Devon vs Cornwall

Associate
Love both, but Cornwall just shades it for me. My favourite holiday of recent years was September 2018, where I spent a few nights in Falmouth, before a week in Perranporth.

Falmouth had more life, with pubs, shops etc. Gylly and Swanpool beaches are lovely, and much more geared towards SUP or Sea Kayaking than the North Coast. Perranporth has a fantastic beach, especially with the tide out, and also has a pub on the beach. I'd liken it to a nicer, quieter cousin of Newquay; still has the surf and a bit of the vibe, but without the Stag/Hen dos.

I also love St Agnes and PorthTowan, again lovely beaches, but again they are very quiet.

Soldato
Perranporth Aggie and Porthtowan are, horrendously overcrowded in peak season but great out of the kids holidays ,had a seasonal pitch in Agggie for some decades and in the main holls it was a 10am parking cut off at Chapel Porth ,perranporth was always busy ,mayhem in holls but one advantage is a very big beach ,you can always find a place with no one near ,just stay away from town end and centre where the haven camp steps are
Newquay is awesome out of season and its rare i miss a week ,was at Fistral yesterday and Perranporth today

Screenshot-20200628-184642-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Have a google for walks etc. there should be plenty of info about, including on the 'visit x county' websites.

True, Cornwall tends to be a bit prettier though.

As for Eden, yes, it's pretty cool and a good bit of walking but does get very busy.

Just weighing in on the general consensus that Cornwall is more scenic. Yes, the Cornish coast is probably prettier, but inland, for me, Devon beats Cornwall hands down. Dartmoor and the surrounding area is just so much lusher, prettier and varied than inland Cornwall, which is just a bit bleak really. But yes, I know the OP wanted the sea, and I'm just a bit weird because I prefer hills, fields and trees to the seaside. Everyone here in the midlands moans about being far from the coast but it doesn't bother me really!

Soldato
Just weighing in on the general consensus that Cornwall is more scenic. Yes, the Cornish coast is probably prettier, but inland, for me, Devon beats Cornwall hands down. Dartmoor and the surrounding area is just so much lusher, prettier and varied than inland Cornwall, which is just a bit bleak really. But yes, I know the OP wanted the sea, and I'm just a bit weird because I prefer hills, fields and trees to the seaside. Everyone here in the midlands moans about being far from the coast but it doesn't bother me really!
well i am just going to have to put up with this bleakness ,maybe i can join the Miltton keynes thread and dream ;) I spent a month walking the length of spain after crossing the Pyrenees last year and still found myself missing my home ,surrounded by woods unspoilt rivers Rough tor ,brown willy ,on my local river walk i have only seen about 5 other people in 5 years .

Screenshot-20200629-053353-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot-20200629-060950-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Dartmoor is certainly better than Bodmin but it's many times bigger and in terms of 'inland' stuff, there isn't really a great deal to do in either county really aside from the moors so if inland is preference then yes, Dartmoor/Devon would be a better shout. Devon has a lot more inland than Cornwall too of course anyway which makes it much less of a coastal destination anyway.

Some random Devon pics of mine:
y4mjBWnmxVuSZW64AO6821qFTulrCCKd9u3exEnvNkMBz4avfP926yT2_xxVsMmncedbTduqG99T41gndQ0LGM5pGkDkADt18Rgi_qTvt6Cvdkj6LoGl9mIX7kHn2u0Kbr42blizt2wy62IjZN3l46qJ76a50gpVM-AHH4P5nKlgopNQtcqYFCwPnwMhSs1gQJXYc7U2c_zCo2gV4zJIwBGJQ

y4mZZT3LskVVXWKdh93vjohQrLXR2Ebi14r0HpLhaWT-teshY0G4834kIMg2d-eyIeCXQHjIcCSfRe6XtfcoOMMZztGtGYGSgdFE1MqIBCglAcuZkXhIc8nbefsUZjWiW_CxIVj4uunYsBwzrkpJUmPvrtSsnQcccEORNzAFVJIOYoa_w--bfe3987QFdZLjCJtfLvzoMfVDNgB7-nYQZCr1A

y4mLr70nWBIkOspaKh_dnS5rHAiNL0GxYoUo2N14Q7OwdUPf9ik5_n64XEa0jNznt5IoFUD_k4cHdgtlNU84cGB_WSHd9_gtT1tMGKXEhIJsg-rkFUQR1Vl7qx5MSJUf4_OmzEDcihKU4DVK8ygEEsJjzW3-Hu7ObOZZEluLpVCRoNJhB7wABUQGakLRaLBkymOsRK71vYtRVwoZ3ysedK0Gg

y4m_Zb7RnS9739NNesU9c2I8qbc4uWDgdDcXj_gPWPvHWC6sVncblPncoEuXN5pFIO1QvMn23dA7NM4qM1qtaTEEQAvnyNMoHqWxrg5o6S4UdZeJKKYWztGi90ZzTs293WvkF7K1TUfd1X0QrJXN1_IYIa6gvC84BoVfmWUX7QSmpE6Rgb03h_mTIooaONme_3wJFkfQL5ZUh2iXcq3tIarEg

y4m2V6r9ea5pgWqORnuf18vdEzlc7kb6OpJ9XE2IpKIJiLcR8bx9SO8amZtnGS7uO_QSyF9Jf1CdCZz2WuGcUxQb_v7FFwj2uyPasVVorYFD0fXTMTZ1A6u5GGtdMzEZ3owHGo3DTi56BwaKyJPANFvO0D8x5BYscmVDrKvxlCODQeT20BXp2RDG_Hq4EGgphgcaxec99wOcQ2SP0dFKnqn6g

Soldato
Beaconside House, just down the road.

Ah yeah that's on the way out towards Torrington - the common there would be good for the dog. The town itself is garbage.

If you've got a dog then the Pier House in Westward Ho is popular. Dog friendly, nice food and the owner's a bit of a local celeb, hilarious guy as well. Nice views on the terrace out to sea. While there you MUST have a Hockings ice cream, vanilla too, not the flavoured van near the slipway to the beach. It's the best ice cream in the world imo, managed to haul a 4 litre tub back with me last weekend :D it's on the bend near to the Waterfront Inn (also a good place for food and dog friendly, run by the same guy)

Hartland is popular with tourists and a nice little village. There's a nice pub nearby on the A39 called the Westcountry Inn, used to play pool there a lot as it was quiet due to the location but their food is superb.

Not a lot to do in Bideford itself. The town's died since Lidl/Aldi/Mcdonalds opened out of town near the shopping outlet, it's all banks, bookies and charity shops.

Appledore is also a nice place, highly recommend the Beaver Inn down Irsha St - my brother in law is the manager there, their food's amazing. If you like seafood then you'd struggle to get any fresher. You'd need to book ahead due to the current conditions.

Last edited:
Associate
This thread reminded me of the two times I've been to Newquay - about 20 and 10 years ago. Had a great time both times and would love to go back at some point, but not sure I can maintain the same kind of pace these days and all my mates are married now. Not the sort of break that the OP is looking for, but had some great nights out and the birds were fit as!

Soldato
Anyone have any idea if Newquay's stupidly busy? Off there next Friday, wonder if people have flocked there or stayed home :p
very very busy for sure , before 10 am to drive to a beach or arrive without gridlocked traffic ,personally i think Newquay is awesome
would recommend the fern pit cafe ,ignore my phone gps its on the millionaires row known as riverside crescent

Screenshot-20200807-193830-com-android-gallery3d-1.jpg

Soldato
very very busy for sure , before 10 am to drive to a beach or arrive without gridlocked traffic ,personally i think Newquay is awesome
would recommend the fern pit cafe ,ignore my phone gps its on the millionaires row known as riverside crescent

Screenshot-20200807-193830-com-android-gallery3d-1.jpg

Might have a wander down Fistral one day, planning to do plenty around the county and now just in the town :)

Soldato
I've been tasked with arranging a holiday for 15 members of my family (9 adults, 6 children) for half term in May 2022. The family want to stay in St Ives but its looking eye wateringly expensive.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative in Cornwall that ticks same sort of boxes?

Back
Top Bottom