Did my gearbox got damaged??

Associate
Hello guys I've let my other half drive my e36 328i yesterday and she forced parking gear without pushing the pin to unlock. Now parking break can be engaged without pushing the pin??! Car drives fine but I'm afraid she could potentially did some harm ??? Any ideas ??

Update
I've told her to push the button pin but my heart sank when I saw her pushing it up without the pin pushed in.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Do you mean your gf pulled up the handbrake without pressing it in? Lolz
New car time I’m afraid.

Caporegime
Do you mean your gf pulled up the handbrake without pressing it in? Lolz
New car time I’m afraid.
I’m reading it as an auto that she’s forced into park without pressing the shifter button.

Most likely scenario is that she’s broken the lock/mechanism that prevents you selecting drive/reverse/park without pushing the button in. The gearbox itself is most likely fine. As is the parking pawl assuming the car holds still without the handbrake.

Associate
OP
So car is automatic. She was stationary and forced leaver up to put it into parking gear (not hand break) without pushing the safety pin... now I can shift to it without pushing the safety pin. Car drives fine etc just worried that she could have done something bad.

Associate
OP
I’m reading it as an auto that she’s forced into park without pressing the shifter button.

Most likely scenario is that she’s broken the lock/mechanism that prevents you selecting drive/reverse/park without pushing the button in. The gearbox itself is most likely fine. As is the parking pawl assuming the car holds still without the handbrake.
Yes she didn't push the safety pin to put it in parking gear. Car was stationary at the time luckly

Soldato
She'll have snapped the locking mechanism, but not anything in the gearbox itself. The issue now is that there is nothing preventing an accidental movement of the gear selector whilst the car is moving, and that's where gearbox damage can easily be caused.

Caporegime
She'll have snapped the locking mechanism, but not anything in the gearbox itself. The issue now is that there is nothing preventing an accidental movement of the gear selector whilst the car is moving, and that's where gearbox damage can easily be caused.

Spot on. And given that she's done this, demonstrating why these mechanisms exist in the first place, I'd be getting it fixed and explaining to her what could happen.

I must say though, you must have one hell of a strong lady :D

Associate
Congratulations to all those who have worked out the near indecipherable gibberish in the OP and the following posts.

Gladiators, I salute you!

I mean it's really not that difficult to decipher, yeah it could have been written better but most managed to work it out.

Associate
OP
Oh gosh, yes she is a strong one. Sorry for not making any sense guys but I'm still a little bit upset to say at least... as I only put on 4 new tires, disc and pads front/rear, new coil overs and the last thing I want to replace is the gearbox now. It will be replaced once automatic breaks

Perhaps I can say she broke it and I can get my dreamed manual conversion :D Yet repairs above have cost me a few hundred £££ over the last two months.

Soldato
Wow, she's an animal! :D

Pull the leather gaiter of the shift lever, you might well be able to see where the shift lock is broken and shouldn't be too bad to replace.

You can use the realoem website for part numbers or pictures of the assembly.

Associate
OP
Wow, she's an animal! :D

Pull the leather gaiter of the shift lever, you might well be able to see where the shift lock is broken and shouldn't be too bad to replace.

You can use the realoem website for part numbers or pictures of the assembly.

Well while I'm at it I can replace the T shape gear knob (it looks like the ones used in a plane to take off). I panicked a little as I thought it would kill the gearbox or even worse my straight 6 2.8 :p

I hope nothing major will happen as I do not have time nor money until Friday to fix it. Thanks, guys!

Associate
Well while I'm at it I can replace the T shape gear knob (it looks like the ones used in a plane to take off). I panicked a little as I thought it would kill the gearbox or even worse my straight 6 2.8 :p

I hope nothing major will happen as I do not have time nor money until Friday to fix it. Thanks, guys!

Perhaps it may be worth saying no to driving it until you have the time/money to replace it, better than having it actually break because it goes into park at speed...

Caporegime

I put some decking in the car through the ski hatch a few months ago. Was driving fine and I braked...then the decking moved forward, hitting the gear lever (auto), and moved it from D to Neutral. Next thing I knew I was revving like crazy as the car was in neutral...

Not sure if the pin has snapped though but it did move obviously while the car was moving and at least it went from D to N and not further to Reverse.

Caporegime
I put some decking in the car through the ski hatch a few months ago. Was driving fine and I braked...then the decking moved forward, hitting the gear lever (auto), and moved it from D to Neutral. Next thing I knew I was revving like crazy as the car was in neutral...

Not sure if the pin has snapped though but it did move obviously while the car was moving and at least it went from D to N and not further to Reverse.

Most (all?) automatics I've driven will move from D or R into N without the button needing to be pushed.

Back
Top Bottom