1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't realise the extent that people get ripped off during the Edinburgh Festival!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColdAsIce, 10 Apr 2012.

1. Heliospherez

Mobster

Just wait to the Olympics start.

Then you will really see what rip-off Britain is about.

2. LordSplodge

Capodecina

Supply and demand. Not rocket science. After all holiday flats go from £600+ in August to often less than half that once the kiddies are back at school.

This is all nowt compared to the rates for flats during the Olympics. Greedy Southerners are going to have £££ signs in their eyes.

3. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Supply, demand.

Same thing is happening in London because of the Olympics. Flats in Stratford have doubled, some even tripled their rent.

4. tigerstyle

Sgarrista

Gonna be scary :(

5. Gaz1988

Wise Guy

Edinburghs amazing though :D

6. nst68

Wise Guy

There's a 6 bed house in Chelmsford's "posh" estate, being rented for the Olympics and they want £5000 PER WEEK

It's advertised as "5 mins to Chelmsford station", hmmmm.... and good luck parking there!

Crazy.

7. londonbairn

Soldato

As above hardly surprising. I know of a few people who live near the olympic sites who are doing 1 month long rents for obscene amounts.

If you can, why not?

8. Emlyn_Dewar

Capodecina

Edinburgh is a miserable place during the festival, trying to get to work becomes a painful chore.
    Not surprised at the costs going up, if people are willing to pay the prices, you'd be a mug to charge less.

9. ash_scotland88

Soldato

Feel sorry for me, I've worked in the fringe box office for the past 4years! And for an other company before and after the fringe.

10. shifty_uk

Capodecina

I've said it in other threads a couple of times but I genuinely don't get the fascination with Edinburgh. Unless you're into hiking, bitterly cold weather, the sight of tartan anoraks or riding around in extortionate taxis. We've spent a fair few weekends there because of the restaurants and hotels but I couldn't do any longer.

11. marc_howarth

Gangster

I've worked in a hostel in Edinburgh for the last two years as a summer job. So many tourists that didn't even know the fringe was on come to Edinburgh and are shocked by the prices. I've heard some hostels charging over £100 per night for their last room!!

12. spudbynight

Soldato

Yes, but you have enough cash to not bat an eyelid at it.

:)

13. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Haha, didn't realize this was a joke thread but that one was a cracker!

14. D.P.

Caporegime

These are prime locations at the prime time to be in Edinburgh when there is huge demand and relatively little supply. What do you expect.