Devon vs Cornwall

Soldato
I've been tasked with arranging a holiday for 15 members of my family (9 adults, 6 children) for half term in May 2022. The family want to stay in St Ives but its looking eye wateringly expensive.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative in Cornwall that ticks same sort of boxes?
Accommodation in Carbis Bay should* be cheaper than staying directly in St Ives.

It’s only a 30-min walk into St Ives or there’s a little train, so it’s not like you’d need to worry about the faff or cost of parking.

*no guarantee unfortunately, especially during a school holiday.

What drew you to St Ives? The art? The beaches? The shops/restaurants?

You can get all of the above elsewhere in Cornwall but not necessarily all in one place, which is something St Ives does well.

Soldato
It's more that's where we all as a family would stay as kids. We're wanting to do something nice for our elderly mum who wishes we could all go back to stay.

Soldato
I like parking over at the Bowgie
Ahhhh!! Wow that brings back some memories... Used to go down there as a teeneager in the 90s to see local cover bands (remember a lot of pearl jam/ chili peppers being played) followed by much fun down on the beach after into the night.... Happy times!

Re the actual thread though.. both places are awesome but the devonions have definitely got the cream teas right. And pasties are devonion too would you believe!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm staying near Bideford and Westward Ho! (Great name) in early September

Any suggestions about where to go? We'll have our lab with us and have 5 nights there.

The Royal George in Appledore is a lovely place for dinner if you can get a table. The Commodore in Instow also does excellent food and the beach is always good for a walk. If you don't mind venturing on a bit, Woolsfardisworthy has a lovely pub called the Farmers Arms - the entire village almost was recently bought out by the guy who founded Bebo and he has spent a fortune on the place. It's also about 5-10 mins drive from Clovelly, which is a lovely little place to visit and wonder around if you're making a day of it.

Going in the opposite direction, you've got Saunton Sands, which again is a lovely beach (and much quieter than Croyde!) and the Saunton Sands Hotel is a nice place to drop in for a cream tea. Ilfracombe is quite nice, if a bit dilapidated these days. If you're not too bothered by heights, the Valley of Rocks is just on the edge of Exmoor and conveniently close to Lynton and Lynmouth which is a lovely place to go for an ice cream and a wonder about the town.

Soldato
The Royal George in Appledore is a lovely place for dinner if you can get a table. The Commodore in Instow also does excellent food and the beach is always good for a walk. If you don't mind venturing on a bit, Woolsfardisworthy has a lovely pub called the Farmers Arms - the entire village almost was recently bought out by the guy who founded Bebo and he has spent a fortune on the place. It's also about 5-10 mins drive from Clovelly, which is a lovely little place to visit and wonder around if you're making a day of it.

Going in the opposite direction, you've got Saunton Sands, which again is a lovely beach (and much quieter than Croyde!) and the Saunton Sands Hotel is a nice place to drop in for a cream tea. Ilfracombe is quite nice, if a bit dilapidated these days. If you're not too bothered by heights, the Valley of Rocks is just on the edge of Exmoor and conveniently close to Lynton and Lynmouth which is a lovely place to go for an ice cream and a wonder about the town.

The Farmers was apparently miles better before that Bebo bloke bought it. A friend of mine lives in Woolsery and he was telling me last week how awful it's got! I wouldn't be going to Ilfracombe unless you need a hit of heroin, plenty to find there :p

Permabanned
The Farmers was apparently miles better before that Bebo bloke bought it. A friend of mine lives in Woolsery and he was telling me last week how awful it's got! I wouldn't be going to Ilfracombe unless you need a hit of heroin, plenty to find there :p

Ahh, I never went before it was taken over as it's too far to go when you're a big drinker in sleepy little Instow. :p

Soldato
Just remember that the train don't stop at Camborne on Wednesdays!!
oh shush
They do. You just don't want them to.
it's Perranwell that's the request stop.

Eden's nice, lost gardens of Heligan too close by which is better imo.

I hear that devon lot, along with not knowing what way round they should be doing their cream teas, eat lost tourists.

Just don't bring a big car. You will get stuck.

Associate
The mist is finally rolling in off the English channel as I sit on the patio overlooking the Dawlish coast with the twinkling lights Queen Mary 2 cruise ship docked a few miles to the West.

Took a chance on a late South Devon holiday and it paid off big time. 4 days of glorious sunshine, 22-23 midday sun, hot enough to swim in the sea which I did these last 4 days off Dawlish and Dawlish Warren beaches. Picked up a tan in the UK in mid-late September with beaches and climate more resembling what you'd expect Southern Europe for this time of year.

Colder day tomorrow then full on Autumn by Thursday. Grabbing the last gasp of Summer in what has been a hell of year for many.

Well worth taking a chance on South Devon in mid to late September, paid off for me many times these past few years, amazing beaches and great walks.

Soldato
I've been tasked with arranging a holiday for 15 members of my family (9 adults, 6 children) for half term in May 2022. The family want to stay in St Ives but its looking eye wateringly expensive.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative in Cornwall that ticks same sort of boxes?

What's your budget for the week?

Lots of big houses near Polzeath and Rock, all are expensive that time of year though I'm afraid.

We tend to go out of season due to the cost, we are heading down Friday.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The mist is finally rolling in off the English channel as I sit on the patio overlooking the Dawlish coast with the twinkling lights Queen Mary 2 cruise ship docked a few miles to the West.

Can you also see the other three cruise ships milling around there as well? Certainly not a usual sight down here :)

Associate
Can you also see the other three cruise ships milling around there as well? Certainly not a usual sight down here :)

Yeah I can see them too but a bit further in the distance, I think one is the Azura and one is the Ventura, although I should say they're anchored off the coast of Teignmouth rather than docked to be correct.

Really adds an interesting view especially at night. Weather back to reality today but still a nice day, though I won't risk any swimming today.

Loving my time in Devon as I usually do, really thinking about moving down for good.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
There was also a pretty huge container ship milling about at the weekend we saw, don't see those much round here either.

Soldato
The Royal George in Appledore is a lovely place for dinner if you can get a table. The Commodore in Instow also does excellent food and the beach is always good for a walk.

Will be there next week probably with an ice cream from hockings if they're still there probably sheltering from the wind and rain in the car, walking the beach if not.

Soldato
I couldn't get a parking space without a fight at South fistral last week at 6 .30 am but although some who go are massive tools I love the place .
Just from my surfing perspective I have fistral that catches every swell but towan on big winter swells where it wraps around then the other town beaches gradually losing shelter northword and all working on slightly different wind directions.
The town centre is very touristy but a walk down the gannel and over to crantock on to holywell is to me why I go on a weekend apart from a surf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom