Did Brexit kill AlieExpress?

Soldato
It's worth remembering that the actual policing of charging supply VAT for imports instead of import VAT isn't necessarily going to change much afaik - it's still on customs / couriers / mailing companies etc. to spot if that box arriving from Australia has had VAT paid on the correct amount at the correct point isn't it?

Soldato
Now you can buy British value add stuff instead of directly funding the Chinese industry.

That's all well and good, but the British only manufacture about a dozen things.

Yes I say that in jest, but with some kind of truth. I buy some of my IoT electronics on there purely because you just can't buy them in the UK regardless of price.

I guess all that means is that the prices go up slightly.

So for anyone in the know, if I buy a sensor for £5 on aliexpress, and the seller doesn't add on the VAT, am I likely to get stung with the £8-10 customs charge on top?

Soldato
Why will this change anything?
If chinese sellers were happy before to lie about the value of the goods to stay under the £15 limit, what's to stop them just declaring that the package has been VAT paid already even if it hasn't?
I guess they'll need to include a VAT registration number but that would be easy to steal or fake.

Or just continue to lie about the value? Sell an item for £100, declare on the package that the value is £10, pay the £2 VAT on the £10 value.

Soldato
Because you are paying for their time to get it right.
I'm already paying HMRC for their time to get it right and tell me what I owe, along with £8 to the Royal Fail for the priviledge of holding the parcel while HMRC does it's thing.
Why would I then want to pay a retail supply chain extra money for doing what's already been done?

Of course, you could pay all those taxes and duties yourself, but would you get it right?
It's not hard - The Gov.uk website has always been very clear.

Many ordinary businesses in the UK have people whose job it is to do this and they need to be paid. You see, up to now, those taxes and duties on small goods to individuals haven't been collected at all.
For many of those businesses, stuff like this along with various other integrated and related activities can be tax deductible. I'm the end-user customer, so I'm liable for pretty much everything and have no need for complicated calculations, as nothing is deductible. I also have no need to pay someone to do something I can do myself.

Soldato
I wouldn't be surprised if you pay the VAT and get stung for the Royal Mail fee scam

Definitely my biggest problem with importing as a whole. Tired of RM's fee scams and holding parcels hostage. If it was a small % of the total cost of the parcel I wouldn't mind, but when it amounts to half of the cost of the parcel it's just a ripoff.

Soldato
So for anyone in the know, if I buy a sensor for £5 on aliexpress, and the seller doesn't add on the VAT, am I likely to get stung with the £8-10 customs charge on top?

I think aliexpress will operate differently because it's an online marketplace and they have different rules that will make them responsible for the VAT collection rather than the specific seller you're buying from and it's unlikely they will be ignoring the issue

In theory though, if the VAT hasn't been paid, i'm not sure if the process now is that you will be given a VAT bill at point of import instead (as would have been the case last year anyway on anything VAT was due on) or if the parcel would be returned to sender.

Soldato
Definitely my biggest problem with importing as a whole. Tired of RM's fee scams and holding parcels hostage. If it was a small % of the total cost of the parcel I wouldn't mind, but when it amounts to half of the cost of the parcel it's just a ripoff.
It's a unit that is taking up space in their process. It therefore gets charged a flat fee.
Think of it as a tennant renting a room - You wouldn't (shouldn't) charge a larger person more than a tiny person for renting the same room.

Soldato
It's a unit that is taking up space in their process. It therefore gets charged a flat fee.
Think of it as a tennant renting a room - You wouldn't (shouldn't) charge a larger person more than a tiny person for renting the same room.

I know why - I still don't care tbh. Theoretically this new system should allow parcels to go through customs without having to be stung by the RM fees, but if and when they do anyway I will be raging.

Soldato
What is this "drop shipping" people keep mentioning?

When you don't handle the stock yourself - I would be drop shipping (as a crude example) if I offered to sell you a graphics card (for say £500), then ordered it from OcUK (where I knew I could buy it for £450) and put your address in the shipping address. Just imagine it on a larger scale and with less obvious parties involved :p

Soldato
It's not hard - The Gov.uk website has always been very clear.

It still takes you time.

For many of those businesses, stuff like this along with various other integrated and related activities can be tax deductible. I'm the end-user customer, so I'm liable for pretty much everything and have no need for complicated calculations, as nothing is deductible.

So what? Comanies can reclaim VAT where private individuals cannot. It sucks but it's the norm.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Wow I ordered something from DHGate back in October, it's been going around in circles in China for months then suddenly turned up today.

No duties or Royal Mail fee scam either - surprised. Royal Mail provide the world's worst parcel tracking so as soon as it hits the UK it disappears. Why everything isn't tracked as default today is annoying, most other couriers manage it.

cKmMAVrl.png.jpg

Soldato
When you don't handle the stock yourself - I would be drop shipping (as a crude example) if I offered to sell you a graphics card (for say £500), then ordered it from OcUK (where I knew I could buy it for £450) and put your address in the shipping address. Just imagine it on a larger scale and with less obvious parties involved :p
Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation

Don
Wow I ordered something from DHGate back in October, it's been going around in circles in China for months then suddenly turned up today.

No duties or Royal Mail fee scam either - surprised. Royal Mail provide the world's worst parcel tracking so as soon as it hits the UK it disappears. Why everything isn't tracked as default today is annoying, most other couriers manage it.

cKmMAVrl.png.jpg
Not just China, ended up in Ethopia as well :p.

Soldato
I've never heard of the place. You learn something every day.

Buying cheap is not illegal, evading tax is illegal. So if your increased consumer price is at the cost of reducing tax evasion that is a good thing. For the economy and the consumer.

If its anything like the tat you pick up on ebay or even amazon mktplace its also avoiding UK regs on electrical safety.

Soldato
I know why - I still don't care tbh.
You'd care if you were the guy sitting around looking after your parcels while you contest the fees that put food on his table...

It still takes you time.
What, a few seconds to check rates that probably change once or twice a year?

So what? Comanies can reclaim VAT where private individuals cannot. It sucks but it's the norm.
It's still no reason for me to pay them for doing something I can quite easily do myself, and 95% of which is already done for me by HMRC anyway.

If its anything like the tat you pick up on ebay or even amazon mktplace its also avoiding UK regs on electrical safety.
Like everything on such places, some of it is great high quality branded stuff, while others are rip-off junk.
Caveat emptor.

Back
Top Bottom