Dirty number plates

Associate
This has been bugging me for a while now - I've noticed quite a few cars around recently (primarily BMWs and Audis, unsurprisingly) which are otherwise clean except for the number plates which are often caked in a thick layer of dirt and dust.

Could anyone shed any light on why this is the case? Do the owners do it deliberately in the belief that the number won't show up on a speed camera or something?

I've seem loads like this.

I try to keep the cars clean anyway all year though, but if it's rally cold like it has been if needed I'll clean the lights, plates and windows, and do the rest when possible.

It's amazing how much the dirt can effect the lights at this time of the year.

Associate
OP
It particularly does my head in how obviously localized the dirt is - spotless lights and bonnet, but filthy plates.

I've got a good mind to attack these cars when I see them with a bucket and sponge. :p

Soldato
I suspect it is noticeably BMWs and Audis over many other cars, because they are popular fleet and high usage vehicles, and are therefore often on the road a lot more.

Soldato
hmm my taxis are absolutely manky, but we make sure the lights and plates(no and taxi get cleaned at the start of every shift

Man of Honour
Oh and just to add:

Police should be doing more to target the offenders that drive with blown bulbs, dirty plates, foglights on when it's not foggy or excess snow on the vehicle.

True enough, I have seen sooooo many cars with one or both headlight bulbs not working! My car if pretty filthy though, just too cold to wash it at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom