1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between the ds and ds lite?

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Energize, 25 Jul 2006.

1. Energize

Caporegime

Thinking of getting a ds after playing on my cousins and was wondering what the difference is between them. Does the lite have all the functionality of the original, what are the dimensions, does the lite play all the original games etc?

2. Nismo

Capodecina

Same hardware with a more compact design and a better screen :)

3. Energize

Caporegime

Whats the battery life like between them, can you buy higher capacity ones?

4. AshFU

Hitman

pretty sure the screen + battery life on the lite are better

5. Energize

Caporegime

Has the stylus length been increased, the ds one was too short for me to hold?

Last edited: 25 Jul 2006
  6. jamie2497

Wise Guy

7. GuruJockStrap

Sgarrista

8. Energize

Caporegime

Does it support 802.11a/g or only b?

9. Caustic

Mobster

It is b only, and even then, doesn't use full speed. It is also a little fussy when it comes to which AP/router you can use. Check the web site for info.

10. jamie2497

Wise Guy

Yeah it is only b but there are more routers than the ones listed in the compatibility list that will work, i bought a cheap wireless router from a local computer shop and it worked fine with a WEP key.

11. Windle

Capodecina

[​IMG]

12. GuruJockStrap

Sgarrista

My home network is G only/WPA2 encryption. Can't be bothered switching it to WEP and then back to WPA2 again.

If I play online I just pop down to my local McDonalds and play there while munching on a burger.:D

13. Caustic

Mobster

I'm not sure where you got that list from Windle, here is a link to the current official list from the UK site:

http://www.nintendowifi.co.uk/customersupport/supportedRouters.do

As for compatability, it works great with the D-Link I have at home (DI-624) but doesnn't work at all with the D-Link at work (DI-604) so we had to get another one, (DI-204). Be careful, thats all, google to find what other people say if you are going to buy one for the DS.

14. Wossi

Mobster

As said it only supports wep encryption which is a nightmare for me as my home network is set up with wpa and I can't be bothered to change the setting on 4 laptops :(

15. Energize

Caporegime

I don't use encryption, I just set which mac addresses are allowed to connect in the router control panel, its a lot easier that way and very secure, I was just wondering because I find the range on b to be poor, I don't use wireless for my pcs though, its just too slow and tempremental.

16. andshrew

Mobster

It's not secure at all, sure it'll stop someone from connecting but all the data that is sent is totally exposed to the outside. Anyone could sniff the packets that are being sent and received and be able to see exactly what they contain as theres no encryption.
    Even if your just using it for your DS you should be atleast using WEP encryption.

17. The Pat

Wise Guy

Also the corner on the DS Lite doesn't dig into your muscle for your thumb. :D

18. PiKe

Caporegime

... And Mac filtering so they can't just capture packets and brute force the key.

19. Energize

Caporegime

I'm not too bothered if people can intercept the packets and find out that I'm playing mario kart online, I just use mac filtering because I don't want people connecting to my network and using my bandwidth or getting me in trouble for anything illegal.

20. PiKe

Caporegime

The point is without encryption the mac destination of the packet is obvious, someone can then spoof the Mac, and connect to your access point no trouble. Then get you into a whole heap of trouble and possibly cost you money if you have a low 2gb cap or similar.