DFI 975XG and E6600 up and running!

Caporegime
raja said:
looks like the reports Iheard of this board are true, even with 0707 bios around 375fsb is the max. Certainly the CPU is capable of more, this E6600 is capable of 3.85. So i'm limited by the fsb of the board atm.

Still 3385 is not too shabby.

will run 3dmark05 next..

I am running my DFI at 400 x 9 3.6ghz no problem
Having said that I have to use a 4:3 divider on the ram.This is now using my 2 gb gskill. :)

Associate
OP
Perhaps the fact I'm using Crossfire and Raid 0 lead to a reduction of possible fsb, this has certainly been the case on other boards too.

Soldato
easyrider said:
I am running my DFI at 400 x 9 3.6ghz no problem
Having said that I have to use a 4:3 divider on the ram.This is now using my 2 gb gskill. :)

What did you do to get your G.Skill over 320 FSB ?

Associate
Devious said:
What did you do to get your G.Skill over 320 FSB ?

Isn't easyrider's G.Skill running at 300Mhz, because he's using the 4:3 divider on ram with 400 FSB. Having said that I am an overclocking n00b so I could be wrong :(

Soldato
trojan698 said:
Throttling is when clockspeed is reduced in order to lower CPU temps to prevent damage to the CPU. Speedstep is implemented when the CPU is idle right?

I dont think it does, it runs 100% whilst under load.

Don
That's what I thought as well, Speedstep is Intel's equivalent of Cool and Quiet and can be turned on and off in the motherboard. Throttling is something built into the chip to protect it from excessive temperature (something like 90C for Prescotts?).

Jokester

Soldato
No need to turn off throttling because it should never get that high. Is the 61c on the NB because of a passive heatsink?

It'll be funny if gigabyte turns out to be the best :D Both their boards have the best cooling on the NB and SB, coincidence?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Jimi said:
Where's everyone getting these Core 2 Duo's from, they're not even out yet are they?

Some of them are engineering samples, others are just chips that retailers have put out early.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
silversurfer said:
No need to turn off throttling because it should never get that high. Is the 61c on the NB because of a passive heatsink?

It'll be funny if gigabyte turns out to be the best :D Both their boards have the best cooling on the NB and SB, coincidence?

Speedstep works differently I believe, I've heard it can interfere with oc's.

The NB is cooled passivley, so yes it runs hot, best bet is an active cooler.

Both the Gigabyte boards do not support Crossfire the DQ6 is maxxing out @ 360 fsb so far.

The DS3 model only oc's well with 2mb cache cpu's.

Soldato
I only have the cheapy 805 so I dont think I have speedstep to use but throttling jumps the vcore some but then its too hot anyway.

I dont spot the DS3 on ocuk, worth asking for maybe

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Gigabyte_179.html

G1975X
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rview.aspx?ProductID=1955&ModelName=GA-G1975X

DS3
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...iew.aspx?ProductID=2314&ModelName=GA-965P-DS3

motherboardproductimagega965pds3bigow1.jpg

No active cooling, there goes my theory :o :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
I thought the DFI boards tended to be great for overclocking, but now I keep reading things that disagree with that...

I've currently got the DFI board bundled in with my E6700 pre-order, but I want a board that will be great at overclocking. Have I bought the wrong board?

Soldato
DFI are a great brand for overclocking, thats what their all about afiak but this is a new game for everyone so its a scrabble to see who actually guessed whats important for these chips.
Gigabyte seems to accidentally created a monster overclocker under certain circumstances, maybe its a short term fluke either way no one is quite sure what they did right to get it this way.

DFI are due to release about 4 more compatible boards in august, maybe when the dust settles they'll come out on top again.

Back
Top Bottom