup.
I’ve moved stuff around and have them on makeshift stands (for now) They do sound so much better now they are nearer ear level

Had them on bean tins before. Now improved a bit more without spending £70 on proper mic stands

Before
Eixk5ke.jpg.png

Now
U3JsVWU.jpg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom