Diesel treatments

Soldato
Sweet, they are in the process of building one at Derby now, have you noticed what the price is of their super petrol? Have read its the same as Tesco momentum.

5ppl more than their standard unleaded, which is the same price as their super diesel.

95RON Petrol 108.9
99RON Petrol 113.9
Super Diesel 108.9

Soldato
I occasionally chuck about 400ml of 2 stroke oil in my old PD130 A6 when I tank it up.
After about 100 miles it becomes noticeably quieter and picks up about 3-4mpg over the tank.
Bum-Dyno says it feels a bit more responsive too but I expect thats just the placebo effect.

I only put it in when I have some leftover from work. Usually buy a 500ml bottle of the cheapest green mineral stuff use about 100ml to mix up some 2 stroke for some kit then dump the rest in the car.

I keep meaning to buy a couple of litres and dose it over 5 tanks and see if there are any long term benefits but I've not been doing the miles nor do I have the motivation.

I do however recall the first MOT I had with it the emissions whilst a pass were close to the limits.
The 2nd MOT happened to be when it had some 2-stroke in as I was concerned it would fail, to my surprise it was about a third of the previous years test!
Same garage, same tester, same gear and had been serviced both times prior to MOT by myself.

With the above in mind I gave it the 2-stroke treatment prior to it's most recent MOT and the emissions were similar to the previous (different garage this time).

Read into it what you will, I'd not hesitate to put it in my A6 all the time if I could be bothered as it does seem to make a difference (at least on the trusty old PD130), however YMMV and I take no responsibility should your car self destruct the DPF clogs or you put too much red coloured 2-stroke in and get a tug from the Gestapo.

Used to do this in my old Passat TDI too. I actually have some left over I had forgotten about, so will bang some in the new passat (well, 2002, so only new to me) to see what like. Was certainly less reek than before when I used it. Whether it felt any more responsive or not, I couldn't say.

Soldato
I've run Millers Eco Max and AR6400D and BG244. In summary here's what I've observed:

Car is a 55 plate RAV4 D4D with about 112k on it, FSH but one injector while in Toyota spec, is slightly off compared to the others, occasional hesitance in re-spoiling turbo (suspected carbon build up on variable vane mechanism, only does it when going up hill and changing gear so vanes go from one extreme to another).

BG244: Added this first when car was at 96k, it had a number of service items due at 100k and I figured i'd run a fuel system cleaner through before I changed the fuel filter and did everything else. Car achieved the best mpg i'd logged at the time on that tank (37.53), engine was quieter and that was it. I paid £22.95 for a less agricultural sounding diesel for 400 miles. For comparison Shell V Power gives similar results.

AR6400D: It was suggested that I should have probably gone with something specifically for the injector/turbo side, it would be likely to improve the variable vane issues, so I purchased two bottles on offer, followed the instructions and got bugger all improvement, mpg went down (likely to do with the time of year/temps). Either way no mirracle. I shoved the other bottle through a few months later with similar results.

I've also tried back to back tanks of premium fuel from BP/Shell and Millers Eco Boost added to normal fuel, mpg was slightly better than standard fuel without it, but nothing significant.

I'd just about resigned myself to splitting the turbo one weekend and doing the job properly, when Costco opened up locally selling 'Premium' diesel for less than the supermarket fuel. After a tank I noticed I hadn't had any issues with turbo spool, I put it down to placebo/luck/forgetting it had happened and refilled again at Costco. Two more tanks of Costco's finest later and still no issue, MPG has hit previously unknown levels (so's the temperature in the last week which will have helped), but it's consistently returning higher (calculated) mpg than previous tanks. Either way it's doing better than standard and costing less, what's not to like?

Back
Top Bottom